FORUMS: list search recent posts

How insert a clip to another location on the timeline

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Maultsby
How insert a clip to another location on the timeline
on Sep 21, 2019 at 10:09:23 pm

Yes I know this simple question but I never did on DR. I have a lot of clips on the timeline and one of the clips is in the wrong location. I want to move the clip about 15 clips back and insert it into the new location. What is the command for this move?

OS Windows 10 CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.70 GHz
Memory 32 gb
Hard drives C: SSD OS and Programs
F: 2 TB Documents and other programs
G: Drobo 6TB photos and videos
H: SSD 500 gb Cache drive
M: 2TB SSD Media drive
I: 1TB SSD Media drive 2

Return to posts index

Harlan Rumjahn
Re: How insert a clip to another location on the timeline
on Sep 22, 2019 at 2:02:41 am

Good question, since there's no magnetic capability, like in FCPX, unless you use the new Cut Page in Resolve 16. It's good in theory, this new cut page, but doesn't work that great if you have a long timeline with lots of clips, then it's hard to see what clip you want to move and where you're moving it to.

That being said, the workaround I use is to place the timeline pointer (I don't know the name for this vertical line that you move around to cut clips and make edits on) at the point you want to insert the clip. Then you press alt+Y, which highlights all of the clips on and after the pointer. With all the clips highlighted, you slide them to the right to create an opening for the clip you want to insert.

In that opening, you drag and drop the clip from the other part of the timeline. If you made the gap too big, there will be extra space in that gap once the clip is dropped in.
To get rid of that extra space, you click on that extra space, then press Shift+delete. This will delete the space and the rest of the highlighted timeline will move "magnetically" together to fill it.

Now you're left with the gap which was created where you dragged the clip from. Simply shift+del this space, like above, and the rest of the timeline will fall into cover that gap.

It's kind of a lot of steps, but nothing is as user friendly as FCPX, in my humble opinion. As an editorial, I'd say that people often mistake complicated ways of doing things for something that is better, or more advanced, or sophisticated, or whatever. But often I find that the simple ways of doing things are the most elegant, most effective, and best. Sorry, that's just me on my soapbox!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Maultsby
Re: How insert a clip to another location on the timeline
on Sep 22, 2019 at 4:56:08 am

Thanks Harlan

OS Windows 10 CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.70 GHz
Memory 32 gb
Hard drives C: SSD OS and Programs
F: 2 TB Documents and other programs
G: Drobo 6TB photos and videos
H: SSD 500 gb Cache drive
M: 2TB SSD Media drive