FORUMS: list search recent posts

previewing proxies

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Muir
previewing proxies
on Apr 28, 2011 at 3:08:23 pm

Hi,
I'm trying out CatDV for the first time. I'm a mac user.
I have been able to set up my SQL server and CatDV on my mac pro with a raid drive
I have set up the client on iMac in my office.

On my Mac pro
I created my catalog, added my clips, built my preview movies:
I have set all three paths in the preferences. (all on the mac pro)
I loaded my catalog to the server.

On my iMac,
I was able to load the catalog from the server, but I couldn't see the preview tab highlighted at all.
So i double clicked on a clip and it said that the media had been moved please locate. So I located all the three different paths from the iMac, and was able to see my preview.

Today I came back, and was not able to see the preview tab highlighted at all on my iMac.
I double checked the paths, I made sure that my previews were built and viewable on the mac pro.

I feel like I'm missing a setting or that I should be saving my previews somewhere else?

Thanks for your help
-Alex
alex@activatethespace.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: previewing proxies
on Apr 28, 2011 at 3:49:59 pm

It's all about where your previews are, how they are set to be created, (tape vs. path based) and how that share appears to the other systems.

The most common first time mistake is sharing a proxy shared folder from the server and importing files from the server. It's a little weird to grasp and this may not be your issue, but it's worth explaining.

The file lives at /Volumes/Drive/Shared_Folder/Folder/file.mov on the server and is cataloged in CatDV as such, right?

On an outside machine with the proxy shared folder mounted the path is:

/Volumes/Shared_Folder/Folder/file.mov so it does not map the same and you won't see a preview until you save a path mapping into the preferences.

CatDV includes tools to map equivalent paths and the Enterprise Server can save them. So you can correct for things like this. But there are different implications depending on how your storage is set up, and who has what path to what, etc...

That's one of the things in this package that makes it a little hard to document and train. We can't actually tell folks the path on here since it's specific to the storage environment but that's the concept.

Now, I may have explained something that's of no use to you but hopefully people will use it. And totally let us know if that's not it. ;)

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: previewing proxies
on Apr 30, 2011 at 4:18:56 pm

I'm having a similar issue after having now setup path-based previews. I'll explain my hair pulling in my post below.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]