FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-rendering proxies

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robb Harriss
Re-rendering proxies
on Apr 23, 2011 at 5:11:01 pm

I need to re-render a lot of proxies. They're not working quite right when I export a sequence or clip to FCP. The frame size and aspect ratios were both off and I stupidly forgot to select 48 k, so lots of timeline rendering for no good purpose. So now I have a new flavor for my proxies which seem much better. But whenI try to rerun the proxy generation nothing happens. CatDV sees the existing proxy and just flashes past it. Ok, so I delete the existing proxy, so the same thing happens. Hmmm. I don't see a way to force the re-rendering process.

I ran into another problem with the proxies: CatDV is running on a different machine. The proxies were generated and first stored on that machine. Later they were transferred to a NAS on the network. That path was added to the CatDV preferences and everything seemed just fine. A sequence exported to FCP opens up with most of the proxies in place. But a few show up with the media missing. Those proxies are there with all the others, but for some reason the data showed up in FCP but not the actual media. What I ended up doing was finding the offending shots in a FCP timeline. I went back to CatDV and ID'd the same shots in the CatDV sequence. I went back to the original tape in the database. I force CatDV to reread the proxy files. The name of the media files changed to the proxy names. I called up the clip as this new media file and used it to replace the clip in the timeline that was derived from the original media file from the original HDCam tape. I re-exported the sequence to FCP and all was right with my little world. Any idea what's goofy with the workflow?
Thanks guys,

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Re-rendering proxies
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:57:46 pm

The relink seems like something to report, however, I do have some ideas for dealing with moving the proxy.

If you have a machine where the media path is /Volumes/Media01 and another machine where the path is /Volumes/Media02, you don't have to put the path in the proxy area as long as your proxy drives/folders are named the same.

I try to put my proxy root in a generically named folder such as "catdv-proxy". That way if you drop both sets of proxy in the /Volumes folder, /Media01 and /Media02, they will both relink without mapping a path.

That way, you can make proxy on any machine and easily share or sync it around the other machines without introducing path mapping to the setup.

But remember, when you are dragging media over, FCP expects to find it where CatDV told it it was, so this is why shared storage is good. Everything stays where it was and you aren't mapping paths from machine to machine.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:09:49 pm

Thanks Bryson,
I've been thinking along the same lines. I'm going to have to render right to the shared storage. It's where the proxies live anyway. For various reasons I've been rendering them to the local drive and then then moving them, mostly so I don't have to tax the network. We're only one small part of it. But it's not worth it for all the work I have to do in cleanup.

Any idea how to force a rerender of the proxies?

Like your demo videos by the way. I've been using CatDV for quite a while but you opened my eyes to some new possibilities.
Robb

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 26, 2011 at 8:59:28 am

To avoid repeatedly checking whether the same files exists CatDV "caches" the presence or absence of a particular proxy file. If you manually move or delete any preview files behind CatDV's back it's safest to quit and relaunch the application. If you enable Advanced Menus via Preferences you can also use the Manage Preview Movies command to locate and delete specific preview files.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:04:04 am

It was apparent that it was caching. I tried deleting the preview and restarting but it didn't work. I'll try the manager.
I'm having all sorts of odd problems exporting a sequence (of previews) to FCP: some clips not showing up, and some showing up in odd sizes and aspect ratios. I'm trying to sort that out. I'm thinking that I may have to add the previews as path based rather than tape based, even though everything (right now) is tape based. I'm assuming that path based will also help with those assets that are completely different than video footage like PDF files and other project elements.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:17:56 am

If you use tape-based previews be aware that you could have several different preview files that cover one clip, for example one preview generated for the whole tape and another just for one subclip. Also, CatDV will automagically assemble fragments from separate files as required when it wants to play a clip. For example, if you have a preview file for 0:00:00:00 to 0:01:00:00 from a given tape, and another for 0:01:00:00 to 0:02:00:00, and you play a 30-second clip that's from 0:00:40:00 to 0:01:10:00 it will create an in-memory reference movie on the fly that refers to parts of both files. Because there is no file on disk for that clip you can't send that as a proxy to Final Cut without exporting it first.

For reasons such as these and more you should avoid directly using CatDV's tape-based previews outside of CatDV. They have obscure filenames precisely to discourage such use. Instead, you should probably use path-based previews, as they tend to behave in a much more obvious way.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:40:12 am

Hmmm, Interesting. I'm really getting into the subtleties of CatDV. Almost all our footage is HDCAM brought in as ProRes. It's long form documentary and we're using CatDV as a long term reference and preliminary editing solution. So I create low rez proxies with timecode window burn right out of CatDV. This has been a bit of a process, learning best methods as we go. I manage to blow up one project by reloading the final selects at high rez. Needless to say I changed our workflow.
Now I try to bring in an entire tape as a whole. Otherwise I bring in large sections of a tape that remain independent from other sections—a single interview versus the cover footage for example. However, I still have some mixed clips where there may be some overlaps between different clips. That may be where I'm causing myself a problem. However, I was able to do at least a temporary fix to get the missing shots into FCP in my export of the sequence. I went in and imported the preview files into the catalog. The tape name and timecode was preserved. I then found the offending clip in the sequence and replaced it from the newly imported preview. The file name changed, of course, but the clip showed up in FCP where before it was missing (media offline). So for now I have the audio and video, reel name and timecode in my FCP timeline, which is what I need until I reload at full rez for finishing.
My other issue is choosing a physical size for the previews that will work with my FCP timelines, which are 1920x1080. For some reason some of the previews fill the frame with the correct aspect ratio. Others come out in 4:3, while others are tiny and in the center of the frame. I've learned not to expand them to fill the frame—when I do and reload the full resolution copies I had to spend enormous time resetting the clips to the correct frame size and aspect ratio. It's a little bit of a mystery. I experiment and my results have been very inconsistent. I'm thinking of simply using prores proxy as my preview format, but that will eat up a lot more storage than the low rez photo jpeg format I'm currently using.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Apr 26, 2011 at 5:30:00 pm

Speaking for myself, path based previews are the only way to go. I know Kevin Duggan agrees as I got that info from him. ;)

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:32:46 pm

I third that sentiment!

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Apr 28, 2011 at 3:51:42 am

I got the path-based previews going. Instead of the numerical-coded names they're coming out with the same file name as the original.

I'm a little concerned about the paths, though. The normal location for the previews has been a raid on one of the other machines on the network. That path was /Volumes/Video01/CATDV Previews and I selected that for the path for the path-based previews. But CatDV has appended into that location the path describing the location of the original media file, so what I get now is: /Volumes/Video01/CATDV Previews/Volumes/Raid Set/Final Cut Pro Documents/Capture Scratch/FFS interviews/original_clip_name.mov

ouch

should it have created that long path inside the path I specified?
How's this going to work when I copy the previews onto a portable firewire drive for use with the laptop?

Note that the original media files are currently living on a different FCP system. I'm running CatDV in one room, addressing the ProRes files living on a raid attached to this other machine and creating previews that are stored on a third machine. I plan on deleting the original media and relying on the previews. Later we'll reload at full res the elements used in the final cut of the project. Been doing that all along. The switch to path-based is the only change.
Comments?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 28, 2011 at 7:51:04 am

What path would you have liked it to use? You can certainly get CatDV to use shorter paths by configuring your media search paths appropriately, in particular by fillling in the Original Location.

If all your media is in the Capture Scratch folder then you could set up a preview path mapping that says

/Volumes/Raid Set/Final Cut Pro Documents/Capture Scratch => /Volumes/Video01/CATDV Previews

If you do that, your preview would end up being called

/Volumes/Video01/CATDV Previews/FFS interviews/original_clip_name.mov

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:32:34 pm

Actually I wrote the same path where everything else, the previews that is, are stored. CatDV made this elongated path. I don't mind it but it seems to be excessively long. I also don't mind seeing the original bins. As you can see in the screen grabs below, when using tape-based the reel names became the folders. I would have thought that the bin names would have shown up in this list. Instead I got the Volumes folder with the longer path in it. I am getting a little concerned with the RAID Set, RAID Set-1 folders because these are in fact the same. Normally I get RAID Set for machine #1 on the network and RAID Set-1 for the raid on the #2 machine. I'm using the footage on machine #2 to figure this out. I'm thinking I'll have an issue when I go to add footage from the raid on machine #1. Will I get RAID Set-2 to describe what I would have thought was RAID Set. I'm trying to prevent a problem as I move into this new workflow. And I'm still not sure how this will work when I use the laptop and make changes to the catalog.
Thanks

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Apr 28, 2011 at 3:34:15 pm

The path based previews are the magic. You can set root, as Rolf said, to be whatever you like. and whether you know it or not, your Mac is adding /Volumes/Drive_Name/ to whatever you have when you view it in the command line so what we see as:

/drive-1/

is actually /Volumes/drive-1/.

This way, CatDV is making a instantly re-linkable copy of your media files. Putting it on a firewire drive is as easy as pie if you set your root correctly, (sometimes you may go one level above your main root if you want all non-shared drives to appear as the same to proxy) or if you partition and name your firewire drives (a favorite of mine) FCP just relinks because the proxies are all in place and the names are correct.

Be careful as you map paths, sometimes "fixing" something to look right to humans isn't what a machine wants.

You are indeed digging into CatDV deeper than most casual users want to. Good luck out there and know that all the path tools are in the CatDV system to make this flow easily.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Apr 28, 2011 at 3:44:41 pm

Bryson,
You're hitting that proverbial target spot with that accepted means of basic construction.

What looks normal for me may not work so hot for the machine. It's the one adding the extra data. I am not about to change it without checking. It's still odd because the path-based structure to me looks more like tape-based, where the bins and original clip names show up. I live and breathe by reel name and timecode (for a generation and a half now). If you saw my preferences screen shot does that look good to you? I know I'll have to add the portable drive to the path when I go to use the laptop. But can I just copy the previews with the existing structure? Or do I now need to make an archive? And yes, I understand that CatDV will search the listed paths starting at the top. I figured out that I needed to use the Preview Manager to delete the old previews, so now I'm rerunning them (low rez photo-jpeg) from the ProRes files that are the original media.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Apr 30, 2011 at 4:48:52 pm

So I switched to path-based, or rather added it. I used the preview manager to delete the proxies in one of my catalogs. Now viewing of previews has become very spotty to non-existant. Fortunately I started with plenty of hair or I'd be bald now.

I learned a couple of things that have been sneaking up on me over time.
When I setup our different FCP systems I knew that projects would move back and forth from one machine to the other. I thought I'd be clever and name the raids and external drives the same. I never anticipated sharing the full rez footage between machines because they're only using internal raids and they're just on the internal gigabit network. On the other hand I knew that the external firewire raids would go back and forth between the MacPros, and laptops and even home. I thought by naming those the same that FC would always know to find the footage. It ain't so. FCP is using the drive ID at a lower level, so it knows the drives are different. Ok, one issue.

The next issue I only recently while messing with CatDV and refining our catalogs. Get this: Sometimes I am accessing the full rez footage from across the network—not to edit, but to import footage into CatDV and/or to make previews. I'll use one system or the other to pull HDCAM footage into FCP and then import those clips into CatDV. But the raids have the same name (Raid Set) on both large systems. Here's the rub (and I know some of you see this coming). When I'm local on a machine the raid is "Raid Set." If I pull from the other system's raid the path is /Volumes/FCP Edit2/Raid Set-1. But when I move into the other room and work from there, the relationship and paths filp, so the old Raid Set-1 is Raid Set and the old Raid Set-1 is now Raid Set. This even though the footage is coming from the same directory on the same machine. No wonder I have all these extra paths and Raid Sets and Raid Set-1s, now with footage duplicated in them. Yeah, so I've renamed the raid on my #2 system. I haven't been using it much and there isn't much on it.

Setting the previews to path-based hasn't seemed to be an improvement. Half the time the systems still can't see the preview. Note that all the previews are, and have been, in the same location: a shared drive on yet another machine on the network. I've been using tape-based for ages (year or two?) without much of a problem. My workflow has been for a writer to create a sequence in CatDV using previews. I take that preview into FCP and it pulls up the timeline populated with the previews. We refine the cut, and when I get close I conform by reloading the footage from camera originals at full rez. It's been a great system. But recently some of the timelines in FCP were not fully populated. While most of the shots were visible from the proxies, some showed as offline, even though the preview version existed and worked in CatDV. Hmmm. I did some wrangling and filled in the missing bits, but it was very tedious. I was hoping that path-based would solve this new issue. But now the previews keep getting lost. Unlike the full rez footage there's no way to relink the previews, and they haven't changed where they live, and the path is still in the field in the preferences.

What's confusing me is how to add the paths to the preferences for path-based previews. Tape based were never a problem. Now I'm not sure what the word "original" means. Is it the original full-rez footage? Or the original path where the previews were created and stored, which hasn't changed. Do I need to put in a "new" path for each clip, each directory, each tape? The tape-based make previews function stored clips from each tape in a separate folder in my CatDV Previews folder. The process using path-based has created the new Volumes folder in my CatDV Previews folder. Within Volumes are folder structures that mimic the paths to the full-rez footage. Hence my question about "original," Does it mean preview or full-rez path? Argh.

And path-based doesn't work with catalog archives? Wouldn't an archive be the way to go for a catalog on a portable drive that I take to work on at home using the laptop?

yes, I stepped off the deep end with this. I went from a system that was 99% working and messed it up myself.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 3, 2011 at 7:59:40 am

Sorry man, got a little busy out there but you have to know that doing this over a message board is like doing surgery through a key hole, not the best or easiest.

When you are setting path-based preview paths you can usually ignore the "original" setting unless you want to set up a special path map. You can choose use it as a wizard where you choose the hi-res, original path and then point to the place you want to place the previews but it's often not needed. (again specific to your system)

Your storage naming was definitely a problem. Things might straighten out now, but in FCP, you have to get away from the tape based previews. I don't think that having them both live is a good thing.

Honestly, I've never installed a single system in 4 years that used tape-based previews. I'd like to hear from anyone who's used them to confirm that or refute it, but I can say that I have dozens of systems out there working with path-based only so that has to count for something. Mr. Duggan told me to stay away from them and I did.

Remember that certain features in CatDV exist because certain companies requested/paid for them, or once did. They do not apply to all installations and unless you have engineered your system to use that feature it may cause problems. Features often outlive their useful lifespan but cannot be EOL'd because they are in use on a specific client site. (Has anyone out there really exported a CMX3600 EDL from CatDV lately?)

Rename the drives, make sure that your paths, when you drag clips in, show up as /Volumes/drive_name no matter if it's local or over the network and you should be fine. It's that simple.

In a small rig like yours, with one proxy location and just macs, there should be one preview path. That's all. /Volumes/path/to/where/you/want/previews/to/go

Troubleshooting path based previews is insanely easy. If you look at the media path value and then look inside the preview directory and the paths don't match, it won't work. If they match, it will.

If not, then you have to get your dealer or a tech involved. "Do It Yourself" is great for bird houses and gardening but a waste of time in professional post production. You can lose a lot of hair, or get a lot of gray. ;)

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on May 3, 2011 at 12:35:18 pm

Bryson and Rolf,
Thanks for getting back. I know what you mean about going through the posts. I do a lot of support on the Apple support sites, myself. And just so you know, I've earned my gray hair. Designed and built a number of facilities and go all the way back to B&W reel-to-reel 1/2 tape. And been through laser disk, and then montage and then doing digital non-linear when Avid was still a dream in Tewksbury. I believe that CatDV isn't all that difficult to setup and use, and I'm a big fan. But there's some weakness in terminology, direction and intent (yes, I write tech manuals, too). We've been making great use of CatDV for several years now. I can easily say that it's the single best addition to the facility in years. And it's relatively easy to get a non computer-oriented writer or producer up to speed and doing useful work.
Up until now the drive naming conventions haven't hurt us. That's because each of four systems is sandboxed. When we move a project the path appear the same to the editing systems because we're not mounting network volumes for editing. And acutually we haven't had this current propbem with CatDV until just now. The eported XML always contained all the media. So something's weird. But I did manage to fix that.
So now I've gone in and renamed one drive. That should sort out that part of the issue. We only ever had one path for previews. But I'm going to look at Rolf's suggestion to have a separate directory for tape- and path-based previews. I'm re-rendering some of the previews, and using the new paths for all. So we'll see.
As I look at it the path-based files look more like tape-based files, at least at face value. After all the path-based utilize the actual reel names, as well as the paths. That's very cool, as far as I'm concerned. And because they're in a playable format with the reel name and timecode burned in I can hand them to someone as it if they want to look and make some loose notes.
The definiition of "original" could be a little more precise. Suggested workflows could also be a little stronger. Point of fact we really haven't had a single problem when running the system off the laptop and using the previews on an external pocket drive. Works like a charm. The description of the "archives" lulled me into interest, but I'm heeding Rolf's warning. There really should be some caviate in the documentation. Ok, get this. I made the 8.1 documentation into both Kindle and ePub ebooks so I could read them on my Kindle and iPad. Nothing like curling up on a chilly Spring evening with a good manual. And no, I have no life ;-). I'll let you guys know what happens as a result of the renaming and moving.
Robb

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on May 3, 2011 at 12:36:38 pm

Geeze, I hit Post Direct before fixing my typos. Oh well.
Thanks for the help, it's been huge.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on May 3, 2011 at 12:50:08 pm

I'm not sure I know what you mean by path-based previews looking like tape-based ones.

If the original file path has the reel name in there somewhere then the corresponding path-based preview will too, but if the original doesn't then the preview won't.

Unless the old Mac Classic way of doing things, CatDV always accesses files via Unix-style file paths. We use the term "original" to mean the original path to the full res media that CatDV saw when the file was originally imported, ie. what's stored in the CatDV Media Path field. If the file has moved, or was imported on a Mac and the catalog is being view on a PC, or if the original file is offline and you only have a proxy available, then CatDV uses "path mapping" to automatically construct a new file path from the original file path (ie. the path as stored in the catalog).

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on May 3, 2011 at 1:13:19 pm

what I mean is that the path-based files have the original reel name as part of the file name, while the tape-based previews have what looks like a hash code as the file name. I can look at the path-based files and see what it is and where it came from. Can't do that using the tape-based previews, not unless you open the file and it has the reel name burned it. I'm thinking that the term for tape-based should be changed to something less inviting like "old format," if you catch my drift. For someone coming, as I do, from decades of a world filled with 8.3 reel names and timecode, the term "tape-based" is actually very attractive. Maybe that's not so with the later generation, many of whom don't even know what a tape deck looks like. And yes, I have exported CMX EDLs from CatDV. Actually, they were GVG because I prefer the audio format.
I got lost on "original" because I couldn't tell if meant the original full-rez media, or the path where the previews had been originally stored. I was thinking the latter, because the full-rez had never moved but the previews had.
Thanks for the help. I'm running a couple more tests to see if I can fix the issue. Then I'll switch everything over to path-based.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on May 3, 2011 at 1:26:27 pm

I'm still confused. You say "path-based files have the original reel name as part of the file name". The reel name isn't added by CatDV, it just uses whatever the original file name was. How the files are named depends on what software you use to capture them and how you name your clips. CatDV will work with any kind of files placed on any volume with any kind of folder structure and any kind of file name, so file-based previews won't in general have the reel name in them unless you or your software put it there.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on May 3, 2011 at 3:57:34 pm

[Rolf Howarth] "The reel name isn't added by CatDV, it just uses whatever the original file name was."

Yes, that's actually making my point. The same doesn't happen when using tape-based. Look at it from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't live and breathe this every day: Tape-based doesn't have the tape name, but path-based does have the tape name. There exists a point of confusing when using the word "tape."

I'd already written a database for all this, but CatDV is infinitely better. I mean there's not the tiniest bit of comparison. And now we live and breathe CatDV. It's really more important to the operation than any of the editing software. Logging is the root of all editing, as far as I'm concerned—even more so for Non-Linear Editing. The logs are the true non-linear access to the footage.

The following screen grabs just try to illustrate my point of confusion over the terminology. I'm going back and fixing the paths using the "original" location for the full-rez footage. I already changed the drive names and I'm reattaching the media to switch the drive path in the database. I've moved the previews into directories whose paths match the original footage. It seems to be working, but every once in a while one of the previews just doesn't want to "stick." By that I mean I can get it to work initially, but when I come back later it's no longer found.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on May 3, 2011 at 9:17:53 pm

Ok, but the way CatDV sees things the whole file path is the "name". Thus a tape-based preview such as /Volumes/Raid Set/CatDV Previews/ADH02/3000,27584,28777,96c.mov includes the the reel name ADH02. On the other hand, a path based preview such as "FS02 John Smith.mov" will be called whatever the original hires file has called (possibly with the extension changed to .mov, .mp4 or .jpg). The original file might be called Clip1.mov, Sunset.mp4, DSC01234.jpg, Train.wav, or whatever. Some applications might include the reel name there but by no means all.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on May 3, 2011 at 9:35:25 pm

Got that. And I think the path-based is the way to go. It just goes to the origins of where you started. I mean DV is in the name. Is anyone over there still shooting DV and using a product as sophisticated as this? But you're stuck with certain thing. Of course version 9 could be "Super Deluxe Best Ever Logging and Asset Management system." Or you could do the Apple thing and just skip to version X

I've been fixing the paths. Update Media Location is working like a charm. I'm removing the old conflicting Raid Set-1 references. I think I have all the previews popping up correctly, at least reading the files from one location. I have to try the laptop.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on May 3, 2011 at 8:23:12 am

Don't use catalog archives! That's an obsolete feature that only worked with tape-based previews and will be removed in a future version of CatDV.

I've just seen your comment about "naming the RAIDs the same". That's another more likely explanation of why you're seeing RAIDSet and RAIDSet-1, if you have two volumes with the same name mounted at the same time.

I would strongly recommend you don't name them the same. If you have two different files with the same path name, how can the system tell the files apart?

Note that that isn't the same thing as saying that the same file can't have two different paths. This happens all the time and is something that CatDV copes with well, especially in mixed environments. For example /Volumes/Media and the M:\ drive might be the shared volume on Mac and Windows, so if you configure them as being equivalent paths then CatDV will automatically find the file even if it encounters the "wrong" path.

Yes, "original" refers to the original full res media that the proxy relates to. Let's say you have a disk which is sometimes mounted as /Volumes/RAID_ONE and sometimes as /Volumes/FCP Edit 2/RAID_ONE but the contents are the same in each case. (I've made up a new name to make it clear that each volume needs to have its own unique name, for example RAID_ONE and RAID_TWO). Let's further assume you have a separate volume which we'll call PROXY where you want to store your proxies. (If you mount and unmount your main volumes, I assume the proxies will be on a separate volume that is always available?)

You could then set up paths such as the following

Tape-based previews:
/Volumes/PROXY/TAPE/

Path-based previews:
/Volumes/PROXY/ONE (/Volumes/RAID_ONE)
/Volumes/PROXY/ONE (/Volumes/FCP Edit 2/RAID_ONE)
/Volumes/PROXY/TWO (/Volumes/RAID_TWO)
/Volumes/PROXY/TWO (/Volumes/FCP Edit 2/RAID_TWO)

If you do that, your PROXY volume will contain three top-level directories: TAPE (all your tape-based previews), ONE (proxies for all the original files on RAID_ONE), TWO (proxies for all the original hi-res files on RAID_TWO), and CatDV will find the proxies regardless of which machine you imported the media and built the previews on.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on May 3, 2011 at 8:27:19 am

PS. You could also set up equivalent directories for the full res media, so even if you import the file on one machine (so that's the path that's stored in your catalog) CatDV will automatically locate the hi-res media file on the other machine, even though it's mounted differently.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on May 3, 2011 at 8:02:41 am

Excessive long paths
When you add your path-based previews there are two parts, original path and preview location. It's a good idea to fill in both as I suggested previously. That way you're telling the system how much of the long path is irrelevant and to ignore. You don't need to do this, but it makes things more efficient.

Mixing tape and path previews
These are quite different so as a general suggestion I would recommend using separate folders for these. It's not a big problem if you have them in the same place but it could cause a bit of confusion.

RAID Set and RAID Set-1
That is a concern. When you mount a volume on Mac OS X it "magically" appears as a special directory in /Volumes, eg. /Volumes/RAIDSet. If some software has accidentally created a normal directory with that name then when you mount the volume it picks a new name, ie. /Volumes/RAIDSet-1 and so on. This is bad, as you could end up with files that are actually on your startup volume even though the path looks like it's on the RAID. In the Finder, do Go > Go To Folder and type in /Volumes. It should only contain disk icons with a little arrow in the corner, not normal folders. If there are any normal folders there, move the files out of them and delete the folder.

Update: I've just read your final message which makes things a little clearer. I'll follow up with another post...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]