FORUMS: list search recent posts

Super Scale: how to use???

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
Super Scale: how to use???
on Mar 28, 2019 at 5:46:51 pm

Super Scale is advertised in the manual and its settings appear in the Edit page Edit List under Clip Attributes. Simple enough. The manual described the feature and how the Super Scale settings, including the Sharpness and Noise Reduction settings, are selected.

But how to employ it or how to verify the higher resolution (other than checking the Clip Attributes Super Scale setting itself) ???

Again, the resolution increase seems to be missing in action: that is, the Edit page clip metadata continues to indicate the original resolution and the view panes also visually seem to show the original resolution.

The Project Settings page Timeline Resolution field seems unaffected as well.

To be sure, one can use the Deliver page to export the clip with any of the usual output Format, Codec and Resolution settings. But, again, there seems to be no clue or indication of the expected up-scaled image properties.

Gotta be missing something simple and obvious. Any clues???

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: Super Scale: how to use???
on Mar 29, 2019 at 10:02:59 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what you want. Perhaps I'm incorrect, but using the Super Scale is like applying an FX. It is not going to change the attributes of the clip. The clip attributes are going to stay the same, as is the project settings. What you will have is an uprezed clip, which you then can render out to a higher resolution and the clip may retain more quality as compared to upscaling. Then the rendered file will reflect the appropriate attributes depending on how you change the resolution. Or, I suppose you could use the Super Scale to improve the quality of a low quality clip and keep the resolution the same for the render.

Whether the clip is acceptable will depend on how much Super Scale you have applied, how good the original clip was how much sharpening and noise reduction was used as well as other corrections you may have made, etc.

Not ot long ago I tinkered with Super Scale, but zooming in on a 1080p clip from 1.0 to 13.0, then applied the Super Scale 4x, with sharpening and noise reduction set the medium. There was quite an improvement. Of course not as good as if I had zoomed in with the camera, but pretty good enough, in that example, I may have been able to save the shot.

Perhaps I have failed to understand exactly what it is you want to happen.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Mar 30, 2019 at 2:32:57 am

Thanks, George. That may well be the answer: that is, the Super Scale properties of the clip are not changed or reflected in the editor (nor in the Color page) and the Super Scale attribute is not even indicated in the Delivery page. But Super Scale, when set in the Clip Attributes of the Edit page Edit Index, is nevertheless incorporated into the rendered output.

Sounds simple enough.

But the 2600+ page manual might have mentioned what you just clarified.

Thanks again, George.
Mike

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Mar 30, 2019 at 7:51:11 am

George; yes, think you are right that Super Scale is applied on the output render.

And the scaling or size change is only visible during the Deliver page render in the view window.

I see in the Deliver page view window that the image jumps up in size when the render starts. And then the image in the Deliver page view window collapses back to the expected size as soon as the render is complete.

Thanks again, George.
Mike

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Mar 31, 2019 at 3:28:38 am

Curious. For me super scale applies instantly. However, I never apply it until I'm finished with other work because seems it's not accelerated and just bogs playback down to a crawl, cooling fans howling. .... but the visual results are great! I haven't been using an external display, I should check that. Maybe you aren't seeing it on the timeline as it has something to do with how it encodes realtime to hardware / or in the external hardware itself (HDMI or SDI)?

"THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA" -

And more...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]