FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to bypass audio re-encoding (Exporting Pro Res)???

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alec Eagon
How to bypass audio re-encoding (Exporting Pro Res)???
on Oct 2, 2019 at 8:10:31 pm

Hey Folks,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to export a Pro Res (4444, HQ, etc) master file of my project with assurances that I am not re-encoding the audio track? The project is a music video and contains only one 24/44.1 audio file. The goal is to let Vimeo and Youtube do the audio conversion (just once). I work with hi-grain S16 film footage (uploading Pro Res is the only way to retain any running grain) and am a music producer so I can hear things most people can't in audio re-bouncing/re-rendering (loss of transients, etc).

I NEED TO KNOW, FOR SURE, if there is a way in Resolve 15 (currently running) or 16 (I've heard good things) to essentially pair/stitch/compile my Pro Res video files (no audio) with my audio track the way I always used to be able to do back in my FCP6/7+Compressor days—I still use that method for static song videos with album artwork on Youtube.

In Resolve 15, would setting Output Track 1: to "Timeline Track" help possibly achieve this?

Or...

Is the only way to do something like this to upgrade to Resolve 16 and use "Bypass re-encode when possible" (does this setting apply to audio too, even though it's under the video tab)?

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much!
-Alec

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: How to bypass audio re-encoding (Exporting Pro Res)???
on Oct 2, 2019 at 10:51:49 pm

PCM audio is uncompressed so there is no re-encoding. If there is no gain, dynamics or EQ applied then it is not processed at all when Resolve exports. However Vimeo will not only encode it to AAC it will also sample rate convert. My advice would be to do the sample rate convert yourself and export your file as PCM 24/48khz if you are happy to then let Vimeo do the compression encode. 48khz is standard SR for video and the default in Resolve.

ProRes like many I frame compressed formats is pretty much lossless, at least to the human eye. Vimeo will crunch it down to H264 so you will see some changes to things like grain which is basically noise regardless of the codec you choose to upload.

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 2, 2019 at 11:25:06 pm

The audio file was originally written as PCM from the mastering engineer to be sure, but I was thinking maybe Resolve would still "re-write" the file with PCM, again, essentially? That's great if it does not...

Yeah, there are zero audio edits applied to this project.

In Resolve 15, I don't even see a sample rate adjustment anywhere in Project Settings or upon export, only bit depth adjustments...am I blind?

Either way, Resolve shifted the sample rate from 44.1 to 48khz upon export (setting it up for broadcast, as it does with Rec. 709 and the colors).

Either way, I did a listening test, comparing the video audio to the original file, both played out of QT, and the video audio is extremely close to the original in terms of quality.

Thanks so much!
-Alec

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 3, 2019 at 4:51:17 am

It rewrites the file and changes the sample rate but being uncompressed there is no real data change if the levels etc are untouched.

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 3, 2019 at 5:07:03 pm

Interesting, so, its essentially no different than making a copy of the file on your desktop?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]