FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCS - r.i.p. 2011

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bryson jones
FCS - r.i.p. 2011
on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:22:57 pm

As of today... Final Cut Server is end of life.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/21/with_release_of_final_cut_pro...

Here's to hoping that our friends who have it running get some good aftercare and can keep their systems solid.

But at least we can stop answering "comparison" questions. Now, about those FCS > CatDV import scripts...

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Kutchera
Re: FCS - r.i.p. 2011
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:27:42 pm

Although Final Cut Server was built around a collaborative workflow and a degree of task automation, a lot of people have been using it to catalog and store their media assets. This is something CatDV has proven to be far superior at doing. So this could be a good day for CatDV. Import scripts would definitely clinch it.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:22:27 am

eeeh - you boys beat me to it. When you go to the Apple Final Cut Server URL, it redirects you to FCP X.

I guess there is a big party at Cat DV today. This is the biggest present you could ask for.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:28:25 am

xml support in FCPx would have been better lol:)

Return to posts index

Lucas Werneck
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:33:15 am

Ok, I confess I'm a FCSVR user.
Now, despite the XML in FCPX problem (let's say this will be solved I presume), if I have 10 editing stations and 8 production stations (also with FCP7) what I should need to migrate from FCSVR to CatDV (I have one license of the standalone pro)?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:43:12 am

Kind of a workflow question really, contact us offline and we will connect you with a system integrator. There really are components that you may or may not want based on your workflow.

Client options
http://www.squarebox.co.uk/archiving.html
http://www.squarebox.co.uk/mxfopt.html

Server options
http://www.squarebox.co.uk/webclient.html
http://www.squarebox.co.uk/worker.html

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:45:59 pm

Let's lay it out there... you will buy more software. It won't be $1000. However, the speed of integration and ease of modification cannot be compared.

If you are a "figure it out" guy, then CatDV is more expensive. The truth is, there are not that many of those in the world. If you're paying to get server up and running, then CatDV will be cheaper in the long run in almost every case.

This will be tough for FCSvr guys, and I know a ton. It sucks when products go away but from a business standpoint, a $1,000 asset management package was never really $1,000 when you factor in all the time spent setting it up and keeping it humming.

If you were using it for transcodes and file moves, and you're super handy, then you can duplicate that with Compressor and some fancy scripts. Otherwise, you were probably paying a good bit of money to get it integrated and it's not as big of a deal.

I'll admit, FCSvr was super powerful for the money, but few could really leverage that power. In the end, I suspect that was it's undoing.

They took a $100,000 product (ArtBox), that you were required to purchase integration for, and made it $1,000 and left the install up to you. How many folks did they think would "figure it out"?

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:23:34 pm

I think that the WebClient will be the best solution for FCSvr migrators as it's browser based and serves a ton of clients without "hard" licenses.

I do have to strongly agree with Matt, without some discovery work, there's not a good way to lay out licensing and what config you need as CatDV is purchased in pieces instead of a single "server license" like some products.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Lucas Werneck
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:48:28 pm

Thanks guys,
I think WebClient would be perfect for 50%, but the "problem" is that clients should "search" in CatDV and then send the results to FCP7 to edit (since FCPX is lame and schizophrenic). I know that WebClient wouldn't do that, right?
I need also that all clients could possible ingest to server, add metadata, search and sent to fcp.

Maybe I think I'll need
12 CatDV Pro Clients
1 CatDV Server
I can't find any price information about the server (besides upgrades and bundles). Can anyone shed some light?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:19:58 pm

Matt, you wanna step in here. If you like, Lucas I could also speak to the migration for you, if you need.

What part of the world are you in?

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:49:10 pm

I do not want to open up a pricing discussions on this forum.

In North America CatDV is sold through resellers. Lucas you can email me so we can connect you with a reseller to answer your questions.

matts@jbanda.com

Return to posts index

Lucas Werneck
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:19:25 am

Thanks again guys,
I'm from Brazil.
I really need some idea of investment in order to begin planing it. I don't need a complete quote as it now, maybe in a week or so. But just a figure would help me a lot!
Thanks,

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:59:26 am

If you contact us at sales@squarebox.com we'll put you in touch with a local reseller in Brazil.

Return to posts index

Don Banduchi
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:58:24 pm

I am a current FCSvr user who is thinking about making the transition to CatDV, however I alread have a massive database. Is there any possibility that CatDV will offer a tool to transfer the database over?

I just can't afford to spend the labr transferring all my assets, many of which are linked to online proxies in mediasilo. I'd rather go down with the ship than start over.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:13:58 am

We don't yet, but this is something we are working on.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:22:42 am

I am part of a team in LA that are fluent in both systems. There was a meeting last week about this very integration.

It will be automated. It will be purchasable. We're not sure yet if it's a service or a bit of code since FCSvr systems are so specific. Maybe a bit of both. But I've remained friendly with FCSvr programmers on both coasts in the states and we are in discussions now.

The good news is, you don't have to move today but if you're looking to do it fairly soon, that might force our hands a bit to move quicker.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]