FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just starting out - need advise

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant McCulloch
Just starting out - need advise
on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:38:49 am

Hi, My first post on the Cow.

I've just bought Catdv and I'm still getting my head around it.
What I've been doing is copying all my clips to one dedicated drive then giving them keywords in the log notes > notes field.
The problem is if I search one or more keywords that is attached to the one clip its fine but if I use keywords attached to completely different clips I get nothing.
Example, if I had a flower clip and attached keys flower & nature all those come up but if I had another clip that was say a factory and I attached a key of industrial then searched for flower and industrial I thought I would get both those clips but I don't, I get nothing.
Make sense?
I assume I should be able to do that but obviously I'm doing something wrong.
Can you help?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: Just starting out - need advise
on Sep 1, 2011 at 2:24:13 pm

Hi Grant
I am only answering this post because Bryson answers everything before me, well not this time buddy...

joking

Hey Bryson sleeping on the job , help the man out !

:-)

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

Grant McCulloch
on Sep 1, 2011 at 4:07:19 pm

He he, thanks Kevin. Can someone go wake Bryson?
I'm itching to get started on my cataloging but I don't want to waste time if I'm doing something wrong and have to start over.
For now I've been doing small test batches to try and figure out a proper system. I did watch Bryson's one our tut down in Hollywood.
It was very good and I learned a lot but it was more geared to big shop sharing as opposed to my little problem.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:14:50 pm

Following this thread...think im in the same boat as you grant.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Sep 1, 2011 at 7:32:38 pm

I suggest creating a multi-grouping list in the user defined fields of the preferences and adding the key words to that list in the pick list section of the preferences. This will be a much more useful way of logging and will also give you more options when searching and sorting.

Return to posts index

Grant McCulloch
on Sep 1, 2011 at 7:56:52 pm

Whoa ... I'm going to have to do a lot more manual reading before I can understand that. Thanks for the time though.
I believe my way of thinking is wrong. The program wants to narrow the search with more keywords and I want to expand it. I basically want to enter keywords apple and orange and have a clip of an apple and a clip of an orange come up. Not one clip with both an apple and orange in it.
I realize this is a very powerful application but I just want to start out real simple and dive in deeper from there.
On first thought naming conventions seem easy enough but the more thought that's put into it it's obvious how complicated it can be.

BTW, is just using the notes field ok to start out with for keywords or am I already on the wrong track.
The manual is fairly deep but it doesn't really give much on the basics.
I know I'll finally get my head around it. Went through this with FCS, PS, Dreamweaver etc.

Thanks for helping get me through my new awkward stage.

Return to posts index

Grant McCulloch
on Sep 1, 2011 at 8:47:20 pm

Hey Matt, just found this

and you're hosting it.
Haven't watched it yet but the contents page looks promising.
Hopefully I'll check back here in an hour after watching as an enlightened man.

Return to posts index

Grant McCulloch
on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:41:44 pm

Quote: I suggest creating a multi-grouping list in the user defined fields of the preferences and adding the key words to that list in the pick list section of the preferences. This will be a much more useful way of logging and will also give you more options when searching and sorting.
Ok, I've figured that out and am doing it but I still have the same problem. This is driving me nut's, I've been all day at this.
Very informative video BTW but I still can't figure out why I draw a blank using two or more keywords assigned to different clips.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Sep 1, 2011 at 11:16:37 pm

Ok now that you have these in a list they will appear on the right hand side under automatic grouping all fields so you can sort the values here. You may want to add this to the shortcuts by right clicking on the field. You may also choose to search in the notes or keywords fields specifically by using the find or query buttons at the top. Identified by the magnifying glass icons. The query button is only available when connected to the server.

Return to posts index

Grant McCulloch
Re: Just starting out - need advice
on Sep 1, 2011 at 11:50:49 pm

Ok thanks, I think I'm getting somewhere but still trying to get my head around it.
If I select a clip and put a keyword in the user1 field it creates a folder to the left in that group. Fine. Then if I click that folder it brings up that clip. Fine. If I control click to highlight both folders it get both the clips. Also fine. But if I put both those keywords in the search field It's ok with the one word but goes blank with the two. It would be nice to just type in search words and get those clips. Again maybe I'm not looking at this right.
And I'm really sorry for this question but what is a "value" when I click on the folder on my group bin? Is a value just a keyword or something else?

Return to posts index

Grant McCulloch
on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:54:05 am

AHA!! I just got my head around it! I've been trying to use keywords to expand my search not narrow it down.
I'm using a combo of groups and the notes field and it seems to be a workable workflow.

Thanks Matt!

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Sep 2, 2011 at 3:53:22 am

I am a sorter, I tend to do a search for a single word and then sort away! Also try using the find command or the query command with the server. Here is one of mine in simple view, it's like logging in reverse:)

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:56:32 pm

I take it you're referring to the quick search field in the toolbar? If you type in multiple keywords it does a logical AND, not an OR operation, ie. it only shows clips which contain both keywords. This is the same way something like iTunes works. You start off seeing all your clips. The more you type in the more it narrows down the search until you're hopefully left with just the clips you want.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 2, 2011 at 3:28:29 pm

zzzzzzzz.... what? Hey? Where am I?

Hey guys, there's been a SAN storm here in LA... that and the small matter of a wedding to plan! What did I miss? Oh, you got it. ;)

Sounds like someone was "filtering" instead of searching. Maybe that's a better name for that field up top since it reduces instead of adds?

Rolf, guys? What say? Queries and Filters?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Grant McCulloch
on Sep 2, 2011 at 5:21:01 pm

Thanks for the help guys! I'm cooking with gas now.

I'm looking in the prefs but can's seem to find it. Is there a way you filter the search and stay that way until I change it. I don't want to search the media paths because I've copied over and dropped in whole named folders.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:43:43 pm

You can do View > Filter and create a named filter, that's another way of filtering your catalog, leaving the quick filter free to narrow down the results further.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]