FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic eGPU performance impact on Resolve on IMac

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john whiteway
Blackmagic eGPU performance impact on Resolve on IMac
on Feb 6, 2019 at 2:01:39 am

Hi.

I've been reading what I can about external GPUs, the Blackmagic eGPU in particular. I'm wondering how much beneficial effect the Blackmagic eGPU (with Radeon Pro 580) would have on Resolve when running on an IMac that already has a Radeon Pro 580 card. It seems the external GPU market was designed primarily with laptops with slower GPUs, and most of the data I've been able to see, including Blackmagic's, is for their impact on these machines.

I've installed Resolve 15 and see already that dissolves are registering a slower frame rate. Would a Blackmagic eGPU significantly help the flow of a timeline on my machine (I'm less worried about rendering times)?

Thanks

John

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
Re: Blackmagic eGPU performance impact on Resolve on IMac
on Feb 8, 2019 at 9:57:16 am

here is some info concerning your question:

http://barefeats.com/do-gpus-always-speed-up-pro-apps.html

http://barefeats.com/egpu_titan_xp_imac_pro.html

so I would say: No, your iMac won't benefit a lot from the Blackmagic eGPU, but it probably would if you choose a cuda-card as an eGPU...

Return to posts index

john whiteway
Re: Blackmagic eGPU performance impact on Resolve on IMac
on Feb 8, 2019 at 4:11:03 pm

Thanks very much for this information Eric; those two articles are the best things I've seen on this subject.

My interest in this question was a result of problems I was experiencing with Resolve 14 - timelines in a project with 70 timelines were doing funny things. If an external GPU was an answer to this (and I must admit I was only assuming that the GPU would play a central part in timeline functioning; as you suggest there are processes that rely more heavily on the CPU and perhaps this is one), then I was hoping the Blackmagic eGPU might be the answer. I had seen some information on the net describing how one could purchase things like the Sonnet box and build an external GPU, but I'll admit doing that is really going into a strange area for me. The idea of a purpose-built system like Blackmagic's, built in cooperation with Apple, had a definite appeal to me.

I've installed Resolve 15 and am hoping that some of its features may solve my problem, or if the problem was a corrupted Resolve 14 file that the mere fact of installing this new version of the app might do the same. Resolve 15 has two wonderful features that it seems might deal with my specific concern: one can select not to have all timelines open and one can turn off all Colour work in the active timeline. So far none of my old problems have re-occurred in Resolve 15, so my hope is that my problem has been resolved.

Now, if they do begin to occur again I might have to screw up my courage and consider the CUDA system you suggest might help.

Thanks again. Specific and knowledgeable help like your is greatly appreciated.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]