FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV in Multi-Offices

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chandos Mahon
CatDV in Multi-Offices
on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:26:57 pm

Can CatDV be set up in multiple offices/locations - Would that be one database or can we synchronize several databases - I need general architecture concept

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: CatDV in Multi-Offices
on Apr 29, 2011 at 8:09:05 pm

Chan I know we had a chat about this so for the benefit of others I will give a brief answer. There are two general ways of thinking about this based on the infrastructure in place. Likely utilizing third party tools to accomplish this or potentially entirely with in CatDV.
1. A live connection (third party tool) between the databases for continuous synchronization
2. Incremental or timed exchanges of records either directly (third party tool) or via XML or catalogs flowing back and forth as required.

There are many possibilities and or combination to achieve this so a clear understanding of the workflow and infrastructure is required to implement the best solution.

Return to posts index

Whitney Sickels
on May 2, 2011 at 7:22:56 pm

I was just discussing this with my colleague and trying to formulate a plan. I work from our international office in Amsterdam, Netherlands and we run off the server. We have a separate (different footage) database in our Washington, DC office and currently only the archivist is using CatDV (not server based).

If I want to send a video clip, not the whole catalog, with the corresponding information (mainly Log Notes panel and Event Markers) what is the best way to do this? She has access to our video files via VPN and MOST fields in Log Notes are similar. I tried exporting/importing a CatDV XML file but the fields were not mapped correctly.

Any input appreciated!

We're both on Mac OSX, CatDV 8.1.11

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on May 3, 2011 at 8:53:34 am

Hi Whitney.
What you want to do is sync the fields between the server and the standalone copy of Catdv in the States. For your version their is a workaround , version Nine makes this a more elegant solution !.
In Holland goto User/Library/Preferences/ and locate your CATDV preference file. Drag a copy to your desktop. Zip up this file and send it to your colleague. Get them to place the pref file in the same place on their system that you got it from.. ie User/Library/Preferences/ it is going to overwrite an existing pref file. so make sure that they have their existing license code available as CATDV will sync the fields but lose the registration and will need to be re-registered! ...
Once this is done Catdv will now have exactly the same fields and layouts as the Dutch Mothership and you will be able to just exchange catalogs between yourselves ...

Hope this helps

KEvin

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

Whitney Sickels
on May 3, 2011 at 2:20:51 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your input! We did send our preferences to the US office and oddly, only about 50% of the fields/preferences are the same. Not sure what happened there, but we can try again. (?)

With that being said, we have come to find that there are some fields that aren't going to be the same anyways. (We have production numbers, the US office does not, etc.) I remember seeing a tutorial where different clients expected different information from the same clip and this was doable (perhaps with the Worker Node?). If there is an easy solution in 9, than perhaps it's worth the investment for us to upgrade.

Cheers,
Whitney

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on May 3, 2011 at 2:33:56 pm

Hi Whitney
it is not essential that you have all fields the same but I would recommend that you compound the fields , then it is a simple matter of creating two tabbed panels , one could be called US stuff and the other INTERNATIONAL STUFF ( see how technical I am ) and only put the relevant fields on each tab.. Life will be easier if you harmonise your logging across borders as you go forward. Not sure what went on with your previous import but am guessing it is related to display , as I am suggesting you do in my first suggestion. Goto Preferences Customise Details Panel and Create a new Panel then select the fields you wish to see on the panel, noting as you go that you do not have to show everything , but if you wish to see all of the potential fields goto the OTHER tab and it will list all available fields, thats where I expect to see your "missing" stuff.

Hope this helps

Kevin Duggan
CatDv/MME

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 3, 2011 at 3:17:43 pm

Yes, the translation of the xml data was through the Worker node, but can also be done with an outside script using XSLT. I think Kevin's way would work better and be less trouble.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 3, 2011 at 3:37:42 am

Chandos,

For the clients in the size that you guys work with, I'd bet that their WAN infrastructure would support the single db served over a WAN with synchronized proxy.

The replication of MYSQL db's is mostly used for backup and safety. If you can avoid a 2 way sync, try to. I'm not sure if Squarebox actually supports the replication model in production. (that would be a good one for him to weigh in on here.) It was going to be used in one large shop that I know of and then it didn't happen.

If you want, have Kobrin buzz me and we can draw it for you or do a quick call. Again, it's up to their IT folks to make sure the path is there and speedy.

Whitney, that's an easy thing to pass off, but without a server there's no way to make sure you're system's metadata setups stay the same and so things wander. If you're disciplined you can pass things back and forth, but you have to keep your setups in sync. If you're versions are tight and you have a unified set of "user" fields, you should be good to go.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]