FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting problem

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Dunford
Exporting problem
on Sep 17, 2018 at 8:42:49 pm

I'm fairly new to Resolve, having migrated from FCP7 recently. I'm getting the hang of the interface but I have an exporting problem that defies my investigation!
I'm exporting to a QT MOV file and in the export process the black level is lifted, thus making the image look a bit washed out.
Within Resolve, the image looks fine, good blacks, good saturation etc.
The incoming footage is from a Canon XF100, shooting in PAL. In the vector scopes the blacks are just on zero.
I'm thinking that somewhere there is a setting lifting the pedestal but I don't know where to look....

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Exporting problem
on Sep 17, 2018 at 9:26:34 pm

What type of QT Movie are you exporting, ProRes, DNxHD or other.
What are you viewing it with, QT, VLC, etc.
What are you setting your output video levels to Auto, Data or Video.

As an example even if you have everything set properly in Resolve and you export as DNxHD the Blacks will look lifted as you said when viewed in QT-7 even if they are correct. Try bringing the Video into another NLE to see if it looks correct there.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Exporting problem
on Sep 18, 2018 at 4:14:13 am

[Rob Dunford] "I'm fairly new to Resolve, having migrated from FCP7 recently. I'm getting the hang of the interface but I have an exporting problem that defies my investigation!
I'm exporting to a QT MOV file and in the export process the black level is lifted, thus making the image look a bit washed out."

Put color bars at the head of the file, then once the export is done, pull the file back into Resolve and look at it on the scope. If the bars have not changed, then the color and black level of the file have not changed. It's always possible for the operating system to affect the image in playback engines, particularly if you don't have a color-managed output and a calibrated display. Watch it on half-a-dozen other computers, I bet you'll see half-a-dozen different looks.

All you can really do is make sure it looks good in Resolve -- assuming you're using a color-managed output (meaning a BMD display card or adapter) and a calibrated monitor -- and then send it out to the world and hope for the best. For more, read page 1885 of the Resolve 15 manual: "Limitations When Grading With the Viewer on a Computer Display."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]