FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setup of Resolve 15

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Christopher
Setup of Resolve 15
on Dec 3, 2018 at 8:01:31 pm

I am new to Da Vinci Resolve. I initially downloaded and started using it. However now find that I have to use different drives to store the projects. This is causing headaches as I don't know where to direct the project file system.
Thus I find that the project sever will not run and sends an error message that it cant find a PostgreSQL intallation on my machine, However the solution is to run the installer again and select this. However the free installation does not provide this option. So perhaps this is not available? However when running the resolve the project needs a new location for its cache a new capture path etc I could provide a file location on my hard drive, but should this instead be associated with the project files wherever they are stored. Similarly with input and output from resolve. I do not want to have things separated if they should be together. So I guess my question is how should I organise my files ?
I expect that I will eventually buy the commercial version of resolve though I work alone and do not expect the need for collaborative organisation but might need the additional functional features like this problem
Thanks

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Setup of Resolve 15
on Dec 3, 2018 at 8:29:24 pm

Like many of us did in our early stages of Resolve, you are probably thinking you need to save the project somewhere specific where you can later retrieve it...move it to a backup location, or something like that. You don't need to think this way with Resolve.

If you want to use the traditional database system, it will be installed on your system drive (unless you want to get into a different server, which i doubt you do at this stage). Find some tutorials on this, and let it do its thing. Don't over think it, don't try to put it someplace special...let it do its thing.

Or you can setup a disk database, and use that instead of the traditional database system. Same rules apply. Let it do its thing. Don't direct it to an external drive, or anything like that. Let it setup in its default location.

When you are done your project, export your project as a DRP file from within Resolve. This can easily be copied to where ever you like, and archived, and restored (sans media) and opened on another box in the future.

The database stays where it is...and yes it should be backed up and cleaned off and all that, but I think you are thinking in terms of a traditional NLE "where is my project saved" situation, but that isn't really how Resolve works.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Dec 4, 2018 at 12:59:35 am

Glen Thanks for your reply.. I actually did what you were suggesting when I started and plunged into editing an hour long scene that I was under pressure to finish quickly. I have a NAS and was saving all of my work on files on that. However The NAS has had to be returned under warranty as the HDMI ports were not working properly and I am now switching to going through the Davinci Guide to learn it properly. However it now is acting up as all of its files were stored on the NAS and I am having to decide where to locate the the various files needed by the projects.. Whether in the Davinci folder or elsewhere. Not know what the cache does nor how big it gets nor where it should be, I thought I should be rational about this and ask higher authority.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 4, 2018 at 2:03:52 am

Ok, I thought I misread your original post, but I'm not sure I have. You mentioned using different drives to store your projects, so I assumed you were talking about the database, but you might be confusing the location of the project with the media used to build a project. Two different things.

As far as organization goes, yes, that is up to you to keep a proper structure and layout for your media. Camera files, graphic files, audio files, lists, documents, all sorts of things can go through your fingers as you work on this thing, but the actual project is safely tucked inside the database that you chose when your installed Resolve. You shouldn't need to re-install Resolve because you sent your NAS back...unless you used a disk database installed on the NAS, but again that goes to my original point about letting Resolve take care of the database, and you take care of organizing the structure of your media folders on the NAS. Constantly working from external plug n play drives is always going to be harder than a permanent storage location.

You asked how you should organize your files, and you will hear probably hear a different idea from anyone who responds. It is totally up to you, but you need to be organized, and strict with yourself that you follow the organization you set out.

For what it is worth, here is my layout.

I have 3 permanent storage locations attached to my system. 1 via thunderbolt, 2 via 10g.
On those locations are folders called "Current Projects" Inside Current Projects is a folder called "Template" Inside Template is a folder structure of Audio In, Audio Out, Graphics, Master Outputs, Fusion, Project files,Supplied footage, Stock, Camera originals, Approvals, Lists, Documentation. There are probably a few i've forgotten about.

At the start of the project, you copy and paste Template, and rename it according the project you are working on.
I use this structure for both Avid and Resolve. Some folders are used more for one than the other.

Folders get used as audio comes in or out of my box. Graphics is typically for items suppled by an external artist, or items i've created in photoshop or the like.
Fusion is for fusion comps and the files that are created along the way. (fusion connect clips) I don't use 15 or the fusion tab, i use the stand alone Fusion studio, so quite often render out dpx sequences from Avid or Resolve and load them in Fusion.

Supplied footage is for items the client has sent saying "use this clip from an old project we did"
Stock holds both the original proxy files, as well as the final purchased items

Project files is where i place the DRP or Avid project backups at the end of the process, which then gets archived along with most of these other folders. This way when I restore the project, i put everything back in its original location very easily. If i'm unsure where i originally had the media, i can load up resolve, restore the project, and look at any bin in the project. It will tell me where it is expecting to find the media. In my case, either the G, Q or U drive.

If I don't have room on that drive in the future, i put my folder structure on a different drive, and point Resolve to the root of that folder, and it will easily relink everything, because it doesn't have to go searching all over the place for every little file. They are all right here inside this main folder.

Camera originals is the only item that kinda gets put to LTO on a project by project basis. Depends how much footage, and whether or not the client is paying for me to back it up.

It the old days, i would have all camera media on the fast storage drives, and everything else on a smaller internal drive, but with the size of files and such, it has become easier to put it all together on the storage location.

The cache catches a lot of people. I have a set of SSDs in my storage formatted and named Cache. This is then mounted into both my systems, (Y drive on windows and Volumes/Cache on mac) Both machines have been told to use that partition for all caches. Set it up once and then it is good to go. No need to move the cache location around, or have Resolve give you the error saying "can't find cache" This is one of the obstacles of using external drives that are alway changing.

If you are going to do it, i suggest you continue down the road of your NAS, find a good system for that, and avoid externals as much as possible. For me, externals supplied by the client get plugged in, copied to my storage, and then get unplugged, and sit as backup incase anything happens.

Again, others will all have other methods, but as long as they keep you organized, many methods will work.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Dec 4, 2018 at 4:13:06 am

That is fascinating. I assume that the template consists of all of the containers that you outlined including the output. Could that be achieved by the Da Vinci project server? My needs are much less professional than yours, but the clean organisation sounds very interesting and useful in the long term for subsequent utilisation. Did you create a master template that you subsequently copy If so . Do you need generic titles for these in order to provide the loci for the project manager to reference In which case where do you create the reference to the actual subject title and how do you prevent Da Vinci from confusing them and accidentally cross referencing projects?
I apologise for asking these questions, but I will start playing with your suggestions to see whether I can get them to work.
Thanks indeed for being so specific.
Terence

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 4, 2018 at 4:27:13 am

You are over thinking it...Sometimes it is the simple approach....the "template" I am speaking of is a series of folders I made at the explorer level.

Copy and paste the outside folder, and rename it. everything inside remains the same. It is a simple way to stay organized. As i said, i use the same "template" for both Avid and Resolve projects. It has nothing to do with the project server.

You might not be doing professional projects...yet...but the organization will serve you well.

Glenn

Glenn

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Dec 4, 2018 at 4:26:42 am

That is fascinating. I assume that the template consists of all of the containers that you outlined including the output. Could that be achieved by the Da Vinci project server? My needs are much less professional than yours, but the clean organisation sounds very interesting and useful in the long term for subsequent utilisation. Did you create a master template that you subsequently copy If so . Do you need generic titles for these in order to provide the loci for the project manager to reference In which case where do you create the reference to the actual subject title and how do you prevent Da Vinci from confusing them and accidentally cross referencing projects?
I apologise for asking these questions, but I will start playing with your suggestion to see whether I can get it to work.
Thanks indeed for being so specific.
P.S. I have a QNAP with 30 Tb of storage which will be good for a long time though I am recording in 4K, however it could add additional stores if necessary and is capable of supporting Thunderbolt. Currently as a single user I am hoping that 1 gigabit Ethernet will suffice.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Dec 5, 2018 at 5:24:13 am

I am now beginning to understand my problem The cache pointer is continuing to point to a non existent drive on my NAS
When browse to find my new cache file which I have placed on the C drive immediately after my User Title , i find that there are three possible sites listed. The top one is the old address on the NAS. The next one is the C drive. So I have been clicking on that and navigating to the Cache. I have then clicked the save button, however as the window shuts down the system immediately replaces it with the old non functioning address. I suppose the system goes to find the top entry so I need to change the order of the addresses. However I can't seem to do that. nor delete any of the options. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]