FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output Gain Changes Seem to Effect All Nodes

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Merek Alam
Output Gain Changes Seem to Effect All Nodes
on Sep 1, 2018 at 10:29:00 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie when it comes to Resolve, but from what I understand, if one wants to turn down the strength of a LUT, all you have to do is reduce the Key Output Gain. However, when I do this, it seems to be reducing the contrast, or shifting it to a gray, rather than just lowering the strength/opacity of that node. Here's what I mean:

No LUT:

LUT (Full Strength):

LUT (Half Strength):

LUT (No Strength):

tl;dr: Is there a way to turn down the strength of the LUT without messing with the underlying image characteristics?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Output Gain Changes Seem to Effect All Nodes
on Sep 2, 2018 at 7:25:42 am

I just tried it, and I don't get a gray screen. Is it possible you have the HIGHLIGHT mode on?

Another way to selectively bypass a correction is to use a power window, have the window cover the entire image area, and then use OPACITY to dial out the correction. This works with LUTs, keys, sharpening, Log, LGG, anything.

There are pros and cons with using LUTs, but on the rare occasions I use them, I generally drop it in as the very first node, then correct after that. I concede that there are differing opinions on where to use them in the node tree; I try to avoid using them at all, but there are good reasons to use them on some occasions.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Output Gain Changes Seem to Effect All Nodes
on Sep 2, 2018 at 10:39:54 am

[Marc Wielage] "Is it possible you have the HIGHLIGHT mode on?"

Yep. You can see it in the picture. Press shift+H or click the little magic wand/highlighter on top the viewer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]