Release of 15.2.1
We are pleased to announce the release of DaVinci Resolve 15.2.1.
This is a no charge update to all existing customers and does not require a database update so is simple to download and install. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion
We would like to thank everyone who provides feedback on issues they find especially those who use the automated crash reporting tool that's in DaVinci Resolve.
For customers on much older versions of DaVinci Resolve, please back up your database, export a drp for any active projects and plan an upgrading to this version.
What's new in DaVinci Resolve 15.2.1
• Addressed an issue where rendering to the MXF OP1A format would cause a crash or generate a corrupt file
• Addressed an issue where opening projects using the context menu would sometimes cause a crash
• Addressed an issue where the dynamic project switching option would reflect an incorrect state across application restarts
• Addressed an issue where switching databases when working on a collaboration project would sometimes cause an application hang
• Addressed an issue with creating a new multicam or compound clip in a project with drop frame enabled
• Addressed an issue where adding a folder containing subtitle files to the media pool would cause a crash
• Addressed an issue where deleting a clip with retime controls enabled would cause a crash in the Edit page
• Addressed an issue where the duplicate clip action would not work when Fusion compositions were selected
• Addressed an issue where audio in rendered QuickTime clips would be incorrectly tagged as dual mono instead of stereo on Windows and Linux
• Addressed an issue with color space and gamma tagging when rendering to XAVC
• Addressed an issue where the highlights in certain Canon raw clips would have a purple tint
• Addressed an issue where switching monitor scaling mode would have no effect on Media and Edit pages
• Addressed an issue with keyboard shortcuts to switch the viewer between source and timeline when in single viewer mode
• Addressed an issue where performing a match frame on the timeline viewer would not switch focus to the source viewer
• Addressed an issue where keyboard shortcuts for Go to In or Out actions would not work when the Edit timeline was in focus
• Addressed an issue where keyboard shortcuts for Import Media would not work when starting a new project
• Addressed an issue where assigning shortcuts to switch to A or C mode sort would not work
• Addressed an issue where deleting a remote version would sometimes switch other clips using the same remote version to local
• Addressed an issue where using enhanced optical flow modes would sometimes cause artifacts during playback
• Addressed an issue where playing back some DPX 10-bit images would show artifacts in the Color page
• Addressed an issue where performing select all after clicking on a clip thumbnail in the Color page would not select all the clips
• Addressed an issue where creating a new Fusion composition in the media pool would cause a crash when Resolve is set to certain languages
• Addressed an issue where transform tools would show an offset when previewing clip proxies in the Fusion page
• Addressed an issue where setting the soft edge of the mask tool to fast gaussian would produce incorrect results
• Addressed an issue where changing the viewer gain or gamma values would not work when drawing a polygon shape in the Fusion page
• Addressed an issue with audio artifacts when previewing sections of audio clips with FairlightFX or audio plugins applied
• Addressed an issue with audio discontinuity when the bypass state is toggled for FairlightFX with latency
• Addressed an issue where inserting an audio clip past another clip with crossfades would sometimes add a crossfade to the new clip
• Addressed an issue where opening the Aux dialog and deleting Aux buses would cause a crash
• Addressed an issue where track formats for nested timeline buses would sometimes not be loaded correctly on the Fairlight page
• Addressed an issue where the fade to playhead actions would not work correctly in the Fairlight page on macOS and Linux
• Addressed an issue where dragging the playhead to the start of the Fairlight timeline would not work correctly when audio scrubbing was enabled
• Addressed an issue where markers would not be shown in the Fairlight index in thumbnail mode
• Addressed an issue where the mark clip action would not work correctly in the Fairlight page
• Addressed an issue where rendering long multi-channel WAV files would sometimes produce incomplete clips
• Addressed an issue where installing the Fairlight Studio Utility would restart the system without prompting the user
• Addressed an issue when handling certain controls in Tangent Elements panels
• Addressed an issue where performing reconform from bins would sometimes cause a crash
• General performance and stability improvements
Minimum system requirements
• macOS 10.12.6 Sierra
• 16 GB of system memory is recommended and 32 GB is recommended minimum when using Fusion
• Blackmagic Design Desktop Video version 10.4.1 or later
• CUDA Driver version 8.0.63
• NVIDIA Driver version – As required by your GPU
• RED Rocket-X Driver 18.104.22.168 and Firmware 22.214.171.124 or later
• RED Rocket Driver 126.96.36.199 and Firmware 188.8.131.52 or later
Upgrading your PostgreSQL database server on Mac
Until DaVinci Resolve 12.5.2, the Mac installer used to ship with PostgreSQL version 8.4.2. Starting from macOS Sierra 10.12, PostgreSQL version 8.4 is no longer supported. If you intend to upgrade to the latest OS, you will need to upgrade your PostgreSQL database server to version 9.5.4 prior to upgrading macOS. Once your PostgreSQL installation has been upgraded and your data has been ported, you can then proceed with your macOS upgrade.
We have provided apps to simplify upgrading your PostgreSQL version on your Mac. The apps along with instructions can be found in the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Upgrade PostgreSQL folder.
Starting from DaVinci Resolve 12.5.3, new installations will include PostgreSQL version 9.5.4.
Installing DaVinci Resolve Software
Double-click the Resolve Installer icon, follow the onscreen instructions and then restart the computer after installation.
To remove DaVinci Resolve from your system, double-click the Uninstall Resolve icon.
Please refer to the latest DaVinci Resolve Configuration Guide for details on Mac OS X support, including certified driver versions for third party hardware. It is available from http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/.
You will also need to download and install the latest Blackmagic Design Desktop Video software for monitoring with your Blackmagic Design video hardware. Desktop Video is available from http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/.
Thanks for your notice. Do I have to uninstall Resolve 14 to install Resolve 15?
When you say "the database does not require an update," does that mean that project files will be accessible through either Resolve 15 or Resolve 14?
Can I reinstall Resolve 14 if there is a problem with Resolve 15?
Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City
I'm pretty sure the "does not require a database update" would be only if coming from 15.2.0
If you are going from 14 to 15 you are probably going to need to update the database. (after backing it up ofcourse)
You can not easiy switch projects back and forth from 14 to 15. Well documented all over these forums.
I am Jonathan and I am new to Resolve. I recently encountered this problem which causes me a inconvenience
First I open DaVinci Resolve15 (latest version) with a hardisk connected, I launch it but after loading stuffs, it didnt come out, I disconnected
the hardisk and then launch, it worked this time. I connected the hardisk again and try to create a new database on my hardisk, it popped up
critical exception after I had created, I chose save project and continue, the app quitted. Later
I relaunched the app again, there's a update sign for the new database, I pressed, it said successfully updated, but I could not create project within that database or anything, It had the button but it's like locked button un-press able. I have no idea of what happened and what should I do to stop this happen.
Have a nice day
Your database should remain on a permanently connected disk. Like the system disk.
I suggest removing all temporary drives so there is just the internal drives.
Run 15.2.1 when it starts in the project manager create a new database on the system drive, call it v15-2dec18
Now only use that database.
Start a new project and add a clip to the timeline, save the project as test1. Close Resolve. Restart the computer and start Resolve to check that that project opens and plays.
If so, then connect your external drive and make a new project with those clips.
I have used Resolve free version 14 just every now and then to learn it, have now the newest free version and it crashes so badly that when I open it, can see the program surface but a click on new project shuts my laptop complete down. Have to restart the computer several times as it crashes again even when it just loads the system Windows 10 Home x64, version 1803.
Graphic drivers of the Intel card is the newest as well as for the NVIDIA GTX 970M, the laptop is Acer Predator G9-792, my other video editing program Vegas Pro15 workes fine, actually everthing else workes fine.
Don't know what to do to work with Resolve again, hope you can help.
Maybe go back to version 12 - your laptop is to slow for Davinci Resolve 15 !