tiff frame sequences and frame rates

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael McCune
tiff frame sequences and frame rates
on Aug 30, 2019 at 5:46:37 pm

Guys;

I have film scanned at 2K and then converted to a DPX frame sequence, which was then converted by Media Encoder to a tif sequence. In Resolve, after import, all seems to work as expected.

EXCEPT for a question regarding frame sequences and timeline frame rates. Here is the situation:
When tif sequence clips are imported into a 29.97 fps timeline, an alert dialog box may pop up saying the frame rate of the clip and the timeline differ and do I want to change the timeline frame rate (to 24 fps) to match the clip??? I understand that this frame rate mismatch alert is a feature of Resolve that is available when the first clip is dropped onto a new timeline and thereafter there is no frame rate mismatch alert even if there is a mismatch.

Dropping this same clip onto a 24 fps project timeline does not raise the alert dialog box.

Thus Resolve seems to recognize this clip as a (compatible) 24 fps frame sequence clip and not as a 29.97 fps clip.

Here is the question: If frame sequences have no inherent frame rate then what triggers this alert???

And, FWIW, exports from the Resolve deliver page also detect--and deal with explicitly--a 24 fps timeline clip when one tries to export it at 29.97 fps. It offers the option not simply of 29.97 fps but, "30 (3:2)." This is good.

So it seems that Resolve is handling this situation smoothly but also it seems to be recognizing these clips as 24 fps and performing 3:2 pull-up or pull-down as needed and on the fly for the timeline and for export. So the timeline export runs smoothly. (Again, that's good!).

But what is it in the tif frame sequence that seems to distinguish them as 24 fps or 29.97 fps???

Resolve seems to detect something in the tif frames. But what??? (I have even opened tif frames in a hex editor looking for a clue but didn't see anything obvious.)

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks all. Mike

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]