FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV and CatDV

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Outwater
HDV and CatDV
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:10:17 pm

I'm trying to get a workflow up an running for an HDV archive.

I'm going to down convert my library to DV to get the metadata with CatDV.

*any chance I could get away with doing it just in HDV...i read this in the manual:

Extract date-time metadata and perform scene detection when importing HDV transport stream files.

IF I can't just do HDV, is there any way to apply the metadata specifically DV_start/stop data from the down converted tapes to the HDV file so I can export an xml file of HDV file for FCP?

I'm using clipwrap to rewrap the m2t stream to QT.

Thx!

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: HDV and CatDV
on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:40:39 pm

You have a number of options, you can import an .m2t file and have the basic file cataloged with metadata but without thumbnails and without being playable, or you can import a ClipWrapped or FCP-captured HDV movie but without the metadata, as it's been thrown away by that stage. The best way to import files and preserve metadata is using Live Capture Plus to create proxies by downconverting an entire tape to DV, then send those to FCP and batch recapture just those clips you want to edit with there. Alternatively, if your clips and ClipWrapped files are named the same way, you may be able to bulk attach them to the HDV files but that could get a bit fiddly.

Return to posts index

Kurt Outwater
on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:11:14 pm

So there is no way to copy Event Markers from one clip to another in CatDV? I guess I could use scene detection as well.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:15:24 pm

Yes you can copy and paste event markers and Metadata using the copy and paste metadata command in the edit menu.

Return to posts index

Kurt Outwater
on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:43:03 pm

I was able to do this in the Verbatim Logger.

1. I did the normal scene detection with the Cat. DV down convert of the HDV file.

2. Opened the DV capture up in the Verbatim Logger. and Copied the scene information to the clipboard.

3. Opened up the HDV capture and paste special into the scene window on the right.

4. The marks matched up!

****word of caution..i've been using clipwrap to rewrap the m2t files to QT there is a -3 frame timecode difference for some reason. You can adjust this in CatDV with a TC offset and then add timecode track to QT.

*****the marks can look off in the viewer of CatDV...but when you open them in FCP they are OK.

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:04:57 pm

That is good info Kurt especially the 3 frame difference!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]