FORUMS: list search recent posts

Searching across catalogs using the CatDV Pro

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gardiner Welch
Searching across catalogs using the CatDV Pro
on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:06:09 pm

I am a new CatDV user and wondering if my local CatDV Pro 9 license has the ability to search across multiple local catalogs. I have read that the catalogs should not be larger than 2,000-3,000 clips for performance reasons, but don't want to create numerous catalogs for various SFX libraries only to have them be islands onto themselves.

Ideally I would want to do a search using the browse catalogs function for something like "train leaving station" and have the results turned up across several catalogs at once. This does not seem to work for me in my preliminary tests so wondering if I am doing something wrong or whether this is a server feature only.

Could someone enlighten me as Squarebox support has yet to respond to two emails over the past 2-3 days.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

Best,
Gardiner

Gabba Media, Llc
http://www.gabbamedia.com

Return to posts index

Gardiner Welch
Re: Searching across catalogs using the CatDV Pro
on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:26:38 pm

Um, any ideas? Anyone? Beuller?

Another test partially worked for a 3rd catalog, but still not for the other two SFX catalogs I setup.

The latest catalog had stock music in it and when I searched using part of a song title the search returned 7 entries, which was promising. Unfortunately when I open the catalog it opens saying that it is showing the filtered results, but there is nothing listed in the filtered view.

Hmmm...perplexed. Does the search function only look at certain fields of metadata? I figured it would look for any instance of a word used in the search field to return results.

Again any insight would be appreciated.

Best,
Gardiner

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 13, 2011 at 3:36:32 pm

The Browse Catalogs command only implements basic searching. If you have a large number of catalogs it will find any catalogs that contain the keywords you enter, then when you open that catalog it should highlight the matching clips, but highlighting the clips and searching that catalogs use different mechanisms so there may be a slight mismatch in the results (for example, when you search catalogs it might match something in the catalog notes field, which doesn't necessarily correspond to any particular clip). For full search capabilities you need the CatDV Server, which uses a proper database and means you can search for matching clips regardless of which catalog they are in.

If you forward a copy of your catalog together with the text you're searching for to support@squarebox.co.uk we'd be happy to look into why the filtered results don't show the clips you're expecting. We're in the process of changing our email system at the moment so there may be a slight delay to the handling of emails I'm afraid.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:17:18 pm

Sorry, this one is covered all over the forum. Standalone doesn't search across catalogs, only the Server version does.

Admin, can we get an FAQ started on this forum?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jul 13, 2011 at 11:12:57 pm

I requested to be an admin and was told no, maybe we should start a petition lol:)

Having stickies for some of the reoccurring questions would be immensely helpful to all the users of this forum especially the end users looking for quick answers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]