FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware device question

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
Hardware device question
on Dec 26, 2018 at 2:48:20 am

I'm placing my tower under my desk but would like access to its ports on top of my desktop.
The tower has 6 USB 3.1, 4 display ports, 2 HDMI ports.
I would like to connect each of these to a box and from the front of the box I would connect what ever I need too.

Does anyone know where I can get such a device?

Thank You

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Hardware device question
on Dec 26, 2018 at 8:51:47 am

USB 3.1 hubs are out there, but not so much for Display Port or HDMI.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Dec 26, 2018 at 2:48:22 pm

Thank you Marc but it's not a normal hub. Hubs take one input out put to various inputs. I need a hub that i can plug in various inputs on the rear of the box and have the same number of inputs on the front. If not I would need 6 hubs for the usb's. Its kind of like a router but for pc peripherals

I guess it doesn't exist.

Thank you

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 26, 2018 at 4:31:03 pm

If you really need access to "everything" on your desktop, then you would have to build your own. It wouldn't be impossible, run cables to a new component case with male/female ends installed. I would ask if you really need access to two HDMI's and 4 displayports on your desktop. What are you plugging in and unplugging so often to these devices? I run a couple of usb3 exentions up to my desktop and use a big binder clip to hold it in place. (clamp to the destop and run the cable end through the metal handle. A 2 dollar solution that works just fine. Personally, once my hdmi's are hooked up, they never get a second thought from me.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Dec 27, 2018 at 7:56:51 pm

I want to de clutter my desk and would like the convenience of plugging without having to go under my desk. Its not easy when you are very much above you twenties. I don't want multiple hub boxes on my desktop just a box with multi USB 3 from multi usb and USB c-1. ports.

Thank
Ric Marty

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Dec 27, 2018 at 7:59:17 pm

Glenn can you tell me where do I get the elements to build one.

Thank You.

Ric Marty

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 28, 2018 at 12:35:48 am

I used to get them from radio shack....all you need is a box...metal or plastic...for components...again Radio Shack used to sell them. They are no longer in Canada...not sure where you are..but they still list project enclosures on their website. I think Home depot up here sells some of these, as would any real "electronics" shop. (a place that sells capacitors and solder irons and the like.

You will have to use your imagination, as the item you are asking for doesn't exist. You are basically trying to move the mother board connections up to your desktop, without rebuilding the motherboard...so the easy way would be to build a patch panel

Again, you should be able to run USB extensions from the tower into the back of the component box, and plug them into a female to male coupler...available at many computer shops, and the with some thought, secure that coupler so that the open end is accessible on the front of the enclosure. The higher your skill level at some basic engineering...the more professional it will look.

I once built a box with all sort of rca connections in it this way to create composite video input box, that then was wired into my capture card. You could also wire HDMI into it easily enough. I have my basement wired for Ethernet, HDMI and speaker wire...all accessible through 1 central plug in port, planted in the wall behind the tv, with the other end of the plugs on the other side of the room, with the wiring run through the ceiling. All done with parts from Home depot.
Use your imagination, as the actual wiring would be that hard for a somple patch panel like this...that is really all you are building is a patch panel.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 26, 2018 at 8:20:25 pm

Sounds like another tower if you need all of those distribution methods, at least from one device.

Be aware that not all fanout devices can support any and all peripherals -- it's a power supply thing. For example, afull complement of Element control surfaces might overwhelm your average USB hub, and definitely if you also added a mouse/keyboard, external drive, maybe your Resolve dongle... expect brown-outs.

A couple of years ago, there was an "industrial" USB box offered by Startech -- no power supply. The user was tasked to calculate the overall power draw and wire in an adequate wall adapter. the usual suspects can supply about 2.5 watts at nominal 5.5 volts. If you are not aware of the relationship V*A=W, you will have to trust the brochures.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Dec 27, 2018 at 8:02:10 pm

Joseph Thank you I'm aware of the issue you post, that's why I want each port on my computer connected to a one port on the desktop box.

Thank you

Ric marty

Return to posts index

richard mazikowski
on Dec 27, 2018 at 7:18:58 pm

There are mounts that allow you to attach the computer to the underside of the desk, essentially hanging down from underneath. If you mount it with the front facing backwards you would have access to everything.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Dec 27, 2018 at 8:05:21 pm

My tower computer also has ports on the front, they are easy access for me. and are being used.

Thanks you

Ricardo arty

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 28, 2018 at 12:24:12 am

My computers are in the room next door and I just run extension cables into the studio. However if I need access to the computers they are in a rack unit and easy to access spare ports. USB 3.1 or c extension cables might be the best bet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]