FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unusable on 4K monitors (Windows 10)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Williams
Unusable on 4K monitors (Windows 10)
on Dec 8, 2018 at 7:12:14 pm

I've been searching for an answer to this question with every new release of Resolve but still can't find any.
It seems BMD don't even won't to address it.
But Resolve is basically unusable on any HDPI display on windows 10. You either have an interface that is scaled up to comic proportions and or one that is blurry and pixelated.
Is anyone successfully using this on Windows 10 with a 4K monitor?
I've tried to get answers from BMD on when they are planning on fixing this but so far nothing.
It's been an issue since at least Resolve 12.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: Unusable on 4K monitors (Windows 10)
on Dec 9, 2018 at 11:49:50 am

I use a 43" Samsung 4K HDTV with no problem. It's not top of the line, it's not a monitor, maybe yours is professional grade, all I can tell you is mine 4K tv, works fine. Usually when BM doesn't respond its because you're the only one with the problem. And please understand I'm not being snarky or a wiseass. Does your monitor behave otherwise? With other apps, etc?

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 15.2

Return to posts index

Josh Williams
on Dec 9, 2018 at 7:02:35 pm

lol, sorry no. A TV is not the same as a 4K HDPI monitor and it is a big problem. You can search the BMD forums, there are Youtube videos about it even. BMD just refuses to correct the scaling issue that resolve has with Windows 10 and High DPI monitors.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 9, 2018 at 10:23:38 pm

Sorry, bro. Just trying to help.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 15.2

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
Re: Unusable on 4K monitors (Windows 10)--change the display settings via the Properties for the application
on Dec 10, 2018 at 4:31:19 am

As you have no doubt found, with the Creator update MS now limits display options to 25% increments in Display settings (via the context menu for the Desktop).

Other than that, the only other method seems to be to change the display via the Properties for the application. That is, the context menu for, say, Resolve or Fusion.

Right click on the Desktop icon/Properties/Compatibility/Change high DPI settings.

You will find a couple of less-than-obvious options (e.g., "Use the DPI that's set for my main display when ... ," and, "High DPI scaling override ...").

This will surely require multiple log off/on cycles to experiment with various guesses for a workable setting. With this approach your Display settings page will then show that you are using a "Custom" display setting.

I agree that some Resolve and Fusion dialog text can be microscopic and making those legible may result in too-large text elsewhere.

One clue to watch for is the startup splash screen for Resolve or Fusion: the smaller text used there is a clue as to the eventual text size when it completes its startup.

Good luck!
Mike

Return to posts index

Josh Williams
Re: Unusable on 4K monitors (Windows 10)--change the display settings via the Properties for the application
on Dec 10, 2018 at 4:43:20 am

Thanks Michael,

that appears to be the only workaround people have found for this issue. I played around with the scaling override settings and change my monitor resolution and you can get it to work pretty well (ohh so close) but you either have to settle for microscopic text and menus or pixelated text and menus. It's just frustrating at this point mostly. Would love to be able to ditch Adobe at some point in the future and Resolve keeps getting better and better but this one issue keeps me from diving all in with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]