FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 15 Choppy Playback (Mainly CinemaDNG) on Windows 10 Upgrade From Windows 8.1

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Ellis
Resolve 15 Choppy Playback (Mainly CinemaDNG) on Windows 10 Upgrade From Windows 8.1
on Oct 15, 2018 at 3:25:28 pm

Hey guys,

So I've just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 due to the inability to render out 4k h264 in 8.1 - I've got the Pocket Cinema Camera 4k on the way and it's something I'd like to have the option for!

All Windows 10 updates are sorted, graphics drivers updated, etc, etc. However on loading up Resolve 15 (which is the latest update 15.1.1) I've found that playback has suddenly become choppy, whereas it wasn't at all before I upgraded the OS. I've tinkered with playback settings but nothing seems to be helping - considering all my settings are the same as they were before I upgraded I should think it would still be fine. It seems to stutter and not play properly and take about 3-4 seconds to reach 24 frames and even then it's still choppy and unviewable.

This is mainly 1080p and 2.5k CinemaDNG files but I've thrown some DNxHD, Pro Res and H264 in and they seem to start with a stutter before playing properly, which didn't happen before.

My system:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)
Intel i7-3820 3.60GHZ
16GB Ram
Geforce GTX 660

I know my graphics card isn't the greatest in the world but as stated, before the update to Windows 10 everything was playing perfectly!

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this as I use Resolve for work and am becoming quite frustrated by it 😃

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: Resolve 15 Choppy Playback (Mainly CinemaDNG) on Windows 10 Upgrade From Windows 8.1
on Oct 15, 2018 at 7:36:10 pm

First thing that stands out, to me, is that you're not on the latest update to win 10-64.

Return to posts index

Rob Ellis
Re: Resolve 15 Choppy Playback (Mainly CinemaDNG) on Windows 10 Upgrade From Windows 8.1
on Oct 15, 2018 at 11:06:15 pm

Have updated through Windows Update previously and checking for updates just returns a "You're up to date" message, so I'm not sure if there's another way to get the update?

Return to posts index

Rob Ellis
on Oct 16, 2018 at 12:04:54 am

Just double checked - my update history is showing version 1803 has been installed. However, DirectX Diagnostic tool and the About Windows dialog box are both showing 17134. Odd...

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 16, 2018 at 3:47:01 am

[Rob Ellis] "I've found that playback has suddenly become choppy, whereas it wasn't at all before I upgraded the OS. I've tinkered with playback settings but nothing seems to be helping - considering all my settings are the same as they were before I upgraded I should think it would still be fine. It seems to stutter and not play properly and take about 3-4 seconds to reach 24 frames and even then it's still choppy and unviewable."
Heftier hardware would help. As a workaround, what happens if you turn on optimized media? I bet this could help a lot.

Return to posts index

Rob Ellis
on Oct 16, 2018 at 11:22:47 am

Thanks!

Have tried various formats with optimized media and playback is still the same. I'm a bit stumped!

Is there any reason why my setup was working perfectly for the last 3 or 4 years with 8.1 and now with 10 it isn't? Is it just a case of having Windows 10 thrown in the mix and it's making things more demanding?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 16, 2018 at 6:32:18 pm

Can you roll back the driver to your Geforce GTX 660? I've never been on Win 10, but I have read it likes to install drivers and perhaps the driver it installed for your GPU is a later version than the one you were using in Win 8.1. Just a thought.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rob Ellis
on Oct 17, 2018 at 3:17:47 pm

Problem has been solved, although the solution doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

A few years back I was having some issues with my computer and as a last ditch attempt to sort it I made another account to log into on Windows 8, which for some reason sorted the problems I was having then.

I remembered this and I logged back into my old account, started Resolve, played some cinemaDNG... problem solved. I honestly have no clue how or why that would even sort the playback issue out but it has.

Thank you for the help guys, it's very much appreciated!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]