FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV and FCPX

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Werneck
CatDV and FCPX
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:30:42 am

Ok, I know that probably you can't answer specifically a question but at least shed a light on it.
Since, as it now, FCPX doesn't support XML, is CatDV 9 going to support it?
Cheers,

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV and FCPX
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:02:12 pm

When FCPX supports import of Final Cut Pro projects (!!???!!) I'm sure 9 will support it. ;)

I am stunned that they didn't give us a path to upgrade a project from FCP7, but as has been said, there will be many more features released in the near future.

Rolf, you or Kevin got any insight?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:19:00 am

We have had various discussions with Apple but this is very much a 1.0 release of FCPX, which doesn't yet have all the hooks required for 3rd party integration. They will come, however, and when they do we're committed to providing tight integration between CatDV and FCPX.

Return to posts index

Matt Penn
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:05:44 pm

Good to hear, guys. I had wondered, with Final Cut Pro X's MAM tools built in to the system what the game plan was with CatDV.

Matthew Penn
Post Production Supervisor
Citi

Return to posts index

Lucas Werneck
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:32:21 pm

Hi Matt, I don't know where did you find FCPX's MAM functionality but I think that you'll need to revisit your MAM definitions.
cheers,

Return to posts index

Matt Penn
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:19:42 pm

Lucas,
I should clarify that I do not believe that FCPX is suddenly an asset management solution. Final Cut Pro X has added the iLife Event Library philosophy to the core of it's media management, and while I'm not a fan of this for shared workspace shops and Enterprises where it should be living on a SAN rather than managed locally, it has robust keywording and sorting capability, and adds some neat image processing, such as breaking down shots through the "find people" analysis tool. Too bad this is marred by the puzzling form this release has taken, and I feel Apple is taking deserved criticism.

The fact that Rolf and the folks at Squarebox are monitoring this, and talking to Apple is encouraging. I would love to see, as Final Cut Pro X matures (frankly to what it should have been out of the door) with methods to plug in and exchange information with the true MAMs like CatDV is something I look forward to.

I'm not worried in the near term, because we have our CatDV investment, we have our stable Avid and FCP7 NLE's that work well for us, and we'll be ready when all the next gen tools are ready as well.

Matthew Penn
Post Production Supervisor
Citi

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jun 25, 2011 at 3:34:25 pm

"we have our stable Avid and FCP7 NLE's that work well for us, and we'll be ready when all the next gen tools are ready as well."

I think this is a sensible approach to the recent changes as CatDV and many other products will undoubtedly work with Apples new offerings in good time.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:06:57 pm

Rest assured that we are very much on top of this, we have been talking to Apple over the past few months and will respond in any way necessary to ensure a continued high level of integration between CatDV and FCP once the hooks for this become generally available.

FCPX 10.0 is very much a 1.0 release of a brand new product, to the extent you can almost view it as a public beta (though of course Apple will never refer to it as such). It's not surprising therefore that a lot of higher end features such as AAF and XML support are missing in the initial release.

It's perhaps unfortunate that Apple didn't continue to make FCP7 available in the meantime, as that would have eliminated a lot of the anxiety and uncertainty that everyone with a large investment in FCP is feeling at the moment, but I'm sure Apple are actively following all the blogs and are well aware of what features users are crying out for.

I'm confident that in the coming weeks and months we will see announcements from them that address any perceived shortcomings. When they do, we are firmly committed to updating CatDV accordingly, but in the meantime of course FCP7 and CatDV continue to provide a compelling integrated solution. Just because FCPX was released doesn't mean FCP7 will suddenly stop working!

-Rolf

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:43:17 pm

From Apple's new FAQ on FCPX.

"Export
Can Final Cut Pro X export XML?

Not yet, but we know how important XML export is to our developers and our users, and we expect to add this functionality to Final Cut Pro X. We will release a set of APIs in the next few weeks so that third-party developers can access the next-generation XML in Final Cut Pro X."

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 25, 2011 at 9:30:49 pm

Kind of quiet on this thread. Any more news on releasing those hooks? Just wondering, it's been over a month now. Seems like we're getting into that "we'll be releasing those soon" time.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 25, 2011 at 9:59:40 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "Kind of quiet on this thread. Any more news on releasing those hooks? Just wondering, it's been over a month now. Seems like we're getting into that "we'll be releasing those soon" time."

Everyone is on "Apple time." Soon is whenever Apple declares it to be unfortunately.

Precisely why we're moving away from FCP / Apple altogether.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 27, 2011 at 9:13:27 pm

Everyone knows what Apple are like with regard to not announcing forthcoming features until they're ready. I'm sure they're well aware of the need for additional support for advanced workflows, however, and will release new versions of FCP X to plug the "missing" features just as soon as they can. They said as much on their FAQ page.

My hunch is that we'll see the first fruits of this sooner rather than later, more like IBC (this September) rather than having to wait until NAB (next April), so I don't think there's any need to move away from FCP just yet. Plus of course FCP 7 continues to work just fine in the interim.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jul 26, 2011 at 1:04:41 am

Because I'm not under NDA with Apple and can freely dispense rumors. lol I'll pitch in.

From what I know, most companies do programming in "blocks". I'm sure Apple is the same. There's no way to know what is coming in any one "block" but I would guess that we'll hear updates on 1 to 3 month cycles (again, no way to know what Apple's cycles are) and if I had to further guess, which I do cause I don't know a damn thing for certain, the first block would just be bug fixes and so maybe 2 to 6 months til anything "real" happens as far as additions. (I have heard that XML is "important" to them.)

Now, Mr. Jones, why do you claim that that doesn't matter a bit to my organization?

1 - If you are stable now, stay on FCP7... as long as you can. My largest Avid shops are on 3.1.3 and refuse to upgrade because they like it and see no reason. (current version is 5.5x)

How???? -see any forum online about ways that folks are getting FCP7 while buying X.

This is pretty commonly done and in fact, I've seen it since FCP 5 and most any larger consulting/integration company will, privately, admit to this. Apple simply gives you no other alternative if you are in production already. For the record, I will not do this but I can't stop a client from doing it. If you're big, bug your rep to let you add to your Volume License. I see this as buying you 6 months to 2 years. (Remember how long we used those G5's?)

2 - A lot of my integrations don't actually use the FCP links that much. (what?!) Read that again... although we show them in demos and they are wonderful, asset management can be done incredibly effectively with no hook to the editing system and a lot of clients simply import their assets without using the FCP data. (Especially in workflows where we hit CatDV first before FCP ingest) Yes, this is heresy, and yes, it's actually often the case. Not many of the big-iron MAM solutions have any hooks to the editing systems so we know it can be done. And I've done tons of Avid shops that until recently had to way to send and receive metadata to CatDV. (thank the Lord for MME) And those work fine as well.

The main issues on this board seem to be media tracking and archiving. Neither of them actually requires a link to the edit flow to work. If you have a solid naming convention and good project layouts, you can drop the media into CatDV and go about your way.

Will I applaud the day that FCPX can transmit data into CatDV and receive it? Yes... will I cease asset management operations until then? No way. There's so much media being created and not tracked that each day we wait puts us further and further in the hole. Start now...

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]