FORUMS: list search recent posts

60p clip dropped into 24p timeline = normal speed!?!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
60p clip dropped into 24p timeline = normal speed!?!
on Aug 29, 2018 at 10:49:46 am

ok, this is the first time I've ever experimented with 60p 4k footage. I shot at 60p, then created a new project in Resolve and set everything to 24p. I dropped in the footage, got the message asking if I wanted to change the timeline, clicked no. But when I play the footage, it plays at normal speed even though the framerate indicator says 24p.

‚Äč

What the h-e-double toothpicks am I doing wrong? Or right, depending on your viewpoint?

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: 60p clip dropped into 24p timeline = normal speed!?!
on Aug 29, 2018 at 11:28:49 am

Resolve (and pretty much all other NLEs) won't change the clip speed depending on the timeline. I think we have talked about this before but this is what's happening:

If you, for example, had 50fps footage and you're cutting that into a 25fps timeline then the program will drop every other frame. This is to keep it at the same duration. So if you want to cut in a second of 50fps footage it won't turn into two seconds of 25fps footage when you insert it.

So in a timeline your 60fps footage is dropping a bunch of frames with a certain cadence to run it in 24fps with the same duration. If you want to run it in slow motion you can change the clip to run at 24fps in the clip attributes or slow it down in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: 60p clip dropped into 24p timeline = normal speed!?!
on Aug 29, 2018 at 11:35:22 am

Yeah, I found the Casey Faris video on it right after I posted this, as is usually the case, but still, I appreciate you being so quick to respond. Cheers!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]