FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicate Timeline?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Sanderson
Duplicate Timeline?
on Nov 17, 2018 at 7:20:26 am

There must be a way to do this, I just can't find it. Resolve 15.2>right click on timeline in timeline bin>timeline>duplicate timeline is no longer an option. Tried right click on timeline>create new timeline using selected clips and got gobledygook.

Jim

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: Duplicate Timeline?
on Nov 17, 2018 at 8:49:59 am

I believe it is now in the Edit menu.

Dmitry Kitsov,
Blackmagic Design technical support agent

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Nov 17, 2018 at 9:39:24 am
Last Edited By Declan Smith on Nov 17, 2018 at 9:58:03 am

I can't find that option in the edit menu.

[Edit] It's called duplicate clip. Also, CMD+C CMD+V on a selected timeline will duplicate it.

[From my original post, below now is unrelated, but interesting to note all the same]

The only thing I could do was right click -> create timeline from clip. This creates a new timeline with a werid named clip, but looked like my original content and resembles a compound clip.

Sure enough, in the new timeline, right click and "decompose in place" expands all the original content, almost like duplicating a timeline except all the Audio channels and track names are defaulted to Video 1 Video 2 Audio 1 Audio 2 etc (or names to that effect) and any sub mixes on the original timeline are completely lost (not available on the fairlight) page.

Interestingly, to see the situation about sub mixes I went back to resolve and did the whole thing above again, and got slightly different results with naming (i.e. gobbledegook). The hard disk was in overdrive access, playback was activated but did nothing, arrow tool selected but the mouse pointer was ']'.

The duplicate timeline function is a fundamental workflow option, I use it all the time.

[ Still using 15.2 :) ]

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
Davinci Resolve / FCPX / Adobe CS6 / FCS3 / Zoom F8 / Roland R26 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason 10 / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Jim Sanderson
on Nov 17, 2018 at 4:30:25 pm

Thanks for the informative response. Hmm. Pretty simple but I didn't think to do it. So; Cmd A> Cmd C> Cmd N> Cmd V works just fine or Edit>duplicate clip.

Return to posts index

Jim Sanderson
on Nov 17, 2018 at 5:05:59 pm

I just figured out that if you click in the preview window, then in the Edit menu the correct choice is "duplicate clip". If, however, you click in the timeline and go to the Edit menu, "duplicate clip" is replaced by "duplicate timeline", which appears to work just the same. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not an individual clip is selected in either scenario.

Jim

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 18, 2018 at 3:40:10 am

I have to say, this is a UI change I don't like. I generally don't mind when they add a feature, but I do object when they *remove* features. I would rather they restore the right-click contextual menu that has the Duplicate Timeline function, and ALSO provide the ability to duplicate clips or timelines in the Edit pulldown menu.

Cut-and-paste has been very dodgy for me throughout 15.2, particularly with nodes. Sometimes it works... sometimes it "forgets" what's in the clipboard. Very disconcerting.

Return to posts index

richard mazikowski
on Nov 18, 2018 at 6:43:35 pm

I agree with Marc Wielage on this. Why delete a common feature like this. I don't think you would instinctively know to replace duplicate timeline with cut and paste commands. This should be added back in.

Return to posts index

Jim Sanderson
on Nov 18, 2018 at 6:46:46 pm

It is, it's just in the edit menu now.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 18, 2018 at 9:32:29 pm

I want it back where it was behaving as it should. I was helping a friend finish her show and it drove me nuts not having such a basic feature. Copy paste was also weird causing a crash. I put it down to being on Mac not Win but clearly they have removed something I need on every job.

I figured out the work around with the compound clip but I just want to make a duplicate timeline with one click.

Return to posts index

Robert Manning
on Nov 23, 2018 at 11:41:43 pm

The other problem with removing this feature is that it adds time to the process. The copy and paste does indeed work, sometimes; and the 'sometimes' is the problem. Also, the older method immediately put you into the duplicated timeline. The new method does not. You have to copy, then paste and then select the copied timeline. ALSO, the current user manual doesn't have the new duplicate timeline changes.

Not a well thought out change.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Nov 27, 2018 at 3:17:01 am

Agreed with everyone's frustrations above. I can't imagine the motivation for this.

Should be drop dead simple and have a few ways of doing it... e.g. right clicking on a timeline should show "Duplicate timeline"... in addition there should be obvious options to Duplicate Timeline in the dropdown menus.

It's hard to imagine this was intentional to make something so basic confusing... Perhaps its just a UX bug that slipped through the cracks with 15.2 which was a big overhaul for various UI elements.

best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]