FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating seamless transition

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Michaels
Creating seamless transition
on Aug 28, 2018 at 10:35:01 pm

I am trying to create a seamless / unnoticeable transition between two clips. Each clip is framed exactly the same, camera is static/unchanged between the two. The only thing moving in the shots is a stream and plants gently blowing in the foreground and background. The transitions I've tried (e.g. dissolve, smooth cut, etc.) seem to introduce a small, but noticeable blur effect. Would it be better to somehow use Fusion to do this? Any suggestions for how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Creating seamless transition
on Aug 31, 2018 at 6:55:25 pm

Instead of transitioning between two complete frames, what if select pieces of one frame were replaced separately? As in, mask off the stream element from the first video, and dissolve it into the incoming shot, before replacing it with the actual stream in the incoming shot. Next, mask off the foreground from one shot and replace only that... etc., see what I'm saying? You'd still be doing dissolves, but dissolving a feathered selection, rather than the entire frame at once. Staged carefully and timed right, it may give an other-worldly quality, or just a different feeling.

Return to posts index

Jeff Michaels
on Aug 31, 2018 at 7:41:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Mark, I'll give that a try. What would be the best way to do that? Would I mask the videos in the Color tab and use the Cross Dissolve transition in Edit (with the various pieces stacked on top of each other)? Or would I be doing this in Fusion?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 31, 2018 at 7:47:02 pm

I'd guess either could work but maybe Fusion would give you easier control and simpler ways to revise the overall timing and the masks/layers.

Think of it like the misdirection techniques a magician uses to hide his trick. Pull their eye to a static, unchanging element, while you swap out other elements in the background.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]