FORUMS: list search recent posts

Whites clipping to harsh blue color

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Hansen
Whites clipping to harsh blue color
on Feb 27, 2019 at 1:52:59 am

My apologies if this is a begginer's problem. I am grading some R3D files shot at 8K on a RED Helium. When I apply my grade to it, a strange blue color appears in the whites. I am looking everywhere at the program but cannot find what is causing this and how to eliminate it.

Before Grade:

After Grade:

Any idea on what is going on?

Thank you so much for you time.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Whites clipping to harsh blue color
on Feb 27, 2019 at 6:15:06 am

What are your Raw settings? Are you using a LUT?

One workaround: use Soft Clip and reduce the Blue clip level.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Hansen
on Feb 27, 2019 at 6:34:05 am

My workflow is this:

Import the R3D files via XML, use the color match (an X-rite color checker passport was used on set), then grade.

I'm using project settings, but I tried all the color settings in the project settings, I tried switching the Red Raw settings, I tried black hole sun fixer, lowering the highlight clip in the curves.

It doesn't seem to occur when I grade from scratch, not using the color match.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 27, 2019 at 7:29:18 am

Well could you not use the color match in that case?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Hansen
on Feb 27, 2019 at 7:46:41 am

Yes that is a work around, in fact what I ended up doing is exporting it with this artifact and then selectively keying it out in premiere. Cost me a few hours but I was able to get around it.

I suppose I was just asking if anyone knew what is causing this and if there was a simple solution that I just overlooked.

I appreciate your time / response though!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 27, 2019 at 8:30:44 am

You can selectively key out the problem just as easily as Premiere in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Hansen
on Feb 27, 2019 at 9:10:18 am

I'm certain that is the case - however I was stubbornly wanting to use the X-rite. I wasn't able to key in out in Davinci even with another node. That was another odd thing.

I agree that I could just do the grade over, I was too deep to start over. I was hoping the was a simple fix other than not using a feature.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 27, 2019 at 8:31:53 am

There's nothing done in Color Match that you can't also do manually. All it takes is time and work, plus knowing how to interpret scopes and the monitor.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 27, 2019 at 12:04:14 pm

Also using the automatic color match to a target isn't some magical one click done-sort of deal. If there are lighting/exposure/whatever issues with the target footage there can be all kinds of weird results.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Hansen
on Feb 27, 2019 at 5:09:40 pm

Right... I was just trying to get to a balanced shot to start actually grading. What the X-rite is made for.

I guess maybe I wasn't clear. I understand that I can grade everything from scratch, as I have been doing for years. But there is no reason for these whites to clip into a harsh blue color like this even using the color match feature. My hope was that someone would have a very obvious solution to this issue - perhaps it was a common one that I just didn't know about not having used the color match feature.

So far the advice has been repeatedly - don't use the color match feature which though I appreciate input, is not helpful in any way.

Has anyone else seen this type of artifact? Where whites are clipped into a very harsh color? Using color match OR NOT, since the solution may be the same. If so, what was your fix other than throwing away all your work and starting over?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 27, 2019 at 6:05:49 pm

[Jeremy Hansen] "So far the advice has been repeatedly - don't use the color match feature which though I appreciate input, is not helpful in any way."

Please do use the color match feature IF you know what you're doing. There are some tips in the manual. I never start forcing my colors according to a target, but I will probably check out white, gray and black balance on it.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Feb 28, 2019 at 5:43:21 pm

If you aren't already using Log3G10/Red Wide Gamut RGB (aka, IPP2) as your debayer settings, try switching to that. The chroma clipping issue is something we've encountered a number of times (particularly on the Helium cameras) when using the previous debayers, such as Dragoncolor. RWG was designed to eliminate that and generally does.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Hansen
on Feb 28, 2019 at 5:45:50 pm

Thank you for your answer! I am away for a bit but I will try it and report back.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 3, 2019 at 8:36:03 pm

[Jeremy Hansen] " use the color match (an X-rite color checker passport"

I'd be curious to see your X-Rite before-and-after. It sort of looks like the highlights in the background are correct, and the *clip* foreground has been pumped up over the top, forcing a cyan overshoot.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]