FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV integration with Maxx Digital's Final Share

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Moyer
CatDV integration with Maxx Digital's Final Share
on Feb 1, 2010 at 7:49:30 pm

I believe Walter Biscardi uses Maxx Digital's Final Share AND Square Box's CatDV. Please help me with a few questions:
1. Mr. Biscardi, have you or anyone else integrated CatDV into use with Final Share (instead of Apple's Final Cut Server)?
2. Since Final Share uses a closed private Ethernet network, does Final Share work well with CatDV on the shared network?
3. To accomodate Final Share's maximum of 10 clients, won't we need to use CatDV Pro Workgroup Server?
Thank you for help from anyone.

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: CatDV integration with Maxx Digital's Final Share
on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:15:23 pm

Hi Brian
while not familiar with the Maxx Digital product I have built similar type deployments . The "problem: to which you allude is that the media is going down a private ethernet network. The situation is similar in the XSAN world where we make both a private and a public network over ethernet. You could adopt a similar strategy here.Mac Pro`s for instance have a second ethernet port just for this purpose. CATDV SERVER could be told to use this second network to keep it away from the Media network traffic which typically do not like small files. It is important to understand that CATDV server does not normally move media. It stores the paths to that media. When you query the server all that comes back are links to those files. If the Volume that contains the media is mounted on your machine it will play. So the bandwidth consumed by CATDV is very small as it is only retrieving or saving text and thumbnails.Even with ten clients you are not hammering the bandwidth. For Imacs and Macminis you may look at Apples USB ethernet devices not sure how much they cost but it would give you a second port for a MACmini . I have not tried this yet but it should be fine...Finally for ten seats of CATDV server you need to look at our ENTERPRISE product that gives you control over permissions and can set up totally distinct PRODUCTION GROUPS on the same database/server. The second ethernet port is not a requirement , things could work just fine in practice but it might be a good idea. As they say your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps

Kevin Duggan
CatDV

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV integration with Maxx Digital's Final Share
on Feb 3, 2010 at 11:59:39 pm

Kev,

I've read a bit on the Maxx system and it's basically a bada&& file server on hopped up ethernet switches. (and a neat idea at that)

There should be no issue with CatDV. As has been said, CatDV doesn't really care where the media lives other than as with anything, to play it, you need the bandwidth to match the resolution. (no uncompressed HD off of USB drives) ;) You can have multiple ethernet networks, fibre, USB, SCSI and firewire storage connected to a system and CatDV only worries about the file path, there is no network conflict as long as CatDV can see it's own server to read the database and can mount the volume where the asset, or a proxy, is stored. Even if the asset isn't "online" you can still read and manipulate all the metadata. (for instance if you catalog files on a firewire drive and then put it on the shelf, CatDV will still let you search for those files and will simply report them as offline while showing you the metadata and thumbnail.) The database/metadata is a tiny bit of data, only text, so there's also no real network impact since you aren't constantly pinging the server. You load a catalog or query and that's it.

For the record, and it's my opinion only, but if you are want to leverage the power of CatDV and make it simple to administer and use, the Enterprise Server is the only system to use. Workgroup is a severely limited product that is meant for small, basic shops. (again, unofficial opinion) Enterprise is a completely different product. If only for managing your layouts and user permissions. The new Enterprise Server is amazing to use. Workgroup should not be considered for most facilities due to the extra admin needed. The money you save will be eaten up in admin/support help. (more about that later) Enterprise scales as large as you need.

The good news, the Maxx system, while well designed and I hear implemented, is, in practice, very simple.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]