FORUMS: list search recent posts

subtitle workflow -> feature request

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andi Winter
subtitle workflow -> feature request
on Aug 28, 2018 at 1:56:09 pm

dear bm!

i am beginning to use the new subtitle feature on an actual job, and so far it works
quite well. it is most def simpler than my old import belle nuit, render tiffs, export edl, import
tiffs workflow.

but one thing i noticed which still makes subtiteling a bit cumbersome:
every italic subtitle (marked as and in the stl or srt file) gets a random
format. so i have to look after them and manually change the settings (font, style, position etc.).

it would make sense to have a track style for normal subs and one for the ones marked as italic.
and: could you implement some kind of "faux italic" if the used font doesn't provide that?

thanks in advance
andi winter

ps: it would also be lovely to be able to search for subtitles!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: subtitle workflow -> feature request
on Aug 28, 2018 at 5:14:25 pm

I expect their word processing will improve, given that this is Subtitle0.1... As a free add-on, no... it certainly doesn't do what MacCaption or CaptionMaker are capable of, Which is exactly what you are asking it to do, but if you have explored any dedicated caption/subtitle tool, you will find that they have hefty investment antes and continuing support fees.

The fact that the Resolve timeline subtitle cells are timeline based is a VERY significant step forward, which should really give the application developers at Telestream something to think about. There is absolutely nothing graphic or gestural about the tools that we have been using from them for over a decade. However, it works just like a world processor, fully searchable, replaceable... all those things that you take for granted in Text/Word... etc.

The other really interesting aspect is being able to tie a text cell to a clip... that's something that makes it all editable, which is what just kills your work if things get re-versioned for various deliverables.

I did get a chance to mess with a feature-length project a few weeks ago that needed a lot of re-positioning, italicization and in/out trims (in Chinese, SimSun font) but it was way easier than doing the re-version in the original application. The workflow was bringing in an srt that I had built for a Blu-Ray release, which originally had three subtitle streams. This retains most of the markup instructions, and offered far better stylistic treatment in terms of letter attributes like HSL and drop-shadow. A step forward, and I expect ore to come.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: subtitle workflow -> feature request
on Aug 29, 2018 at 12:39:43 am

I don't think this forum is going to be the best way to pass on feature requests to BM. I'm sure they would like to get feedback. There was a process for that during the beta stage and I'm sure there is an official mechanism.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]