FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to create 3d map in Fusion? Video sample included

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Senechal
How to create 3d map in Fusion? Video sample included
on Mar 12, 2019 at 4:56:54 am

Hey all - check out this really neat effect. They've somehow imported what looks to be the 3d data (from Google?) and edited it into a video.

It begins around the 0:20 mark:

https://hoverprotech.com/924-fatherland-street/

I've been able to do this in 2d with Fusion using an image plane, but the 3d just makes it so much more impressive - any ideas how this could be done in Fusion?

Many thanks, all!

G

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: How to create 3d map in Fusion? Video sample included
on Mar 12, 2019 at 4:06:38 pm

A few months ago I somehow (just do not remember now) upon a special app Google Earth was starting that would allow a user to record this same effect. At the time I signed up for it, but I don not remember if I ever got approval back or not and if I did I never followed up on it. Perhaps a pecking around search you would find this app. Sorry that is all I remember, damn this getting old thing is poking holes in the brain cells!!

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Gerry Senechal
on Mar 17, 2019 at 12:54:17 am

Hey George - many thanks for the post. I have tried to google based on this but keep finding things like basic tutorials of how to use Google Earth. I wish I could somehow search more specifically but that's turning out to be not easy!

While I am really eager to figure out how to do this, I'm also a little afraid of how taxing it will be on my system - just the 2d 5000x5000 image plane has caused a few crashes while I've been working! Can't imagine how much more intensive a 3d image plane (is that an oxymoron?) will be.

If anybody has any insight here, I would be deeply grateful!

Many thanks all,

G

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Mar 17, 2019 at 2:39:50 pm

Hi Gerry,

Here are a few links to get you started. Once you have a Google Earth movie, it should not tax your system as much as high rez overlays, and you can add titles/text, animated pointers, etc. with the build in tools of Resolve.

https://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2015/02/google-earth-pro-movie-mak...

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Gerry Senechal
on Mar 23, 2019 at 4:26:14 am

Many thanks for these links, George - I had no idea this was possible!

I do have to say that these examples seem to lack the smoothness and resolution of the example from my video; do you think my example was also made this way? Perhaps in the years since these videos were made the technology has improved - most certainly worth playing with, which I'm off to do immediately!

It really would be incredible if this was how such animations were made; it would mean I'd been barking up the wrong tree entirely, but I'd much rather know which tree I should have been barking up all along!!

Many thanks again,

G

Return to posts index

Gerry Senechal
on Mar 23, 2019 at 4:39:02 am

Well now that I've had time to play with this a bit, this HAS to be how those videos were made. George, I simply can't thank you enough - I would NEVER have figured this out on my own!!

Thank you so very much,

G

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Mar 23, 2019 at 4:02:23 pm

Gerry@ "I do have to say that these examples seem to lack the smoothness and resolution of the example from my video; do you think my example was also made this way?"

No, I think Hoverpro is using their own drone technologies. I think using Google Earth is an inexpensive alternative. Google Earth requires a credit stamp and Hoverpro does not display this.

However as for the smoothness, I would check the specs of the Google Earth recording and if they do not match with your project, you may have to perform a conversion, and.or, perhaps apply a light motion blur to smooth things out.

Although making long aerial overhead shots like those done by Hoverpro would most likely be best done by using Google Earth movie, you may want to consider an inexpensive DJI drone to make close in low altitude shoots that show the property and neighborhood and then blend that into a 3D aerial of the town/city using Google Earth.

I assume at this point you know a lot more about Google Earth Movie than I do from your research. Sounds like a fun project that may in fact provide you with some really nice views. I would be interested in seeing your results when you have fine tune them.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Gerry Senechal
on Mar 23, 2019 at 6:49:11 pm

This is funny - I actually am a professional drone operator! I am very well acquainted with what drones are capable of and I'm quite sure the 3D maps they're using are not drone, but I think Google Earth is quite close for sure. I'll have to do a bit more poking around! Many thanks again for opening my eyes to this!

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Mar 23, 2019 at 8:12:12 pm

Hi Gerry,

You are far more familiar than I with drones. I'm a pilot and have resisted drones since whenever. But, this may be the year when I dive into them. Good Luck with your project.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]