FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time-lapse taking too long

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Klassen
Time-lapse taking too long
on Feb 26, 2019 at 4:43:42 pm

I'm working with someone who used a BM 4K camera to shoot a 1hr clip to turn into a time-lapse, brought it into Resolve, changed the time on the clip to play in 1min, and it's taking 6hrs to render. Is there a faster way to render? What's causing this delay?

My guess is that it seems like in the background, Resolve is working on a proxy or render of the original 1hr clip before it gets to the 1min time change...? If so, is this something that can be bypassed in the settings to get this rendered more quickly?

Any ideas is most appreciated.
Thanks,
- Eric

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Klassen
CableLabs
Executive Producer
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Time-lapse taking too long
on Mar 1, 2019 at 7:47:59 am

[Eric Klassen] "Is there a faster way to render?"

Probably.

[Eric Klassen] " What's causing this delay? "

Dunno, because you've given pretty much zero information for us to troubleshoot with. System specs, storage specs, project settings, export settings, that kind of stuff would be neat.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Time-lapse taking too long
on Mar 2, 2019 at 1:07:53 pm

[Eric Klassen] "I'm working with someone who used a BM 4K camera to shoot a 1hr clip to turn into a time-lapse, brought it into Resolve, changed the time on the clip to play in 1min, and it's taking 6hrs to render. Is there a faster way to render? What's causing this delay?"
Well, on a modest system, it might take at least 2 hours just to render the one hour of material, depending on the rendered format and resolution you choose.

Given that you're speeding up the material by 60X, my guess is that Resolve needs to cache all that information, figure out how to compress the frame-rate, and then finally render out the 1-minute piece.

Even on a fast system, I think this would be taxing. 6 hours sounds a little long, but I could totally understand 2-3 hours. As a workaround: what if you rendered first at the original speed to a mezzanine format like DNxHR or ProRes, then took that flattened 1-hour file and sped that up 60X? I bet that could be done fairly quickly, since the CinemaDNG (or BMD Raw) files would now be debayered and easier to handle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]