FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR external audio sync

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Gilding
DSLR external audio sync
on Sep 1, 2011 at 9:55:35 am

I currently work at a small production house that has integrated a Cannon 5D DSLR camera into the work flow. When using the camera, it records audio via it's ambient mic, we are also recording audio via an external Tascam recorder. Can I bring in the 5D video files to CatDV, strip the clip's ambient audio track, then sync up the audio track from the external recorder? I am still learning the ropes of CatDV and don't know if this is possible. Any suggestions would be a huge help!

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: DSLR external audio sync
on Sep 1, 2011 at 2:21:36 pm

HI Ryan

I have a 7D and record to a Zoom 4N PinkNoise in the UK make a really nice Y adaptor that takes the splits headphone output pads it down to mike level with is what your`r DSLR needs and you plug it into the input of the camera. In this way you get monitoring and a clean feed from the Zoom or in your case the TASCAM . This may be all you need and use the Tascam as a backup. If you want to go one step further then , I would recommend Plural Eyes , brilliant stuff, uses the guide track of your camera and pattern matches it to your Tascams files , no need even for a clapperboard. and batches . If you want to go the route you outlined , Goto Qtime Player Pro , this lets you cut and paste tracks into the DSLR qtime files, Then you have to sort out sync, the same would apply in CATDV so I recommend either of the first two options , Also check out 5DtoRGB or magic bullet grinder to transcode to PRoRes as its easier for most NLE`s to handle. Catdv is an asset management tool , it can do lots of cute tricks , but just because it can does not always make it the right way to do things . Its always best to create your assets in the form you want them to be in finally before dropping them into Catdv,. Our worker product facilitates this style of workflow , if you don`t you then have to manage the partial`s that led to the final files creation as well, Can make thinks more complicated. I prefer simple and ditch the transitional files.

Hope this helps

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]