FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bins and Markers

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hallie Mullins
Bins and Markers
on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:16:16 am

I am using CatDV pro. Where is the proper place to create bins? I was creating them in the filters section but you cannot move them around at all. Am I doing this wrong? Also, trying to figure out how to change the color of markers. I feel like I must be overlooking something because these seem like simple actions. Thanks!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Bins and Markers
on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:03:33 am

I've never used "bins" in asset management myself. I believe those are there for import but perhaps Matt or Kevin can weigh in on this one.

As to the marker color, depending on whether you are connected to a server or not, it will be under "User Columns" or "Field Definitions" as Marker Categories.

That should get you sorted.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:23:59 am

HI Hallie
BINS in Catdv really relate to the enclosing folder of the Assets. As such you can use it as Primary metadata. As Bryson alluded to the real mechanisms of Catdv are the Query and Filtering. I have written a lot about this in these forums. So you can set up a Query for Bins ... now you know how they are defined ... If this is how you think of your collections of data. This would be good for searching for a particular P2 card . Here my usual advice is to create an enclosing folder that describes the P2 Card and its subject matter , then put the contents of the card within it . So P2_Car_Rally_10/12/08 , could be found by searching for in the Bin field as P2_Car_Rally .. It is really just another virtual container , in the way that when you save a Catdv catalog , you give it a name. That name is a metadata tag which is searchable , it returns the hits for this in the database , then you can use other filtering mechanism, look at the automatic filters in the tree on the left and , it will for example give you a whole list of extra things to filter the primary query for. So may mantra is , do a fuzzy search , get everything , then filter.. Its very quick to drill down and then go back to the top..

hope this helps

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

Hallie Mullins
on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:17:52 pm

Thanks, you guys were very helpful!

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:14:26 pm

A bin in CatDV isn't really an object in its own right, its a property of the clip. By default the Bin field will pick up the name of the enclosing media file folder but you can type a new value into the Bin field and hey presto, you'll see a new bin in the tree. The tree uses smart folders and automatic grouping to automatically show all the distinct values of the Bin field over all the clips in your catalog. It all happens dynamically.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]