FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird noise patterns

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mansour Aoun
Weird noise patterns
on Oct 9, 2018 at 9:49:55 pm

Hey everyone, first time posting here.
I'm facing a problem that I encounter for the first time. I shot on a C300 mkII, on CanonLog3 and with an intra-frame compression. When I started colouring the shots in DaVinci, I noticed some weird noise patterns specially with out-of-focus shots, that existed as well in the untouched footage. At first I thought this was an aliasing problem but then I remarked that the patterns are not random, but rather they are in the shape of the filmed subject where it was in the previous frame (as shown in the pictures). Is this related to the intra-frame compression and can this issue be solved in Resolve? and if not, what is that and what can I do?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Weird noise patterns
on Oct 10, 2018 at 6:09:28 pm

Probably a combination of low colour resolution (8-bit?) and Long-GOP compression macro-blocking.

There are some OFX plugins that try to "undo" mpeg artifacts- mostly they just blur the offending area.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mansour Aoun
on Oct 12, 2018 at 4:25:10 pm

Thanks for the reply! It turned that it was an artefact caused by the camera's internal noise reduction. Canon corrected that by releasing a firmware update that allowed users to disable the NR, but apparently the camera I used wasn't updated. Anyway I couldn't see this artefact but until I started the colour grading process, which is too late, so I guess I'm stuck with this result...

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Oct 14, 2018 at 2:03:45 am

Mansour

You might want to try our DE:Noise plugin (spatial mode: OFF, temporal mode: Average 2 most similar pixels, threshold 100%) - can't quite tell from a still if the frames are just blended or just the features. It might not work on all shots.

Pierre at revisionfx dot com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]