FORUMS: list search recent posts

How create mosaic grid of pictures in combination with dynamic zoom

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugo Schouppe
How create mosaic grid of pictures in combination with dynamic zoom
on Apr 12, 2019 at 8:00:09 am

Hi,
I'm trying to create a mosaic grid (multiple pictures; each in its own frame); but with a dynamic zoom effect on some pictures. Each picture has to stay, of course, within its own frame. I've tried several approaches? What is the most efficient workflow?
- Zoom, crop & position each picture does not work because the dynamic zoom changes the size of the individual pictures. Sometimes you also need a mask.
- Putting the pictures in a compound clip does work because you can put the dynamic zoom onto the subclip. But this workflow is cumbersome because you have to switch between the compound clip and the subclip to position and size the pictures. You also doubles/triples the number of items in each bin.
- creating the grid in fusion is perhaps also a possibility but it also looks difficult to me.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: How create mosaic grid of pictures in combination with dynamic zoom
on Apr 12, 2019 at 1:16:50 pm

I wouldn't try to do anything like this with only timeline tools. Take a look at some Fusion tutorials and try to build it there.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: How create mosaic grid of pictures in combination with dynamic zoom
on Apr 14, 2019 at 5:06:27 pm

Agreed, items like this are the reason Fusion is included.

If you really want to do it just in Resolve, and the idea of having to pop in and out of a compound clip is a hassel... too bad, welcome to the world of online ☺

I would suggest creating an overlay of your grid in Photoshop first might make that stage a bit easier. You could in theory create a separate overlay for each square, where only that square is keyable, then the movement you put underneath would be constrained to that picture only. do that for picture 1, and put into a compound clip called picture 1...repeat and rinse for the other pictures, using a different overlay for each one. Once you are happy with the individual movements, then you comp all those compound clips together. I'm not sure of the keying works properly with compound clips, so you might have to put a crop on the compound clips themselves to get your individual boxes back.

Either way, multilayer effects are always a bit cumbersome to build...again, welcome to the world of online.

I too would just do it in fusion. This shot took me about 6 mins.

Basic idea... each group of nodes is 1 of your boxes. The "group" is just what I used to create text on a coloured bg.
This would be your images. Each of those Images go into a transform for you to do your animated movement.
Each one of those transform nodes has a mask shape to limit the final picture to just be the size of the box you want to display at the end. Those mask shapes are created using the grid (which is the background and the 4 masks strung together at the end) I also used the individual mask shape for each number as a mask on the merge node that is used to combine these layers on top of each other. The merge node has two inputs...bg (yellow triangle) and fg (green triangle) as well as a mask input (purple triangle) As you build each item as it's indivual box with masks and movement, you cascade them on top of each other with these merge tools, and then add your grid mask at the very end to overlay on top of all of the other layers. It looks complicated, but it is quite simple when you start breaking it down into the individual pieces. Nodes might look confusing at first, but just think of each section as a layer on a timeline, and each node as a tool or effect added to a clip on the timeline, with the merge dictating if that layer is on top (fg) or underneath (bg) of the other item plugged into the merge tool.

The *** is a background tool set to be transparent, and 1920 x 1080. This gives me something to merge the first layer to, as well as helps set my comp size, as well keeps me working on a transparent bg as I cut out the shapes.

Yes you might have to do some basic fusion tutorials, but it is well worth it to learn this program. Something like this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]