FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which bit depth does DaVinci Resolve grade in?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Juig
Which bit depth does DaVinci Resolve grade in?
on Jan 13, 2019 at 7:16:04 pm

Hello,

when grading in DaVinci resolve, the values on the scopes are displayed on the scale from 0 - 1023, meaning that colours are previewed as 10bit. Does DaVinci always previews colours this way?

If I for example import a clip that has 12 or 16 bit depth and the values on the scopes are still between 0 and 1023, does it mean that it downgrades footage to 10bit? I find this highly unlikely, so I presume that this 10bit values must only be for preview, while DaVinci treats colours in greater bit depth. Is there a specific value for the bit depth that DaVinci always uses?

Does DaVinci perhaps always use the bit depth of the clip with highest bit depth that is present on the timeline to grade all the clips on the timeline?

Best regards,

Juan

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Which bit depth does DaVinci Resolve grade in?
on Jan 13, 2019 at 7:54:31 pm

Processing is at 32 bit, unless using performance mode, when it is less (I think 16 bit) for playback only. All rendering processing for delivery is 32 bit unless I'm mistaken.

Return to posts index

Juan Juig
on Jan 13, 2019 at 10:44:42 pm

Thank you for your reply! Can anyone confirm for sure?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 14, 2019 at 10:00:10 am

Try to totallly crash a shot, (crush all blacks, flatten out all hightlights)
Then add a node, and bring it back. Normally, this would be impossible, but in Resolve this is no problem at all.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]