FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different resolution and Codec

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Vo
Different resolution and Codec
on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:01:09 pm

Hello all,

I wanted to know if it's possible, and easy, to perform this all at once.

I have received a 30 minute short film that is in 2k (ProRes 422) and a HD (h.264) video file. They're exactly the same footage, but it needs to be cutdown to about 15 minutes.

I was wondering if I can bring in the two video files in the same timeline and apply the cutdown to both as oppose to doing it separately? If possible, is there any settings, preferences, etc, that I need to be aware of? If it's not possible, is there an efficient and effective route that I should look into?

Thanks all in advance!

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Different resolution and Codec
on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:48:07 pm

In any cases you will have to output 2 different versions... right? Why can't you work from the ProRes version only, make your changes and output to 2 file formats from that master? what am I missing? in the deliver page you can change the resolution output of your master timeline...

Best

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Phil Vo
on Feb 13, 2019 at 8:52:27 pm

Thanks for the quick reply David.

I am very new to Resolve, so bare may novice questions.

Correct, there will be 2 different output. I'd figure since I receive 2 master files that I will keep them at it's original format and not have Resolve output new media. Now, if that what you mention is the most efficient, than I'll go that route.

I believe in Media Composer you can still link the original footage as "same as source" in a 2K project, make all the revisions for both video files, and change the project settings according to what resolution I want prior to output. Since you mentioned the delivery page in Resolve, could I essentially do the same? Bring both footage in, make the revisions, than on the delivery page change the resolution for each video file?

I know there's tons of paths to take, but I'm curious if there's any other efficient way to tackle this.

David, truly appreciate your input.

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Feb 13, 2019 at 9:49:21 pm

Nope. You will have to output two new files in any cases. That means new encoding.

I would assume that your H.264 files is more compressed than your ProRes file (they are many flavors of H.264, so it is hard to know without looking at your file). This is why I said you are better off working from your most pristine quality file and recreate from that your 2 new files, one to ProRes, the other to H.264. I do not see the point to have the same cuts done on 2-different file formats, if your content is exactly the same!

If you output from your H.264 file to H.264 again, you are going to loose some information... I would assume you are concerned about the quality of your video?😉

To answer your question, you could change the overall resolution of your project from the general settings with a few caveats. But it seems in your case the easiest way would be to change your resolution in the Delivery page. For more detail explanation, please look into DaVinci Resolve manual which is a must have for reference.

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Phil Vo
on Feb 14, 2019 at 1:52:04 am

Thanks David for your explanation.

I think I’m going to go with what you suggested. So I’ll just disregard the h.264 and just make all the cutdown with the ProRes 422 file. The delivery page is where I just change the resolution of the file. Seems easy enough, hopefully ☺

I was afraid of loss of quality, hence the concern I had. Thanks again David for your insight!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 15, 2019 at 5:23:55 am

The lower quality file is irrelevant to anything you are doing.

Simply think of it as a master file that needs a cutdown....do the cutdown.
Now ask the client "what do you want for outputs"
do the outputs.

If the client were to say i need a version that is mxf, you wouldn't need to ask them for an mxf version as well...you would just create that as part of your deliverables.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]