FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to zoom into in/out points in source video viewer?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Davis
How to zoom into in/out points in source video viewer?
on Apr 22, 2019 at 1:40:31 pm

Hi,

I am very seriously working inside Resolve 16 to see if I can make the switch from my 10 years in Vegas Pro. Vegas is an excellent software but is falling behind in many of the advanced features available like Resolve. Still, it is an extremely efficient editor.

Here is something I can do in Vegas but don't believe it is possible in Resolve.
If I load clip into (Vegas calls it the trimmer) what Resolve would call the source viewer, I can't zoom in to the portion of the clip where the in and out points are. Especially if the clips are even a couple minutes in length, it becomes very difficult to see the exact in/out point because they seem very close together on a longer clip. In Vegas I can zoom the viewer just like you can zoom the timeline in Resolve which is extremely helpful for changing the in/out points.

In Resolve, I have found the "zoomed audio waveform" which is helpful for adjusting audio edits but of course no help at all for clips that are video only or the in/out point is only related to the video portion of the clip.

Hoping there is a way to zoom inside the source viewer of Resolve as well.

Erik

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: How to zoom into in/out points in source video viewer?
on Apr 22, 2019 at 7:32:32 pm

Hi Erik,

I'm not going to be of any help. I assume you are loading your source from the media pool into the source viewer, and this clip is not in the timeline. You want to trim it then place it in the timeline. If that is correct, the longest clip I have is about 50 minutes and following that workflow I can see your issue.

When I used Vegas I never used the trimmer as I found, for me, cutting and editing in the timeline to be faster. So, in Resolve, I do sometimes make rough in/out trims in the Master Bin from the clip thumbnail (as they added to Vegas Pro 16 with the thumbnail hover scrub), then drag that to the timeline and make further fine tuning (down to the frame) cuts using the timeline viewer and drilling down/zooming (Alt+mouse wheel) in on the timeline to the frame level if necessary. With Resolve 16 beta I have been using the Cut page which works similar to the Edit page and will position the cut head down to the frame, which for me is pretty quick and accurate.

Perhaps there is a way to expand the source viewer to slow down the play head movement for more accuracy, but it is going to rely on a more experienced Resolve user than myself. It will be interesting if there is a way and the how-to. Most likely it is pretty simple. I assume you have read the manual and found no mention of it.

BTW, I switched from Vegas Pro 15 and have never looked back, although I do keep current it what is going on in Vegas from Magix.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
Re: How to zoom into in/out points in source video viewer?
on Apr 23, 2019 at 4:00:09 am

Hey George. Cool to give a response. I did go through the manual looking for anyway to zoom in on the source viewer "timeline" but didn't find anything. Also searched keyboards commands that "aren't assigned" to see if something was possibly hidden away.

It appears that there is a different editing method used in Resolve that what I became accustomed to. Probably, just a matter of rethinking things a bit. That said, I did submit a feature request to allow "zooming" on the source viewer in/out points. I think it is a bit counter intuitive looking at in/out points a couple of seconds apart in a 50 minute clip in the source viewer. Kind of, "what's the point", you can't really do anything visually with those in/out points IMO.

Thank,

Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]