FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why can't I put a still onto the time line?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Christopher
Why can't I put a still onto the time line?
on Feb 3, 2019 at 1:56:23 am

I wanted to put a still onto the timeline as an introduction. I find that I am barred from doing this even though I have the still in a bin and can move it into the preview pane The insert into timeline doesn't work as I see a no entry sign on anything I try to do. I can find the image in my file of images, however it is in a different file from the video clips, Where do I start looking?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: Why can't I put a still onto the time line?
on Feb 3, 2019 at 3:13:07 am

I just did it with a .jpg. What file type are you trying to place? Resolve is weird sometimes with file types.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 15.2

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 3, 2019 at 5:43:07 am

Just a regular .jpg from a camera. I have been around the loop a dozen times, trying to copy and paste as well as taking the jpg from the bin displaying it on the source viewer and then trying to insert it into the time line. I tried to insert it into the second time line that I was using for text overlays. I was then thinking but didn't try to create a third timeline just for jpg I think in Vegas it might be necessary to put it in a keyframe but I don't understand that in the Da Vinci setting. I have also tried to make certain that the image is in the right file in the project as that might be the problem though I had hoped that by copying and pasting that I would bypass those issues.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 3, 2019 at 4:03:45 am

p.s. I should explain that I was intending to put stills in the middle of the time line to provide chapter headings. I have not attempted this before. Previously I have put stills at the beginning and end without a problem. Perhaps the problem is with the synchronisation of the time line

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 3, 2019 at 5:47:06 am

What happens if you open up a new video track and drop it just above where you want it to go, using the playhead to show where it needs to start?

Note that in the User Prefs under Editing, you can specify the minimum number of frames (or seconds) a still can have by default when dragged to the timeline. I'm not a fan of JPG stills because of the loss (and because they're often 8-bit), but 10-bit TIFFs or PNGs can work OK. I use them all the time for various projects, and it's not hard to do.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 3, 2019 at 5:58:34 am

I was thinking about that but didn't try it as I thought I might be going off track. Each track is independent of the others isn't it? Thanks for your suggestion Marc you gave me the incentive I needed.
Graham

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 3, 2019 at 3:55:45 pm

Terence, interesting you are having this issue. I can simply drag and drop a still from the Media Pool onto a track above the clip track (jpg or png), or place it on the clip track. Vegas works the same way they treat still the same as video clips and play the length you set it as. Also, like Marc I prefer png or tiff as they are usually better quality than jpg, easier to color and grade and if you need alpha it is there.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 4, 2019 at 12:36:04 am

Thanks Marc and George. I have opened a new track immediately above my primary video track and have another track (3) above that for any text overlays I need to use. I seem to be incapable of putting any still image on it though. I have tried different one without success. I don't know how to define the characteristics of a track ie for still video sound or whatever else so all of video tracks are labelled as that. I must have fouled up my stills folder in some way so that stills are not accepted. I have been searching the Manual for information on stills but can't find anything so can't see where I have got it fouled up. I know there is a magic bullet hiding in plain site somewhere. Is there a way I can review the properties of each track where I can find the error? I am really reluctant to delete the project and start again as I am 80% finished (I think!!!!)
I really appreciate your assistance
Terence

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 4, 2019 at 1:11:39 am

Maybe a screen shot of your timeline and the stills bin (set to thumbnails view).

You've tried just dragging to the timeline from the bin?

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 4, 2019 at 4:46:30 am

Mainly yes I have been dragging just this one file from the bin I will try to set up the screen shots you recommended. I have been reading through chapterS 2+3 of the manual to double check my settings and found that there the setting for the stills gallery was mixed up. I have a computer with 2 Tb drive but most of my files are on a NAS. The system set itself up not knowing about the NAS and worked. Then not knowing whether the HD would gradually fill up. I got the impression that I should put the ?? temporary stores on the NAS. I now have made them both accessible as they should have been before. Hopefully that will help. I will get back with the screen shots
Thanks for your help
Terence

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 4, 2019 at 9:50:17 pm

Michael

Here is a screenshot I tried to take it while attempting to paste into track 2 with the no entry sign showing, However that seems not to have worked.
I think I will try from scratch again just in case there is something that I did earlier which fouled it up

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 4, 2019 at 11:13:14 pm

Terence, as a quick and dirty test, can you drag and drop a still from your Windows Explorer window directly to a track in your timeline?

I'm on Windows 10 and Resolve 15.2.2, how about you?

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 5, 2019 at 12:21:08 am

I am on the same. I have tried taking other still and they didn't work either. I have been looking around the project and find a spurious audio track. I therefore think I will restart it and see whether there has been some corruption that is causing the problem. I really thank all the kind people who have offered help. However I think the project is not worth the time wasted and I should rework it. If I find this problem elsewhere in a clean project I will come back for more Ideas
Thanks so much
Terence

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 5, 2019 at 12:19:46 am

I can see V1 has been deselected and V2 is not selected as the edit destination. Are you saying you can't select V2 (ie get the red box around the V2 above the lock icon)? The fact that you can see the jpg and load it into the source viewer indicates that Resolve is happy with the jpg. Maybe you can load the jpg so we can see if it works on another Resolve system.

Also any details on the version you are using

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 5, 2019 at 1:33:29 am

No I am not. I was trying to paste. I will try it to see and will reply. You are being very kind and helpful. I am really grateful

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 5, 2019 at 1:51:09 am

Dear Michael Thanks for your kind assistance to this dummy who didn't know how to identify the track properly before entering the Still. It popped in without a problem once I followed your instructions I was about to delete and restart the project.
My humble apologies for advertising my ignorance so prodigiously. Henceforth I shall try follow you to see where you impart your wisdom
Terence

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 5, 2019 at 7:27:44 pm

Michael I think this problem which wasted a lot of time for everyone comes in part from the lack of access to short instructions on these simple jobs. The discursive manual is a good introduction but does not allow anyone to find the simple steps to add a still to a time line. The hidden short cuts and triggers/switches are impossible to find. I don't wat to repeat this in another setting so I wonder whether you can point me towards a good synopsis of commands/ functions and how to implement them
Thanks
Terence

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 5, 2019 at 11:15:51 pm

No problem Terence. We all need help getting up to speed with both basic and complicated functions. Have you checked the Blackmagic free tutorials?

Go to their support page and scroll down the videos in the Latest Support Notes Column.

Also there are many good free YouTubers who have some good instructionals. Casey Faris, Meisner Media and JayAreTV have lots of good stuff.

Manuals are there to help but it makes much more sense to watch others pull tricks and shortcuts or just explain signal flow and nodes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]