FORUMS: list search recent posts

multi user access to metadata

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dempsey
multi user access to metadata
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:56:23 pm

I've been using catdv standalone pro to log and manage assets from a tour for a year now. As the only person with access to the catalogs, I've provided pdf proof sheets and clip summaries to those who've needed quick perusal of images or info about clips. Very happy with catdv's fuctionality at this level. I do see the potential need to provide more layers of access to catalog metadata for very limitied additonal users, but we are not a networked environment for catdv. Am I correct in the assumption that the web client and html publisher require a networked environment/shared storage to provide access to users in different locations? the basic model might be to allow a search of catalog metadata to someone in another state or office so that they can request full media edits or images from me; not necessarily access to the full media upon search. Does this require a major overhaul or addition to my standalone, single machine catdv configuration?

thanks for any advice.

Brian

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: multi user access to metadata
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:59:34 pm

I know you know that you need a networked environment to use the web so I'll assume that that's probably not what you meant. ;)

I'll see if I can answer what I think you meant. Enough teasing.

You do need CatDV Server since both HTML Publisher and the WebClient are add-ons to the Server itself. Managing multiple users is the purpose of the Server system, to let metadata be shared, updated, viewed and searched.

For a small shop, I'd not recommend the HTML Publisher unless you have a jsp web programmer who can customize it for you. It's really a toolkit to build a site on that's fed by CatDV dynamically. If you don't have a relationship with a programmer, I'd go Web Client. There's a new 2 seat server that you can get for small shops that will do a lot. (the Web Client is concurrent users so unlimited people can use it, just 2 at a time)

The only other way to share metadata is to export it into some sort of web system but that's hard to update/manage and can be expensive to build so Server and it's add-ons generally work out to be cheaper and way easier to manage. (your CatDV edits update instantly)

Again, let's all remember that we're talking about an interactive Web server system that's custom to your shop and will save the average organization thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars in time and shipping costs over a single year.

It's not going to be $100.

Price that out from a web company and Server starts to look like the bargain it truly is.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Brian Dempsey
Re: multi user access to metadata
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:31:38 pm

teasing was in order Bryson...I should've asked about 'catdv server' requirements, my goof!
thanks for the feedback and I'll take a look
Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]