FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting an AAF

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori Waite
Exporting an AAF
on Feb 22, 2019 at 4:07:21 pm

I'm attempting to send an AAF to the sound mixer. Resolve has three ways to do this: on the Delivery Page, I can choose Protools or AvidAAF from the presets, or in the bin I can right-click on the timeline, select Generate AAF from the second layer of drop down menus. Comparing the three AAF, the AVid AAF includes mxf video, the ProTools AAF just has one file for the 720p video of the timeline. The AAF in the bin is problematic. The audio clips generated are the clips attached to the picture. In other words, the scratch or reference audio the camera recorded. The clips are not generated from the separate WAVS the location mixer recorded. So this is useless. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Also, I would like to have the embedded option when making the AAF as well as the option of using the entire take the timeline sound clip came from. I don't see these paramaters offered when making any of the three AAFs. I do see that I can add handles to the preset on the delivery page, but, again, I'd like to hand over the entire take, not just the snd clip itself with handles. All the other NLEs offer this option. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I'm running Resolve 15.2.2 on a Mac.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Exporting an AAF
on Feb 22, 2019 at 4:15:23 pm

I've never had any of Resolve AAF options work, ever.

Warren Eig
O (424) 293-1164

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 23, 2019 at 5:50:16 pm

One of the reasons i still offline in Avid. I hear nothing but complaints about the resolve aaf to sound workflow.

I haven't tried syncing audio in Resolve for years, but when I did it then, i discovered it wasn't linking back to the original waves when the list was created, so that ended that experiment. Not sure if that has changed or not, but that sounds like one of the issues you are having as well.

If you want the sound house to have the entire take, which they often ask for, why not just send them your original wave files? The sound houses i deal with will quite often just ask for all the original audio files. Gives them options on takes that weren't used, and timecodes should match your aaf files. That should give them everything they need.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Lori Waite
on Feb 23, 2019 at 6:48:43 pm

I think that's a good plan that you suggest: that the mixer has access to all the WAV files along with the AAF file. I'm not in the same location as he (I'm in Nashville, he's in L.A.) but all the files are in the cloud, I'm told.

My encounter with this issue of making an AAF plus a handful of other issues does make me wish I were back on Avid. In general, I find the Resolve NLE very glitchy, especially with audio files. Sometimes when I match frame to the original audio clip so I can replace the boom with the lav, for example, what ends up getting spliced onto the timeline is sound from a different take entirely. Like there's corrupt media. (Maybe its once again the camera reference track.) Finding workarounds to all these glitches eats into valuable editing time.

As for trying to generate a proper AAF in Resolve, the Black Magic tech support person said the Resolve workflow is different from all of the other NLEs. For me to find out what Resolve's AAF workflow is, I need to subscribe to Ripple.com and work through the tutorials. Amazing. I offered that maybe they should just include it in the Resolve manual. He didnt have a response to that.

Thanks for your help. I'm glad to know its I'm not missing something after all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]