FORUMS: list search recent posts

project settings difficulties

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Christopher
project settings difficulties
on Jan 6, 2019 at 1:52:40 am
Last Edited By Terence Christopher on Jan 6, 2019 at 4:12:23 am

I am a new user having previously used Vegas. When I first started testing Da Vinci. I just plunged in not realising that I was automatically setting the Project Settings as well as the the Da Vinci master settings. The definitive guide that I am now working through also doesn't spell out the critical nature nor the names of these settings. My basic set up consists of a PC with 2 Tb of space and a NAS with plenty of disk space. The original settings for cache and etc put these storage areas in the middle of a project file. I now am trying to back out of this and to find rational place to put these. Setting I was advised to put some of these settings with each project, but at the present time I am not skilled in which project settings I need to change each time. especially with the introductory educational series. I have been experimenting with putting a media storage area at the root of my c drive but would that just fill up my C drive needlessly? What files do I need to create and where? I am making a mess and want to avoid this as I am accidentally beginning to misdirect the storage of my older projects.
Thanks
It occurred to me that possibly the problem might be relieved by the purchase of the full version of Da Vinci 15 , Is that the case or would the same problems arise? I realise that I do not know where Da Vinci stores the project files, and having the option of storing all of those files together would be helpful, especially if one knew which files could be discarded at the termination of the project. I also don't know which files need to be stored for the maintenance of the Da Vinci environment separate from individual project files nor whether I have to make decisions about them.

Return to posts index

Don Cobble
Re: project settings difficulties
on Jan 6, 2019 at 4:40:08 am

I moved from Vegas also you will (after a little learning curve) be glad

Paper Krane - he has some good basic intro stuff

PC 1
I7 7820K 3.6Ghz
16 GB Ram
SSD 850 Pro OS drive
2x 850 EVO Raid 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
WX 7100 8GB

PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
SSD 850 Pro OS drive
2x 850 EVO Raid 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
GTX 1080 8GB

IMAC Retina 5K 27in
4.Ghz i7 32gb Ram
AMD R9 M395X 4Mb
Mojave 10.14.1

S Vegas P 13 & Vegas P16 - Adobe Production Premium CS6 - Edius WG Pro 9 - Sony Catalyst Production Suite - FCPX 10.4.3 - DaVinchi Resolve Studio 15.2

Camera's
Sony EX1 shoot in 1920x1080 30P

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jan 6, 2019 at 5:47:43 am

Hi Thanks for your prompt response. The video was very clear and explicit. I watched the first two episodes, the first one set up the project and editing files It then followed on to Audio. However he did not mention where you place your cache or the input and output files etc. I got into this problem automatically as found the cache had been placed in an awkward folder and I didn't realise this until much later and I found that the cache was moving around and thought it should be placed in just one position (probably incorrectly) I also was not sure whether I should put these working files on my main hard drive or on my Network drives. I was concerned that putting them on the network drive might slow the processing of the videos (not knowing the critical bottlenecks that can occur.) Do you have any advice in that area? do you reset the cache with each project ?
Thanks
Terence

drives

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 6, 2019 at 6:07:21 pm
Last Edited By Glenn Sakatch on Jan 6, 2019 at 6:15:37 pm

You have thrown me a bit with the statement that your cache files are being put in the Middle of a project file.

All of Resolves settings are access through two different preference areas. The gear box in the bottom right, and the preferences tab under the Davinci Resolve drop down (top left)

By default i believe your cache files are directed to the root of the first drive listed in your media pool. You can rearrange these drives and the order of these drives be going to your top left preferences, look for media storage, remove the drives that are there, and then add them back in...in the order you want them to appear. You can also add folders/subfolders if you want Resolve to only look at certain areas of drives.

If you want to change the default area that cache files go, then go to your gear wheel, and look under "master Settings"
near the bottom you will see working folders, which is where you can redirect your cache files and stills files locations.
Directly above this setting, you can set your optimized media and cache media codec type, which defaults to uncompressed, and is quite often too large for many users computers to work with, so you might want to drop those down to a more friendly codec.

I would not send your cache files to the C drive. I wouldn't send anything from any NLE to the c drive...leave it for the OS and use other storage for everything else.

What you really need to be aware of is Resolves timeline frame rate. This can't be changed after you have created a timeline and added footage, so that is the main item you should check at the start of the project. Your Raster settings can be changed at anytime, but the base framerate for the timeline is pretty much set in stone once you get going.

From a saved settings standpoint, you can setup Resolve to start with the same frame rate each time, by setting your project the way you want, then going to the presets tab under the gear icon...right click on the current project preset, and save as user default config. You can also do a save as, and create presets for any amount/combination of project settings you can think of. Do some experimenting here. Many of us set this to a base build, and work from there.

I personally work from a 23.976 hd 1080 project, and then (if it's actually a UHD project) switch to UHD before i do my final rendering). If i need to do a broadcast (NTSC) version, i usually output a 23.976 master, and then convert that to 59.94 on a secondary pass. Years ago we used to follow the rule of getting to the final output frame rate as soon as possible, now i stay at the (main) shoot framerate as long as possible.

I should add, Resolve Studio vs Resolve shouldn't make any difference in these settings.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jan 7, 2019 at 12:58:29 am

Glenn Thank for your reply.. I did not even know about the Gear Wheel as I had always been looking at the preferences list. That might be my main problem.. I was using the C drive out of desperation to find a central and reliable setting. When I look at the entries they are all labelled with an unreadable code and I wonder whether they would be messed up if I put them into one folder. When you say that there is a root of the media pool does that mean that all media for all projects are stored in one pool Should one separate the caches for different projects into separate folders in this root file or is that done automatically? Can I move the various caches safely? This sort of information is critical for setting up my system but is not spelled out anywhere I could find. Are there any other critical files eg input and output files( I suppose) that I should know about. The whole system is just a black box to me and the organisation is much like my car which I have to leave to the dealer to understand. Is this something that would be solved by purchasing it. This would be wonderfully different from every other programme I have ever purchased as support is usually pitiful.
I would also like to thank Don Cobble for his help which I really appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mike Harper
on Jan 7, 2019 at 3:11:16 am

Terence just a though always EXPORT your project file and import when changing directories. use the app to make changes don't move project files the way you would in lets sat Avid. resolve uses its own database for projects.

Mike Harper
http://www.editscore.com/
http://editscore.sourceaudio.com

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jan 7, 2019 at 4:08:18 am

Thanks Mike can I export just the cache which I want to be in a different central place. Could I just move the cache from within the Project or should I create a new project with the desired location of the cach and then export to it.
Sorry about all of these questions, Ihave not yet use Export and don't want to foul things up any more than I have
Terence

Return to posts index

Mike Harper
on Jan 7, 2019 at 5:18:56 am

Depends: just think of the export as a way to safely move the project from system to system( or database to database) but you may need to relink media. This is also a good simple project backup method.
once in the new system ( import) you can then create a new directory from you cache.( project settings.. master settings.. cache location
this Ideally should be on a fast NON OS partition or drive.
You can also Archive the project this will give you the option to same all of the media into one folder structure then do a "restore archive project. Again once restored you can reset the cache directories.( project window right click)
if in doubt first do it on a test project.
hope this helps

Mike Harper
http://www.editscore.com/
http://editscore.sourceaudio.com

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jan 7, 2019 at 5:33:00 pm

Hi Mike, Thanks for your new information. I see it is not just moving to another files. I will have to learn about this in more detail and will study it. It sounds as though this is the way to go as I need to get all of my cache files collected.
Thanks for your timely advice

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 8, 2019 at 8:39:22 pm

I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding of how the media works in Resolve. You are asking about the media pool, and how it is controlled, if everything is thrown into one big pile. Resolve is simply reading the media from where you have it stored. It is not copying it anywhere. You don't really have to manage your media location from within Resolve, other than making the drives accessible.

The cache's are a bit of a different story. What is your typical workflow? I'm trying to understand why you are so concerned with managing the files inside your cache folders.

Personally, i treat cache files as disposable items. I create and use them if needed to help with playback, but go back to camera origs. for final outputs. Other than ensuring my cache drive hasn't filled to capacity, i really don't give it a second thought as to how it is organized. Resolve knows where they are, and that is all that matters to me. If i delete them and need them recreated again, i recreate them.

If you are doing a ton of optimized media creation at the start of the project, you probably don't want to have to recreate them later on, but again, not really sure you need to access the raw cache files for anything during a typical color session.

Again, maybe describing your usual workflow would help.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jan 8, 2019 at 9:42:37 pm

I apologise for the confusion . I have been addressing two things. 1) how to move my cache files into on place.. and away from the C drive and elsewhere to a Cache file located on my video storage drive. 2) The previous question of where this Cache should be which you clarified for me earlier. The actual structure of the cache file whether each new project should be given a subfolder in the cache file is still a problem for me as I don't know how I could identify and do garbage collection when a project is finished. Should the project be deleted when finished or just left in the file for future possible use?
My work flow is as follows. I have been accumulating videos over decades on various cameras and formats and I am now trying to clean them up and put them on a central file system. I have 10Tb of data on a Raid 6 system based on 10 Tb drives. IN addition I am adding videos I am taking on a 4K camera. These are all personal videos and not commercial ones. Currently I am working on 7 years of HD movies taken in M2t from a Sony camera in clips which I am converting to MP4 H264 for long term utility. The camera had a white balance problem so I have to correct that as well as cleaning up and editing the footage. I want to leave it all in a useful state for further editing and production if necessary. I have also to edit the sound as many settings locations were difficult and on the fly while I lacked expertise and equipment.
So it is all very simple but time consuming and needs to be neatly organised. I previously use Vegas which had many great features, but I was too busy to learn it and found the features were difficult to use as I had variations of needs both between clips and over clips and it gave little verification of the effects as they were accumulated and was oriented towards creating video discs with no guidance about encoding formats etc.
I hope I have not been too verbose, I am unsuccessfully trying to be concise
Thanks

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jan 9, 2019 at 2:35:29 am

P.S. As an unrelated question. I have a PC and I am trying to download Resolve 15.2 from the Black Magic web site, however they send me a Linux zip file.My original 15.O is running on my PC I don't know how to correctwhat seems to be a mistake.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jan 9, 2019 at 6:42:34 am

P.S. As an unrelated question. I have a PC and I am trying to download Resolve 15.2 from the Black Magic web site, however they send me a Linux zip file.My original 15.O is running on my PC with Windows OS I don't know how to correct what seems to be a mistake as the web site recognised me and immedIately sent me this. My NAS is running on Linux don't know whether this had any influence it seems only remotely possible

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jan 11, 2019 at 7:46:18 am

I WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR THE HELP I HAVE RECEIVED IT HAS CLARIFIED THE STRUCTURE AND METHODS OF DA v 15 AND THINGS ARE GOING SMOOTHLY NOW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]