FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV and Adobe Premiere Pro Workflow?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Sgaraglino
CatDV and Adobe Premiere Pro Workflow?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 2:47:19 am

What are some tips is using CatDV with Adobe Premiere Pro?
Is there a way to get the work done in CatDV to show in Premiere Pro; ie Notes; so that when I tag a files in CatDV I can see that in Premiere Pro?

---
Warm Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Twitter

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: CatDV and Adobe Premiere Pro Workflow?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 2:24:08 pm

Currently Adobe does not support the drag and drop mechanism with xml and my understanding is they are actively working on this. Shortly after this is implemented both CatDV and MME will likely support the drag and drop with metadata to Premiere. In the meantime you should continue to export and import FCP xml.

Return to posts index

Chris Sgaraglino
on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:05:08 pm

"In the meantime you should continue to export and import FCP xml."

Can you tellme a little about htis process?

---
Warm Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 13, 2011 at 4:01:30 pm

You can send clips with log notes over to Premiere Pro via FCP XML files. Unfortunately, the FCP XML support in CatDV is restricted to the professional edition, and I believe you only have standard edition.

You can export a Premiere Batch Log from CatDV Std, but that's really designed for older tape-based workflows. I don't know how useful it is for modern file-based workflows.

Even if you can't send metadata over to Premiere, you can still use CatDV to catalog your assets and search to find clips you want to use, then drag and drop them straight into Premiere. This will work just as if you were dragging the files from the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer and should work with any editing application.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jul 13, 2011 at 11:15:02 pm

One added bit there is Final Cut Pro Mappings in the preferences so you can send custom user fields over through the xml export as well and this has proven invaluable with many FCP xml workflow and CatDV!

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:53:13 pm

"Even if you can't send metadata over to Premiere, you can still use CatDV to catalog your assets and search to find clips you want to use, then drag and drop them straight into Premiere. This will work just as if you were dragging the files from the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer and should work with any editing application."

hmmmm....

Adobe introduced something called the Media Browser starting CS4.
This is the method they recommend for importing material from files based workflows, particularly from material based on structured folder sets (like MXF) for example. Basically it allows them to translate these various folder structures back into browsable material. It's also particularly important in dealing with material where clip media may have been spanned across folder sets (which happens often in the case of P2 material).

So let's say you do your initial library query in CAT DV, and it returns a found set, some of that found set is of the MXF variety....

I should be able just drag and drop in to the project panel in PPro? Skipping the Media Browser?

I'll ask this in PPro forum as well, but not knowing anything about Cat DV I thought I'd see what the gurus have to say...or maybe there is something that Cat DV does with MXF or spanned media that negate the Media Browser in PPro?

Thanks,

Alex

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Chumney & Assoc. Advertising

Return to posts index

Chris Sgaraglino
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:56:16 pm

Not when you have to down-convert the clips because CatDV can't handle M2Ts files!

---
Warm Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:10:15 pm

Actually, with CatDV 9 and Xuggle installed you can play .mts files natively in CatDV without having to downconvert them. Xuggle playback stutters a bit but the quality should be good enough to preview and log a clip, and you can drag files straight from CatDV into your Premiere Project window without having to use the Media Browser.

Doing it that way you can send over complete files (no subclips) and won't get any log notes or other metadata going with it. To send over subclips, metadata and sequences export an FCP XML file from CatDV and import that into Premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]