FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve Studio 15 - stable, freezed noise/grain?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ilona Konovalcika
Davinci Resolve Studio 15 - stable, freezed noise/grain?
on Sep 15, 2018 at 5:13:45 pm

Hello,

I`m wondering - is it possible somehow to freeze noise/grain in Davinci?

I need it not quite for a film effect, more for prevent banding. I already tried "Film Grain" but it is not static (or I just don`t understand how to make it static).
I worked basically in Sony Vegas before and there is such function like adding noise (I can select and adjust there which type - static or not). Such static noise (even quite a bit always helped me a lot).
So, is there something similar in Davinci?

Thanks in advance,
Ilona.

P.S. I`m really newbie in Davinci 😸

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Davinci Resolve Studio 15 - stable, freezed noise/grain?
on Sep 16, 2018 at 12:04:27 am

[Ilona Konovalcika] "I need it not quite for a film effect, more for prevent banding. I already tried "Film Grain" but it is not static (or I just don`t understand how to make it static). "
If you're trying to prevent banding in 8-bit footage, I would use the DeBand OFX plug-in, which is designed specifically to do this.

Return to posts index

Ilona Konovalcika
on Sep 16, 2018 at 1:15:42 am

No, I`m trying to prevent banding from 12 bit, surprisingly ☺
For example, if I need to make a mask somewhere on my shot (where I see a noise from matrix for example). I apply some gaussian blur, than I need to add grain, because blurred image falls apart into strips and grain usually fixes it.
And my camera is Blackmagic Ursa 4k, big one, not mini.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 16, 2018 at 5:16:41 am

[Ilona Konovalcika] "No, I`m trying to prevent banding from 12 bit, surprisingly ☺"
I'm confused. How are you monitoring the image, and how are you sure the banding is not just in the monitor as opposed to being in the image? There should be little or no banding in a true 10-bit display, assuming 10-bit processing in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 17, 2018 at 10:58:01 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Sep 18, 2018 at 1:38:28 am

The very definition of noise or grain is that it varies and is random. Why do you want a frozen frame of grain or noise? Not sure why you would prefer that to actual noise that moves to mask banding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]