FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV and RED Footage

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Robbins
CatDV and RED Footage
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:41:18 pm

Hello, I have been looking into using catDV for cataloging rED footage. CatDV has posted on their site (http://www.squarebox.co.uk/faq157.html) that it supports RED footage with REDCODE installed. However, I have not been able to find anyone asking questions, or talking about this at all.

Does anyone use catDV in their RED workflow? If you do, how is it? and are you aware of a way to get REDCODE installed without CS4 installed?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV and RED Footage
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:59:30 pm

The folks who I know who are using it are mostly doing it to just catalog the assets as far as "where is it". It's a tough fit into the workflow because the RED uses so many files for a single "clip" whereas CatDV is centered on a more Quicktime based single file per clip methodology.

That, coupled with the fact that RED shoots were traditionally shorter format have , I think, kept folks from adding CatDV into their workflows.

Obviously the search and archive functions would be great but it's hard to deal with the fact that for each "clip" in CatDV there are quite a few assets to track. It could be done, but mostly you'd use CatDV after the assets were in FCP and go from there while maintaining a "RAW asset" catalog for the original camera files.

I'd be thrilled to hear how folks may have done this. Our own Kevin Duggan knows a bit about RED. ;)

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Bas Caminada
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:00:21 am

Hi,

So is there no way you can view thumbnails of the red footage and convert to proxy or other formats.
It is essential for us to keep track of what is backed up on LTO tape as you do not want to unarchive a
tape first to know what red media is on there, so to keep a low quality proxy of a thumbnail would be brilliant to keep.

Regards,

Bas

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:33:49 pm

Remember, anything that Quicktime can see, CatDV can display. If your computer can't preview or display it, then CatDV can't. If your computer can display it, so can CatDV.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Bas Caminada
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:30:47 am

Thanks,

So with the Red codec installed it should be able to play the quicktime raper, which is not the case so maybe something else is wrong. Got all the EX3 (mp4) to read by installing the Calibrated codec so that seems to work beatifully. Pity my demo version 9 expired this morning so have to get a new license to test the RED workflow.

On a slightly different topic, I believe you going to Mediatech in South Africa in july for a presentation. Are you going to talk about CATdv specifically or Digital media asset management in general if i may ask?

Bas

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:20:36 pm

I'll try to get a test on some RED stuff today. I haven't looked at it in a while.

As to the South African thing, I'll be speaking on generalized asset management. But I'll be there from Tuesday on and available for CatDV discussions. (Friday is my "free" day at the show)

If you are near there, I'd love to see you. Stop in and say hello.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Robbins
on Jun 30, 2011 at 8:45:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback/discussion guys! Bryson, if you get around to doing those tests I would obviously be very interested in what you find.

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Nov 28, 2011 at 2:57:44 pm

Any of you get CatDV 9 to see red files? Downloaded the standard version this morning to test it out and the app crashed when I pointed it to an R3D file. Searched the help and nothing comes up under R3D. I have redcode installed and I can play the proxy files down in quicktime. However when I restarted CatDV and pointed to a proxy file it just shows me the QT icon and not the clip. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 29, 2011 at 1:31:43 pm

If you have the RED codecs installed you should be able to import the .mov reference movies and have them play in CatDV. You may need to check the "resolve data references" option under Advanced Media Handling prefs.

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Nov 29, 2011 at 1:56:59 pm

That worked. Thanks Rolf ! I can see the red files now!

Return to posts index

Josiah Thiesen
on Oct 6, 2012 at 1:20:15 am

Here is a work flow that has been working well for me in a collaborative environment:

Redcine X Pro
-> Create 640x480 h.264 Proxy
-> Create 1080p EDIT ProRes Proxy

Import EDIT ProRes Proxy to CatDV and place H.264 Proxy in directory CatDV is looking for their Proxy Files.

Create an edit in CatDV

Export XML

Import Edit into Premiere

Edit in Premiere (it uses the ProRes Proxy Files)

Export XML to Davinci Resolve

Add R3Ds to Davinci Resolve's Media pool

Color Correct R3Ds using Davinci

Export to delivery format and XML to go back to Premiere

With this, we get a fast Offline workflow yet still the raw R3D files for finishing.

Return to posts index

Brian McClatchy
on Dec 10, 2012 at 9:42:54 pm

is there a way currently to make this work with Epic R3D files without quicktime. I am working on projects with so many TBs of data that there is no way that I can generate proxy files from all the footage, Premiere Pro works fine with the original footage without transcoding but I am lookng for a better archive solution.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 10, 2012 at 10:24:07 pm

Funny you should revive this thread.

We are currently doing an implementation where we are cataloging and archiving RED EPIC footage.

As of CatDV 10.0.1, you can use an .mov or .mp4 proxy of a R3D file so if you can create a proxy, you can have CatDV show the proxy and then you can manipulate the R3D's. We are using an outside script to drive REDLINE and batch jobs to create proxy for CatDV to use

One note, you can't use REDLINE with Worker Node on its own due to the fact that REDLINE doesn't have job management so if you start a job from the CLI, it just keeps stacking up jobs and doesn't queue them to keep you processor from being swamped. However, if you just want to use REDCINE X and create proxy and put them in place manually, it works fine.

So while you can't "read" R3D's natively in CatDV, we certainly have a solid workflow for RED files now, in my opinion.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Hannah Vinson
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:02:08 pm

At this point, what is the easiest way to bring in the Raw Red footage (which I am able to do now) Then link it to the proxies I made in Redcine that are .movs? Maybe I overlooked something, they have the same exact name and are in the proxy folder, along with all my other proxies that link up great. On a different note, the Xuggle plug-in works fantastic for our C300 and C100 footage, especially for making proxies. So kudos for that!

Hannah Vinson
DP & Whatever else needs to be done :)
Water Street Media Works

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:59:53 pm

Ah, here I go eating my words...

There currently are some serious issues with the RED EPIC workflow. I spoke too soon about support for this. While we have been able to design a batch system for automation of the proxy, CatDV only views the R3D files while REDCINE and REDLINE make "proxy" of the entire clip, represented by the .RDC folder.

Squarebox is taking a look at this now, but if you notice, your proxy is likely named:

clip_name.mov

While your files are:

clip_name_001.R3D
clip_name_002.R3D
clip_name_003.R3D
etc...

If you have a single R3D you can automate the rename so that your proxy matches the .R3D file and CatDV 10.0.1 will link them but spanned clips would end up with a full duration proxy for each segment of the R3D and I think this is not a great idea.

Also, by "fooling" the system, we move away from actually managing the files so archiving systems would fail to operate correctly.

Can you let us know the frame size and what camera you are using?

I can get 2K files in but 4K and 5K seem to not import correctly and Squarebox support is investigating this. Can you confirm?

Sorry to speak too soon on this but I feel like there is a solution forthcoming.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Hannah Vinson
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:03:40 pm

We are shooting with the Scarlet at 4k HD. Thinking about it now, I see that linking the proxies with the R3D files is tricky because they are broken up into smaller files. So, at this point would you suggest our work around be exporting out ProRes (with the same RED files names) and linking those to the proxies? Then, possibly in the future, we might be able to link the actual files.

Hannah Vinson
DP & Whatever else needs to be done :)
Water Street Media Works

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:23:08 pm

Currently, if you can use a mezzanine file, that's the best way to tackle it.

As more software natively edits RED footage we're hoping to see updates from Squarebox to address this. They are currently evaluating it.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]