FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dcp creation for PC

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Hoffmann
Dcp creation for PC
on Mar 15, 2019 at 1:48:10 am

Dear All,
I recently jumped straight into the Dcp-creation biz without much knowledge. I am using a 12 core trashcan, Mac os, Davinci 12.5 with easy dcp plugin.

I created the DCP and validated it and shipped to a festival but they called and said they cannot work with it because they are on a PC based system.

Question, where do I manage in Resolve that the DCP is mac and or PC friendly? Do I need a higher Resolve?

Cheers and Thank you all in advance!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Dcp creation for PC
on Mar 15, 2019 at 4:08:42 am

DCPs are not OS specific. Did you send it on a mac formatted drive?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 15, 2019 at 1:05:58 pm

The DCP spec calls for ext3 formatted drives (Linux format) but in practice most cinema management systems run on Windows. Why cinemas don't have MacDrive or a free ext3 util to mount any drives on Windows is beyond me. Not expensive and saves hundreds of dollars and anxiety getting the right formatted drives delivered. I gave up doing DCPs as so many cinemas are not compliant with the format. Don't assume they can reliably read exFAT either. Just give them NTFS formatted drives. And you won't get the drives USB cable back most likely.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 15, 2019 at 5:24:56 pm

[Michael Gissing] "The DCP spec calls for ext3 formatted drives (Linux format) but in practice most cinema management systems run on Windows."

That is correct, and it is all the more frustrating that so many exhibitions are running with ad hoc installations that are incompatible on a variety of levels with the DCI specification. Even when you do comply, the chances are that the submission will be rejected for one reason or another, the vast majority of the time because the exhibitor is out of compliance.

NTFS will work... if you are a macOS-based service, it may well be the best option, even if you run one of the LInux overlays (ie. Paragon). I just sent out a package a few days ago, and was almost immediately requested to do an upload. Sure, 64GB, here you go...

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Max Hoffmann
on Mar 15, 2019 at 8:50:49 pm

Thank you!! The upload would be the best of all versions but ay one needs speed for that.

Max Hoffmann
everything_max@mac.com
http://www.everythingmax.com

Return to posts index

Max Hoffmann
on Mar 15, 2019 at 8:49:04 pm

Thank you. I tried your recommendation but will probably need to make Blue Ray backup just in case.

Max Hoffmann
everything_max@mac.com

Return to posts index

Max Hoffmann
on Mar 15, 2019 at 8:47:46 pm

Yes I did and in one case the so called projectionist said he had a spare mac book pro and was able to play the dip in another case they could not. I ended up formatting a drive into DOD FAT and hope for the best.

Max Hoffmann
everything_max@mac.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 15, 2019 at 10:39:01 pm

[Max Hoffmann] "I ended up formatting a drive into DOD FAT and hope for the best."

Everyone running on a Mac should do what all us PC users routinely do. Buy software that gives us the ability to read and write the other formats. On my PC I run MacDrive as many editors just bring drives in HFS+ and don't really understand drive formatting. On Mac, as Joseph said, use Paragon to enable the Mac to read and write NTFS for Windows. This will also make life easier for editing and finishing work in Resolve anyway, even if you never make another DCP.

Hoping for the best means you are highly likely to have to get Paragon and redo it, costing time and postage. The cinema won't change or buy the software they need so it falls to the DCP maker to manage them.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Mar 16, 2019 at 4:42:49 am

Nothing works reliable.
DCP 'should' be on EXT 2, with proper block sizes and stuff...
That works almost always, except the one cinema here in town where they only accepted NTFS, not even EXfat.
I have no clue why it is so difficult for them not to have a PC in the network. (They always have a PC, never networked with the projectors storage for some reason.)

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 16, 2019 at 5:19:20 am

I've tried ext2 and 3. Most cinemas I have dealt with in Australia cannot read either. The DCP spec says ext3 but some say ext2 is compatible and more reliable. Either way in almost every case I dealt with NTFS was the only reliable drive format.

Considering how simple it is to read ext2 or 3 drive on a WIndows machine, I even offered to email the tiny free util that does this but the other problem is there are not real techs running the show. Usually kids who can sell tickets & popcorn and the tech people visit infrequently. So they are scared to install or just don't know how to install a simple drive read utility.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]