FORUMS: list search recent posts

Horrible artifacting when color matching xrite's passport on Panasonic VLOG-L footage

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukas Kalinski
Horrible artifacting when color matching xrite's passport on Panasonic VLOG-L footage
on Jan 14, 2019 at 12:20:19 am

So today I made my first shot using the Xrite Passport colorchecker. Now when I wanted to try out the color matching workflow in DaVinci Resolve I end up getting REALLY ugly artifacts. I attach before and after images (one of the images shows the settings used).

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Horrible artifacting when color matching xrite's passport on Panasonic VLOG-L footage
on Jan 14, 2019 at 9:58:20 am

Yes, this is how it is.
You need to exposure right (meaning, all the way open, no matter what end result you want.)
And you need a 10 bit codec, or it will definitely suck.

I totally fail to see why shooting this way is a good idea.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Lukas Kalinski
Re: Horrible artifacting when color matching xrite's passport on Panasonic VLOG-L footage
on Jan 14, 2019 at 1:58:56 pm
Last Edited By Lukas Kalinski on Jan 14, 2019 at 2:05:32 pm

So you mean:

1. Open up aperture to its widest setting
2. Shoot colorchecker
3. Close down aperture to intended setting

Did I get it right?

Regarding the 10-bit remark, the video was shot in C4K ALL-I 24p with bit depth 10 (I guess that's what you refer to when you say 10 bit codec?).

And finally, what do you mean by "shooting this way" [is a bad idea]?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 14, 2019 at 3:29:33 pm

No, I mean, open up your aperature as far as you dare, so you have the highlights a tiny bit clipping or just below.
Do so on ANY shot you take, and bring it back in Resolve to your liking.

An 8 bit codec has (in theory) 256 values for each color.
Now, a typical nice shot of a sunset has red values from 200 in a gradient to 0
That is just 200 different colors of red. Your image is 1920 pixels wide. So worst case each color is repeated
1920 / 200 = about 10 times.
That is noticable. (AKA banding)
But, since you shoot your nice log, the number of color values are reduced, and poor Resolve has to calculate what 'should' be there.
Then it amplifies the compression artefacts...

a 10 bits codec can store 4 times more colors. (Each bit extra doubles the amount of values possible to store.)
Hence you definitely want that for this way of shooting.

I have no clue how that is called in your cam, or if it is even possible. look it up in the manual.
(I have had my fair share of footage this way in 8 bits, and I can tell you for sure, it sucks big time.)

Long story short, shoot both in log and normal, compare, see what you like best.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]