FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving assets to near-line and back

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Handy
Moving assets to near-line and back
on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:12:06 pm

We have yet to purchase CatDV, but we are seriously considering deploying it for the enterprise. I'm curious about archiving. We already archive our raw media to an automated LTO system, but without a DAM. We are also looking at adding a near-line system for storing all of our assets out of production. Since, though, we often have to pull assets from tape, it seems a near-line system would benefit us greatly to supplement the CatDV system.

So my question is, how does one go about copying media from one's SAN to the near-line and then offlining the original SAN media? Is that something we'd have to write ourselves, or are we better off opting for one of the archive plug-ins?

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Moving assets to near-line and back
on Aug 18, 2011 at 8:36:00 pm

It really depends on your tape software. If you use one of the ones that's got the scripts written, it's easy to deal with.

If you like, you could write your own, but it's obviously way easier to just buy it ready to go. The Worker Node can do a ton of things but I'm always a fan of someone else being responsible for the tape working correctly lol. Atempo, DAX and PresStor all talk to libraries and work with CatDV at varying levels.

As far as moving to the nearline and back, that's super simple. The Worker will move files and link to the new one automatically or you can copy and delete later, depending on how you want to handle purges. Spinning archives are super easy to manage with the system.

Note, you may want more than one Worker Node if you have a lot of archive operations as it's serial and only does one action at a time so large file moves can tie up your Worker for a good while.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]