FORUMS: list search recent posts

96k audio export possible?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip James
96k audio export possible?
on Oct 11, 2019 at 2:52:59 pm

I have some sequences that I have prepared in Avid Media Composer. They all have 96k audio with their soundtracks created outside of MC. Although the audio imported fine it is not an option to export as 96k in MC. I have been advised by Avid to export my finished sequences to Resolve and sync to my orginal 96k audio files in there. I have had to purchase Resolve Studio since the free version wont work at full 4K. My sequences are now all synced up in Resolve and ready to export. However, my first test one only exported as 48k even though audio files in the bin are clearly stated as being 96k. I can't see how to export as 96k. Any advice? I hope Resolve can actually do it after all this hassle.

I also see that my export was 422 HQ even though I have set things up as 4444. Any advice on that?

Thank you, Phil

Return to posts index

Philip James
Re: 96k audio export possible?
on Oct 11, 2019 at 4:06:19 pm

Have now heard from Blackmagic that Resolve only exports as 48k, regardless of source files.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 11, 2019 at 9:01:33 pm

48khz is the standard for digital audio with video. Are you expected to delivering a final master to any broadcaster or cinema with 96khz audio? I've never heard of that being an accepted format. Unless you have a specific delivery requiring a non standard audio format, Resolve is simply giving you legal output.

I have to ask why the original audio was recorded at 96khz?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 11, 2019 at 9:05:54 pm

Personally I would not make a deliverable file using ProRes4444. I've never used that as a deliverable file format either and when I used to deal with ProRes, I often found 4444 was a poor choice due to gamma incompatibility on playback in other players or edit systems.

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 11, 2019 at 10:01:35 pm

Thank you - that's good to know. What would you use instead for digital download files, not broadcast? What ProRes output do you think would work best?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 12, 2019 at 12:14:10 pm

Delivery files for me are based on what is broadcast acceptable. For an art installation you need to ask the gallery or museum what their gear plays and deliver what they specify.

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 12, 2019 at 12:45:05 pm

Thanks. These files will be for download. My client would like 48k and 96k versions but neither Avid Media Composer or Resolve will output the latter. I am providing ProRes 4444 to give them a really high quality master of each sequence.

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 11, 2019 at 9:59:54 pm

Thanks. These files are not for broadcast but will be digital art downloads - there will be clients with very different requirements and some may request 96k audio. I have created the sound-design for each sequence at 96k in MOTU's Digital Performer and then imported into Media Composer for sync with my video.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 12, 2019 at 12:16:23 pm

You may have to export a file back into AVID to export the video with 96khz files. I would check the manual and other online forums, especially the Blackmagic Resolve forum to see if 96khz exports are possible. It may be codec specific so refer to my other post about deliverable codecs

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 12, 2019 at 12:55:58 pm

According to tech support Resolve will only export at 48k. Media Composer might be able to export at 96k but it’s not clear whether it does a prior convert to the project sample rate first which has a maximum of 48k other than with specific hardware which I don’t have. All much more complicated than I had hoped..

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 18, 2019 at 3:22:22 am

Check out the latest release version of Resolve 16.1 . Listed is "Support for 96 KHz and 192 KHz sample rates at a project level for DaVinci Resolve Studio"

Might just solve your problem

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 18, 2019 at 9:44:49 am

Thank you Michael

Where did you see the statement about 96K? I wonder if it is just relating to being able to work with 96k files on import and edit, which it did already, rather than 96k export which I need. It would be good to know more.

Phil

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 18, 2019 at 5:31:47 pm

ps - can't upload grab

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 18, 2019 at 5:27:59 pm

You are right. Resolve does now support 96k audio export. Thanks for letting me know.

In Render Settings I now have the option of exporting as 'same as project', 48k, 96k or 192k (see grab). That's great but I'm confused about what 'same as project' means. Where do I set the project audio sample rate? I can't find where to do that. So is Resolve setting its own sample rate for the project? - I guess 48k And if so, is there any conversion of audio going on prior to output at my selected sample rate? My audio was imported at 96k and is stated as such in the bins but is the project audio sample rate having any bearing on what happens next or will the integrity of my audio be kept throughout?

I had this issue with Avid Media Composer where I imported 96k audio sucessfully and then selected 96k for my sequence export. All sounded good but the project audio sample rate could not be set above 48k and the audio would be converted to project rate prior to up-resing at export. How do I know that Resolve is not doing the same thing? I want to keep 96k throughout.

Thanks, Phil

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 18, 2019 at 11:59:59 pm

You can look in your settings (look for the gear wheel icon bottom right) and see if you can change settings there.

When you set up a timeline you can change from defaults by selecting the Custom tab which should now allow you to set a different sample rate. If you can't change your existing timeline, try creating a new timeline then copy paste to that timeline

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 19, 2019 at 5:50:15 pm

Thank you Michael

I looked at the Timeline settings for one of my current timelines and under 'Fairlight' it stated that the audio sample rate was 48000. It was greyed out so there was no way to change it. I then went to create a new timeline and I could not see any option to set the audio sample rate. So it appears that Resolve is defaulting to 48k.

But the big question for me is that if I use 96k audio in a sequence and then export that sequence at 96k will the audio remain unconverted or will it go through a conversion to 48k (project or timeline rate) before being converted back to 96k. This is crucial and I can't work out how to find out.

Phil

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 19, 2019 at 5:55:44 pm

Aha! It looks like I can get round this by creating a new project and then setting 96k as the timeline audio sample rate. I'll work with that and see how I get on.

Return to posts index

Philip James
on Oct 19, 2019 at 7:50:41 pm

Am I understanding Resolve correctly that Timeline resolution settings are project-wide? In my current project some of my sequences are 4k and others are HD. I have set the project to 4K and it seems that this setting is set for all my timelines - I can't change between 4k and HD for each of my sequences, depending on the resolution. So do I leave Timeline settings at 4k and just adjust the delivery resolution for the HD or 4k sequences?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]