FORUMS: list search recent posts

Too many clips in catalog

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Valentin Chernov
Too many clips in catalog
on May 20, 2011 at 8:02:03 am

Hi all!

I have a problem with catalogs that contains more 4000 clips.
When I try to see such catalog

CatDV shows error (screenshot):
java.lang.RuntimeException: Out of memory
and doesn't display anything.

But "Activity monitor" shows more theh 2 Gb free memory.

Total system RAM: 4 Gb.

I use CatDV 8.1.11 on Mac OS X.

How can I use catalogs with several thousands of clips?

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: Too many clips in catalog
on May 20, 2011 at 6:23:19 pm

That is about right I typically suggest a ceiling of two or three thousand assets in a catalog. In the preferences under advanced functionality on a mac you can adjust memory allocation.

Are you running a Desktop version?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 21, 2011 at 5:40:17 pm

Thkns for raising this and reminding me to post this question.

Matt, Rolf, Kevin, can we put this to bed? I'd love to have an "official" number that, if you go over, is considered "possible but unsupported". There maybe should be published guidelines. So people can plan their structures, even as I know every machine is different.

At least folks would have an idea so they could plan catalogs and of course if they were above that they'd know to expect trouble.

As has been stated, my personal methodology is if I had to have 100,000 assets online, I'd have 500 catalogs, not 50. I did a search the other day and modified 9,900 assets in a single stroke but I'd not want to work on that day to day.

Could the folks on this board pitch in and talk about where the app is reliable in the real world for them?

Who's running what out there, in a solid reliable fashion?

I'm saying 1,000 as my personal max for video assets. What's your number?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on May 22, 2011 at 2:56:33 pm

Bryson by no means am I the one to set any limits but for the desktop I would say 2-3 thousand assets. For server deployments 1-2 thousand assets. I have had users make catalogs with over 30 thousand assets (the worker made them actually) and they would query just fine but trying to open the catalog obviously brought the machine to it's knees.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 22, 2011 at 4:56:09 pm

That's exactly what we need here. I'm not able to set a limit either, but if we all post our numbers, we can give folks and idea of what to expect, real world.

Thanks man, anyone else got numbers?

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on May 23, 2011 at 6:50:32 pm

Hi All
its funny how this one keeps coming back , Catdv server is a query engine , you do not have to open catalogs at all. Catdv standalone has a mechanism of saving clips in a file called in CATDV speak a catalog.
For this I would go with 2-3000 clips as being the sweet spot. A lot of confusion comes about because the Server version still has the ability to save catalogs , think of them as folders. Now it does not make sense to put all of your media on the root of the directory of your hard drive without using folders to provide a modicum of structure , and indeed this is true in Catdv Server. However any query transcends these boundaries and looks into all of the CATALOGS or FOLDERS in this analogy. On a Mac think of it as a Spotlight type of search , it looks everywhere. Again though to be efficient in your searching do not do "brute " searches on "any logging field" help the system and yourself by giving it helpful hints .. SO YEAR > "search term" will be very much quicker as it will discount all entries that are outside the parameter of the year specified. This makes it quick and is what we mean by an indexed search. Note the catalog name is not required, but of course you could use it to restrict your search to a specific catalog. Hope this makes sense..
If you search this forum you will find I have written many words on this subject . Hi Valentin ... you can also increase the memory allocation to the Catdv Client in the preferences for very large catalogs , this would help your current situation...

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 23, 2011 at 8:05:44 pm

Well said, once again Kevin. ;)

I'd still like to hear folks experiences on large catalog sizes in standalone. BUT... as we have said, if you have server, do yourself a favor and keep the size down.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on May 25, 2011 at 8:17:39 am

The limit isn't really on the number of clips but on the number and size of thumbails (and other metadata in the catalog) and also how you use CatDV. Thumbnails are the main use of memory (unless you're in the habit of regularly pasting megabytes of text into the Big Notes field!), not just the stored thumbnail data but also scaled representations depending on what view you've selected.

If you're having problems opening a large catalog, quitting and relaunching CatDV and switching to the 'Concise' view will help. Conversely, if you maximise your window on a large monitor, then cycle through the views with different thumbnail sizes at the same time as rapidly scrolling through your catalog then you'll rapidly eat up memory because of the all the scaled thumbnails it's caching. I regularly work with catalogs with 10,000 clips or more without problems, but it all depends on what you're doing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]