Terence Christopher
Does Da Vinci Like M2T Videos?
on Feb 12, 2019 at 1:26:56 am

How do you set up DaVinci to handle M2T videos and output to MP4 H264

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Does Da Vinci Like M2T Videos?
on Feb 12, 2019 at 2:31:22 am

Very bad format for post. Convert it first to a more post-friendly format. There are a zillion conversion programs that will transcode to DNxHD or DNxHR or ProRes out there. For the most part, all Long-GOP H.264/H.265 format are problematic. M2T (MPEG-2 transport stream) files are intended as final delivery files, not for editing or color or VFX.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 12, 2019 at 5:29:47 pm

Thanks for your reply.. I do not have your expertise, but was coming to the realisation that M2T was the stumbling block. I however posted this to see if I was mistaken and that there was a way forward without that step.
Thanks
Terence

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 12, 2019 at 10:13:09 pm

Marc I would like to ask your advice.. I have been transposing the video clips to MP4 thinking that they would be the safest way forward. However your suggestion that the DNxHD DNxHR are the preferred way to go makes me think I should change course.. Why are these better and which one do you recommend? My goal is just to have long lasting formats for high quality archival purposes and easily readability. I am using a PC and Windows 10 which limits me.
I am afraid I do not as yet know the structuring of the files and wrappers etc.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 13, 2019 at 4:50:50 am

Can I ask a second question. I have a file which was captured at 1080 i Like the other files that I am currently editing. However when I try to edit it, I can see that the image on the initial window is not in the 16X9 format but in the 4x3. The clips were captured as M2t and have been transcribed into Mp4. I would have assumed that they were altered at the time of the change in format. However the clips can be displayed in the VLC media player and play at the 16x9 shape without a problem. What is happening and what should I do about it.? I did try to alter the initial settings for the editor by requiring the 19x6 format for all images and stretching, but that seems to be a phony way to go as I did not understand what I was doing.
Thanks
Terence

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 13, 2019 at 8:28:07 am

[Terence Christopher] "I can see that the image on the initial window is not in the 16X9 format but in the 4x3."

It's probably shot in HD anamorphic and requires you to set the correct pixel aspect ratio. So the file is in 4x3 but the actual image is 16x9 squeezed into that.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 13, 2019 at 5:36:50 pm

Thanks for that advice. I will try switching the pixel ratio.
I really appreciate your help
Terence

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 13, 2019 at 10:14:22 am

"I am using a PC and Windows 10 which limits me." Why ?

DNxHD for 1080 HD ! DNxHR for High Res. like UHD and 4K

Why ? DNxHD and Proes - read all 3 pages

https://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/88-why-you-should-use-dnxhd-and-pror...

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Feb 13, 2019 at 11:39:06 am

Hi Terence,

are you a newbi to editing?
Before you start a project you transcode all your files into one editing format according to your workflow.
What is your workflow? You should have one. You can't just throw any codec onto your timeline. This blows your system.
For example: We have set our workflow to ProRes422 if we work in HD, for 4k we have set it to ProResHQ.
Avoid all H264/H265 files (needs transcoding), GOP files are a pain in the ass for any cutter.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 13, 2019 at 5:32:06 pm

Yes I am a newby and I have been doing what you describe and have had M2t and Mp4 files which I am trying to sort out. Until I saw Ole's note and reference I did not understand the importance of switching out of those codecs for editing. I think I have been gumming up Da Vinci as it does not destroy projects even though the user deletes them. (Until a few days ago I did not realise that De Vinci was unable to read the M2T codec) It also doesn't seem set up to handle 30 fps 1080 i ( I am dealing with 1080 i files from an old Sony) as well as UHD from a Panasonic GS4 which I have been storing on drives but now want to sort out and archive . The files are in their original formats.
Are there good programs to convert from those codexes to the preferred ones.
Thanks for your great help
Terence

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:25:51 pm

Yes I am a newby and I have been doing what you describe and have had M2t and Mp4 files which I am trying to sort out. Until I saw Ole's note and reference I did not understand the importance of switching out of those codecs for editing. I think I have been gumming up Da Vinci as it does not destroy projects even though the user deletes them. (Until a few days ago I did not realise that De Vinci was unable to read the M2T codec) It also doesn't seem set up to handle 30 fps 1080 i ( I am dealing with 1080 i files from an old Sony) as well as UHD from a Panasonic GS4 which I have been storing on drives but now want to sort out and archive . The files are in their original formats.

Follow UP I cannot find any software that does the transcoding to either DNxHD or DNxHR from my formats.. I am probably looking in the wrong place. I have NCH sotware that does not mention those codecs I think it must be restricted to professional sources.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 13, 2019 at 7:10:01 pm

Follow UP I cannot find any software that does the transcoding to either DNxHD or DNxHR from my formats.. I am probably looking in the wrong place. I have NCH sotware that does not mention those codecs I think it must be restricted to professional sources.
While you are still around can you advise me who manufactures a video recorder that would take the output of my Panasonic 4G recording it in DNxHR Maybe I should bite the bullet.
Thanks
Graham

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 13, 2019 at 5:00:41 pm

Ole That is superb information that I lacked. I will immediately start looking further into it. I obviously should go this way.
Terence

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:10:26 pm

here are a lot of programs to convert!

ER Media ToolKit is easy to use - just drag the footage in to the program !
Use DNxHD.mov - I tried with .mxf but Davinci Resolve can't see the footage.

You can download ER Media ToolKit here:

https://audiospot.audio/audiospot-creativetools

ER Media ToolKit Convert to ProRes DNxHD and H264

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 13, 2019 at 6:36:22 pm

"Follow UP I cannot find any software that does the transcoding to either DNxHD or DNxHR from my formats.. I am probably looking in the wrong place. I have NCH sotware that does not mention those codecs I think it must be restricted to professional sources."

Just look at my post !

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 13, 2019 at 7:30:01 pm

"While you are still around can you advise me who manufactures a video recorder that would take the output of my Panasonic 4G recording it in DNxHR Maybe I should bite the bullet."

I got a Atomos Ninja Flame for my Panasonic gh4 and V-Log L !

Panasonic GH4 Setup with the Atomos Flame Series

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 13, 2019 at 9:48:40 pm

Hi Ole I read the superb article carefully, but only found the reference to an external recorder. I have found the Atmos which looks very interesting, but I couldn't find anything that would transcode my existing files. Perhaps I am missing something. Thanks for your help.
Terence

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 13, 2019 at 9:55:11 pm

Why can't you use ER Media Toolkit to convert your footage - read my message about ER Media Toolkit !

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 13, 2019 at 11:47:45 pm

Hi Ole I have just downloaded Media Toolkit. It seems superb and I really want to thank you for referring me to it.
It seems to be exactly what I needed. I can now get under way thanks to your help
Terence

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 13, 2019 at 10:16:54 pm

Ole

Thanks for the information on Transcoding. That is exactly what I needed.. I apologise if I sounded obtuse, but I didn't see this info
Terence

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Feb 14, 2019 at 2:19:03 pm

Why do you want to use DNx codecs,

these are Avid codecs. If I were you I would go for ProRes because it works with all platforms (Premiere, Avid, FCP, Davinci). If I were an Avid user I would go for DNx, but just with Avid alone.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 14, 2019 at 2:25:21 pm

DNxHD/HR formats work with pretty much everything and not only Avid. Also not all applications can export Prores on Windows eg. Resolve.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 14, 2019 at 3:26:29 pm

Yes, Dnx for Windows and ProRes for Mac !

Another great program to convert .mts footage is:

5DtoRGB Batch GUI

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 14, 2019 at 3:34:03 pm

https://f1.creativecow.net/13113/5dtorgb-batch-gui

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 14, 2019 at 7:25:15 pm

Thanks Ole ,Rainer,and Tero Your suggestions, and support have been really superb. I now am beginning to understand the problem that I didn't know existed a few days ago. Without your information I would have been hopelessly struggling. I am now reconsidering everything I have been doing and am planning to transfer all of my M2t and possibly Mp4 files to one of these formats though the superbly easy and powerful program by Sagi Gal is very tempting. I hope I can just switch over in Da Vinci without a problem though as everything up to now has been MP4
I will just try it and see. Do you leave everything in your machines in these formats and only export in MP4 or for a selected target? Do that work as an archival system? It obviously takes more space. Can AVI player read these files?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 14, 2019 at 8:56:47 pm

Is only happy to help !

My computer is powerful enough that I don't have to convert internal mp4 recordings from my Panasonic GH4!

When I edit DNxHD / HR footage from my Atomos Ninja Flame, in Davinci Resolve, I also export a DNxHD / HR finished movie - that's my Master - which I can use to convert to mp4 as needed - it's faster to use a Master - no need to render! DNxHD / HR takes up more space - but storage is cheap today!

You can use VLC Media Player to play DNxHD / HR!

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 14, 2019 at 11:16:07 pm

Thanks Ole and George. The info is very reassuring.I am still pretty ignorant so would like to check a couple of things
1) Ole I think you implied that you render back to Master still in the DNx... format and then only export to Mp4 if needed. Is that correct?
2) The batch transcoder you recommend did not indicate what formats it codes to. Does it do both DNxDH and DNxDR
I have a bunch of files to transcode.
3) Is the H264 wrapper still used in all of these or is it only with MP4 ? I don't understand this at all nor whether it is a supplemental component just used for transmission. I assume I should always render to H264 at this time.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 14, 2019 at 9:29:10 pm

Hi Terence,

I would just like to follow an addition to Ole. Like he, I use a Panasonic GH4. Like he I use an Atomos Ninja Flame. By the time you add a few extra batteries, several SSD drive for recording, some attachment gizmo's for mounting the camera and recorder, they are a bit pricey. But once I did that, I never looked back. And here are 2 additional benefits....

1. I have several SSD drives of 500GB and 1TB, which when you start recording higher bit rate DNx and/or ProRes will enable you to record all day, and the drives are hot swapable and swap out quickly.

2. The Atomos Ninja Flame has a 7" HD monitor, which also has a bunch of feature for focus assist, exposure control, as well as, being able to load a LUT, if you are recording in V-Log L, you can see the Rec 709 conversion right on the Ninja Flame monitor, and it also has some HDR to ticker with.

In addition, Resolve 15.2.3 likes either the ProRes or DNx formatted files.

Soon I will probably be adding a GH5. But even though it will record 422 10 bit internally, I will most likely also get an Atomos recorder to attach to it for the extra benefits they offer. Of course there are various Atomos models and I think Balckmagic makes a nice recorder monitor as well. Just my few cents.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 15, 2019 at 8:38:20 pm

"Ole I think you implied that you render back to Master still in the DNx... format and then only export to Mp4 if needed. Is that correct?" Yes

"The batch transcoder you recommend did not indicate what formats it codes to. Does it do both DNxDH and DNxDR ?"

The 5DtoRGB Batch GUI program - is much older than DNxHR - so it's only DNxHD!

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 19, 2019 at 12:12:22 am

Hi Ole I am now in a position to start testing. I have one question converting from HD 1080 M2t to DNxHD
I was given the option of anamorphic or letterbox It seems irrelevant as I have no images that are not in the 1080 format. What should I choose and when is this an issue?
Thanks
Terence

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 19, 2019 at 3:45:07 am

I aplogise for the previous post. Running the programme made it obvious and that letterbox was not the way to go.
so thank for all of the generous help
Terence

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 19, 2019 at 9:08:46 am

Hi Terence !

Pillarbox/Letterboxis the way to go if you got 1920x1080 footage !

Maybe you got 1440x1080 ?

best,
Ole

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 19, 2019 at 7:06:15 pm

I must have 1440 . I have no info in the camera manual and so far cannot find info on the web. It is an early Sony from 2005 so the technology was inferior at that time. I must ask your help with the batch processor that I downloaded from Cow. It has two programmes 64 and 86 I don't know whether 64 refers to windows10 64 bit ( which I have) and the other refers to the standard Windows s86 format. The other setting was to MTS or MOv
I assumed that Mts was correct. Howeverwhen I tried to open a video win M2T it wasn't even recognised in the folder
I must be doing something stupid but exactly what it is escapes me

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 19, 2019 at 7:12:45 pm

Oh I have just found other parameter though they always point to apple files. The matrixes they refer to are beyond my skill Can you give me a pointer towards a discussion of them so I can be more intelligent about using them
Sorry about this

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 19, 2019 at 7:46:29 pm

I tried loading a file of m2t clips into the programme and then searched for the avid DnxHD 10 bit output. However the programme complained .mts files found Thus my problem is how to I get it to read m2t files. or videos
I am slowly getting there but maybe there is another set of parameters I need to juggle

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 19, 2019 at 8:38:55 pm

In Windows 10 - right-click your mouse on one of your recordings - and choose Properties - Details - look for your recordings are 1440x1080!

If your recordings are 1440x1080, you cannot use 5DtoRGBbatchGUI! The program is only for full HD 1920x1080!

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 19, 2019 at 8:50:24 pm

Hi Ole Thanks for taking the time to help me. That explains my problem. However the Audio Spot is working very well I have been able to paste 60 short clips onto it and it worked perfectly, and I have just tested a 6 gigabyte short video which it also handled without a problem. As it also de interlaces it is very helpful. I did as you said and my video is 1440 X 1080 which explains my problem with the other program.
Thanks so much for your kindness and great help. I would have been in a mess without your help.
Terence

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 19, 2019 at 8:59:46 pm

You are welcome Terence !

best, Ole

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 20, 2019 at 7:01:41 pm

I apologise for more questions. The file conversion is going at a great rate. The programme is superb and very stable. However I would like your advice on back up.. I will end up having both m2t and DnxHD copies of every clip. on my system. Would you keep both or would it be reasonable to delete the m2t files. I am using a RAID system so I have one back up and I plan to have a remote set of files (not yet set up) in addition. I have a QNAP network storage system taking care of the files and hope that this together with the remote back up will give long term security.
Thanks
Terence

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 21, 2019 at 8:24:10 am

Hi Terence

Nice that it goes forward! It is very difficult to advise on what to save and what to delete! It also depends on how much space you have - I usually save both and eventually I delete the one version!

best,
Ole

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 21, 2019 at 5:57:19 pm

Hi Ole Thanks I feel the same way. I just have 3 Terabytes of my m2t files and was thinking about storing them on a separate USB drive just in case. I am glad you are equally cautious. I am also keeping the original tapes and camera . They will probably be dug up10,000 years from now from some landfill. with the 3 Tb USB drive

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 21, 2019 at 8:37:38 pm

Terence, my 2 cents.....

When I have used intermediate files in place of the original source media for a best quality project, I have to wonder why I would ever need the originals? There are some positive answers that will depend on the future and a big maybe, but for practical purposes, if the originals were not good enough for my project and I was forced to use intermediates, most likely if I needed that source for a re-do or another project I would want to use the intermediates. So, if I want redundant storage it will be multiple copies of those intermediates.

I'm sure there is probably a obscure reason to keep the originals, but for me and my workflow I fail to identify any.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 21, 2019 at 10:34:50 pm

I would keep the originals for the simple reason of "protection against disaster." If calamity struck and multiple drives failed, it's nice to have the ability to go back to the "original" originals and redo the transcodes. But once the project is done, you could most likely wipe the MT2T files and just keep the transcodes. Drives are cheap.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 22, 2019 at 7:07:53 am

Ole Dean and Marc
Thanks for your advice and experience. The problem is having too many discs etc. It is only recently that big discs have been cheap enough and my present problem stems from having files scattered across discs that are too small and unwieldy to be useful. I am now deleting multiple reduntant disks and centralising the back up as well as switching to the mxf. format. Hopefully my work flow will become rational. Thanks for all of your great help it has given me the ability to do this. Sorry to ask one more question. can you recommend a good utility that allows me to see the metadata of these videos? It would be really nice to have that abstracted into a data base linked to them. Can you do that with DaVinci?
Terence

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]