FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP XML Import not working with Sony 120fps camera files

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Price
FCP XML Import not working with Sony 120fps camera files
on Feb 24, 2019 at 8:14:52 pm

Hi all,

I've usually had no issues with importing FCP X XML's into Davinci projects. In fact normally I just edit in Davinci, but I decided to edit in FCP X with Sony A7 III footage. The Sony files are UHD 120fps Slow motion files, that read as 23.98fps footage, which I assume the camera took care of. The files are not in a FCP X library but in it's own directory.

When I import the FCP X XML it gives me an error saying that it can't find the footage. It then gives me the option to look for the footage but when i direct it to the directory, it still errors, saying it still can't find the footage. When I choose the "No" option, when importing media, it then gives me the following error: No overlap between specified target timecodes and located file timecodes

It then imports what looks like a bunch of audio clips with the name of the video clips. This is really odd, and I've never seen this before. This is also my first time shooting with the Sony camera, so I'm wondering if it's related, to how I imported the Sony media? Anyway...would love some guidance if you have any. Thanks!!

It's also worth noting when importing the same XML in Premiere Pro, I don't run into this issue at all......

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: FCP XML Import not working with Sony 120fps camera files
on Feb 25, 2019 at 5:06:12 am

What happens if you export the XML from Premiere and then import that into Resolve?

Return to posts index

Peter Price
Re: FCP XML Import not working with Sony 120fps camera files
on Feb 25, 2019 at 12:55:28 pm

If the sequence originated in FCP X, I run into the same issue, but if I import the footage directly into Resolve or Premiere and rebuild the edit natively in those apps it’s fine.

I learned that FCP X has issues reading Sony Alpha cameras timecode. Apparently it’s a known issue and only appears when you import xml sequences from FCP X that contain Sony Alpha Camera footage. If they are imported and edited directly in Premiere or Resolve from the start, there is no issue as these applications have no issues with reading the Sony Alpha footage.

There are two workarounds from what I hear and have confirmed they work...

1. Once the XML is imported into Resolve, go to each clip and change the Timecode start time for each clip to 00:00:00:00 in Clip Attributes. Not too big of a deal if you’re working on a short form project. But for longer project I would go for the next option.

2. Transcode any Sony Alpha Footage in FCP X to ProRes before exporting the XML into Resolve.

Again this issue is ONLY present when exporting XML’s From FCP X with Sony Alpha camera footage and importing the XML into Resolve and is a issue with FCP X and Sony.
I usually edit directly with Davinci Resolve from the start but thought I would experiment with FCP X this time around which is why I’ve never run into this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]