FORUMS: list search recent posts

Point to proxy CatDV didn't create

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Point to proxy CatDV didn't create
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:50:12 pm

Is there a way to point to a directory of proxies that exist for master clips in a catalog that CatDV didn't create?

-Jason

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Point to proxy CatDV didn't create
on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:09:59 am

I'm assuming you mean proxy for media in a catalog. If so, the proxy can be from anywhere as long as they are named correctly and in the right directory in the proxy path.

/Volumes/media_drive/folder/file.mov = hires

/Volumes/proxy_drive/folder/file.mov = proxy

For instance.

That's how the big boys do proxy for hundreds of thousands of clips. Worker is awesome but it's not meant for 200 hours a day of transcoding. ;)

Is that what you mean?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:36:26 pm

[bryson jones] "I'm assuming you mean proxy for media in a catalog."

Yes....I have full res clips that I ran through and created proxy with TC burn in.

[bryson jones] "named correctly and in the right directory in the proxy path"

This is what I'm asking

1) what is "named correctly" They have the same prefix, with an addendum "_TC_Proxy"
2) Right directory? Matching directory strugure?
3) Proxy path - I can't find anywhere to define a "proxy path" Do they have to live on mirrored volume directories? Can it live in a subfolder? The catalog I'm building is on a single machine while I try to get a handle on how to implement this software on a larger scale.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 27, 2011 at 8:58:29 pm

The way CatDV locates proxy media is by specifying a root directory for the original media and a corresponding root directory for the proxy files. You do this in CatDV's preferences. CatDV then takes the relative path of the original media file relative to the original media root directory and tacks that on to the preview root directory, then looks to see if there's a suitable proxy file there.

This means proxy files don't have to be in the same location as the original files but can be in a separate parallel file hierarchy, just as long as the filename and relative path structure is the same. The filename can either match precisely, or you can replace the filename extension with .mov or .mp4.

For example, you might have

Original file: /Volumes/Media/Project/File1.mpg
Proxy file: /Volumes/CatDV/Proxies/Project/File1.mp4
Proxy path mapping: /Volumes/Media => /Volumes/CatDV/Proxies

Does that all make sense?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:29:30 pm

Yes, this does make sense...I need to dig a bit deeper into those settings, but as I have my files:

video_4839_TC_Proxy.mov

and

video_4839.mov

These won't link up as being a high res and proxy version, correct? They HAVE to have the same name, right?

-Jason

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:53:27 pm

Names must match.

This makes you able to edit proxy in FCP and relink immediately.

Any proxy creation script must preserve the name and be able to place the files in place in the proxy structure.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 28, 2011 at 9:22:47 pm

Yes, names and relative paths must match (though filename extension needn't, as discussed previously, plus as well as .mov and .mp4 you can have .jpg proxies for other non-movie types of file).

Return to posts index

Nathan McAlpine
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:39:21 pm

So do I have this correct:

For each new project folder I create, I have to map it with the corresponding Proxy Path.

Your example:
Original file: /Volumes/Media/Project/File1.mpg
Proxy file: /Volumes/CatDV/Proxies/Project/File1.mp4
Proxy path mapping: /Volumes/Media => /Volumes/CatDV/Proxies

Does that mean, if I have 1000 different projects, in separate project folders, that I need to map each of them individually in CatDV? That can't be right, is there a workaround for that?

~ Nate

Return to posts index

Nathan McAlpine
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:03:54 pm

This creates another problem. If I have 1000 different paths, and I archive these projects, is there a way to make these paths auto-update?

~ Nate

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:18:22 pm

Unless you have 1000 different projects and their proxies dotted at random places around your file system you should only have to set up a mapping once for the root of your media hierarchy.

If I set up a proxy path mapping

/Volumes/Media => /Volumes/CatDV/Proxies

then that covers ALL the projects on my media volume:

/Volumes/Media/Project1
/Volumes/Media/Project2
/Volumes/Media/Project1000

Return to posts index

Kevin Young
on Dec 29, 2011 at 6:04:30 pm

Bryson, in a Stand alone setup would you keep your hires and proxies on separate drives? I just started with CatDV 9.4 last night and tried to make proxies. I took quite a while. I have not worked with proxies before so maybe this is normal, but it really slowed down the work flow

Proxies Default setting
Original 1080/60i ProRes EDCAM EX 35mb

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jan 5, 2012 at 12:51:44 pm

There are many different ways of working, depending on what you want to achieve. It may make sense to keep proxies local if you have your full res media on a removable drive. That way you can preview the clips using the proxies to decide if you need to get the drive down from the shelf, but it's certainly not required to have them on different drives.

If it takes a long time to build proxies that could be because of the format you're using. H.264 is very CPU intensive. Offline RT (Photo JPEG compression with uncompress audio) is much faster and gives good quality but at the cost of bigger file sizes. For high end workflows. look at setting up the CatDV Worker Node to automatically transcode media in the background, or use a hardware based solution from someone like Telestream.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:00:51 pm

Hey there, Kev, I wanted to respond to this. (I missed your post originally, sorry.)

As you've probably seen, proxy creation is a Quicktime process so yes, it can take a while.

Standalone CatDV is amazing, for the price. But know that you are a lone gunman so to speak. There's no way to access extra horsepower to speed things up, as in a server install where you can have multiple machines making your proxy and processing files.

If you have to be standalone then you basically have to treat it as an overnight process and let your machine run.

In our larger systems we have multiple machines, clustered, creating the proxy, controlled by the Worker Node. My personal fastest site is 32 cores on fibre storage that can transcode 1 hour of ProRes to h.264 in 6 minutes. I didn't build that cluster, it was there before me and I just got to hitch CatDV to it, but it's impressive to see it run.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Lee Legg
on Feb 4, 2013 at 4:15:02 pm

This thread has been very helpful, but I'm having trouble making CatDV see the proxies I've created. I have my original media in the location E:\Video Projects\B-Roll\General Terminal

I set my Path-Based Proxies location in the proxy manager to E:\CatDV Proxies\E\Video Projects

The names of the files are the same, except the extension. One of the original files is E:\Video Projects\B-Roll\General Terminal\20130123110536.m2ts. The path of the proxy file is E:\CatDV Proxies\E\Video Projects\B-Roll\General Terminal\20130123110536.mp4.

When I click on the video clip in the catalog, the proxy tab does not highlight.

Here's a image of the proxy manager:

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:06:55 pm

The two sections in the Media Search Path preferences don't directly relate to each other. In each case, they specify how to get from the media path (as stored against the clip) to either the proxy or the current location of the full-res media files. In the case of full-res files you might use it to map from a Mac path to a Windows path (or vice versa) if the catalog was created on a different platform, for example.

In your case, you want a path-based proxy mapping of E: => E:CatDV ProxiesE

in order to map E:Video ProjectsB-RollGeneral Terminal20130123110536.m2ts to
E:CatDV ProxiesEVideo ProjectsB-RollGeneral Terminal20130123110536.mp4.

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on May 16, 2013 at 10:39:34 pm

I am trying to work out a way of using the worker to place the externally created proxies (episode and compressor etc) into their correct folders in the proxy path mapping.

I can get the files sent to the external encoders but I am having difficulty getting the worker to pick them back up and place them in the relevant proxy folders.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 16, 2013 at 11:49:32 pm

The only way I've done what you're describing is to receive the files together in a directory, with the proxy named "something-proxy". Then, if you're putting the hi res away with the Worker, you can easily use a regex to remove the "-proxy" from the name and place the proxy in the correct proxy folder.

This only works if the Worker is moving the file, so it has a pre-defined path to use, or at least one that it's "aware" of. If you need to proxy a file that's already in a folder structure...

If you want to drop the files somewhere and have CatDV pick them up and import them, that's really hard as you'd have to query the database for the path, looked up by filename, which is way harder than just scripting the encoding app via command line.

(Warning - blatant advertisement here. I only include these because they answer the question.)

NSA provides scripts for both Compressor and Telestream's Episode command line interface through our dealers.

Compressor can be set up without outside scripts so if you're handy you can probably get that running, or ask your integrator to pitch in. We offer it as a service because some folks don't wanna suffer through the hassle.

Episode and CatDV Worker Node actually have somewhat opposing variable syntax so we wrote a translation script that enables the Worker and Episode to communicate correctly.

Honestly these systems are difficult to support and could impact other your storage (both need directories created for the files to land in) so I don't offer them "on the Cow", (not to mention the hours of dev work that went into them by our staff.)

If someone has a way to determine the correct path to drop a file into the proxy path without a lookup, please post, but we do it through the CLI and if you are interested in the scripts I mention, contact your CatDV Reseller or JB&A rep.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]